Configuration Mic 2 standalone
12Next >
1109 41 3-4 07:03
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cluni
lvl.2

Germany

Hello to all members - this is my first post.

I bougth the Mic 2 as a standalone device to get an audio recording for all my videos regardless where they are coming from (action cam, iPhone, ...). So I want to record to the internal memory and mix video and audio in post production.  

Is there any possibility to change the settings of the Mic 2 without the receiver? There are some things I would like to use - espeacially float 32 audio. Also I would like to see the correct date and time in my records.

Thanks for your halp in advance.
3-4 07:03
Use props
Natural Sounds and Sights
lvl.3

Spain

If you have the Osmo Action 4 you can change some of the settings using that, and more settings can be adjusted in the Pocket 3.
3-4 07:17
Use props
Cluni
lvl.2

Germany

No - this is my first DJI device.
Why isn't there the option to change settings e.g. in DJI Mimo?
3-4 07:19
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

Cluni Posted at 3-4 07:19
No - this is my first DJI device.
Why isn't there the option to change settings e.g. in DJI Mimo?

The mic was designed to be used with DJI camera’s primarily via its BT connection, said devices offer menu items to address the features you wish to use Mimo was created for use with the cameras not the mic1 or mic2 but that does not mean DJI couldn’t do so further down the line however, there is nothing to suggest settings applied would persist if the mic was switched off then on again given the design appears to be control set via receiver, pocket 3 or action 4 currently meaning you would potentially need to have recording triggered by mimo app not just the tx unit.
3-4 11:54
Use props
Cluni
lvl.2

Germany

On the packaging of the (standalone) mic is written, that it is for use with iPhone. Because of this there should be a possibility to setup all features of it without another device such as the receiver. This is my point of view. And I think it should be possible for them to implement these things - at least by a firmware change were the permanent settings for the mic are stored in the filesystem of the internal memory. And these settings then can be written by an app.
3-4 23:34
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cluni Posted at 3-4 23:34
On the packaging of the (standalone) mic is written, that it is for use with iPhone. Because of this there should be a possibility to setup all features of it without another device such as the receiver. This is my point of view. And I think it should be possible for them to implement these things - at least by a firmware change were the permanent settings for the mic are stored in the filesystem of the internal memory. And these settings then can be written by an app.

I would concur with settings being as last set being retained but as is the mic can be used with the iPhone, I would repeat that expecting full functionality with non DJI products is akin to having a Sony dslr and complaining a Nikon lens does not fit the mount.  I’m sure DJI will be noting issues for further revision but any change will likely be incremental subject to original hardware design constraints.
3-5 02:53
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Agree DJI stand alone is noted what the actual device can be used with and simply  should have also noted,  a camera and or Reciever required for use. standalone mic for other  uses as a internal recorder only

FAQ did not cover but can ask an expert

3-5 03:49
Use props
Cluni
lvl.2

Germany

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 3-5 02:53
I would concur with settings being as last set being retained but as is the mic can be used with the iPhone, I would repeat that expecting full functionality with non DJI products is akin to having a Sony dslr and complaining a Nikon lens does not fit the mount.  I’m sure DJI will be noting issues for further revision but any change will likely be incremental subject to original hardware design constraints.

I think this comparison is not good, because DJI prints a statement "Works with iPhone" on the packaging. So all the benefits including the setup for standalone behavior of the product should be given. But these are only my 5 cent.
At the moment I also have the Fulaim X5 bundle at home. Two mics, a receiver and battery case costs a few bucks more, only. The audio quality is pretty good. But I would go for the DJI because of float 32 - if I could use ist....
3-5 03:55
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Fulaim X5 is a  excellent budget set, owner of one. the quality is   excellent. I may have to get wit hFulain to send in my system, and ask why I now have my Audio wonder on me, feel it is the recievers end

the only downside of the Fulain is  their   viewing screen, I can not see what is happening   on the cameras as the screen faces to the sky, and while DJI faces to the front. and is way way brighter.

I now wonder   if people will start  to ask for a desktop version of a  wireless mic app. as its bluetooth
3-5 05:38
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

This is super misleading marketing. I totally agree Mic2 should be able to set settings without camera and using the mimo app.

You buy mic for iphone and cant adjust any settings. Can this scenario even happen at 2024?
3-5 05:50
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cluni Posted at 3-5 03:55
I think this comparison is not good, because DJI prints a statement "Works with iPhone" on the packaging. So all the benefits including the setup for standalone behavior of the product should be given. But these are only my 5 cent.
At the moment I also have the Fulaim X5 bundle at home. Two mics, a receiver and battery case costs a few bucks more, only. The audio quality is pretty good. But I would go for the DJI because of float 32 - if I could use ist....

Does the mic record sound when connected to an iPhone = yes so the statement is true it works with iPhone. I would agree there should be qualification that not all features will be available when doing so but that is a different argument and it’s no different using the mic with droid handsets.  Realistically what you should be pressing DJI for is 32bit float by default on tx as those with rx or camera can disable if desired but that still doesn’t give you gain or low cut control.  As for my camera analogy you offer fair comment but it was to illustrate you cannot expect all products to be 100% compatible 100% of the time and works with is not the same as fully compatible.
3-5 11:03
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aavis Posted at 3-5 05:50
This is super misleading marketing. I totally agree Mic2 should be able to set settings without camera and using the mimo app.

You buy mic for iphone and cant adjust any settings. Can this scenario even happen at 2024?

Valid question but you could equally ask why doesn’t apple offer such control in the iPhone for any mic connected.  I will repeat a prior comment that Mimo was created for camera control not mic control but also that DJI may add such a feature  if possible in a future iteration.  You could attempt a legal challenge against DJI but the term works with is a fairly broad statement and is not the same as fully operable using iPhone.  I do think DJI dropped the ball on stand alone mic use/control and I’m  pretty sure work will be underway to address it but you will never get a straight answer from DJI reps on the forum about if or when it appear.
3-5 11:24
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 3-5 11:24
Valid question but you could equally ask why doesn’t apple offer such control in the iPhone for any mic connected.  I will repeat a prior comment that Mimo was created for camera control not mic control but also that DJI may add such a feature  if possible in a future iteration.  You could attempt a legal challenge against DJI but the term works with is a fairly broad statement and is not the same as fully operable using iPhone.  I do think DJI dropped the ball on stand alone mic use/control and I’m  pretty sure work will be underway to address it but you will never get a straight answer from DJI reps on the forum about if or when it appear.

The product is not finished. It is sold unfinished.

You can buy Mic 2 to use it standalone as marketed. But you cant change settings.

I don't have this problem I have P3 and A4 but this really should not be the case that you sell cars but unable to select gears without buying a trailer because you can only select gears and use heated seats using the trailer. But can start the engine without trailer.
3-5 11:36
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aavis Posted at 3-5 11:36
The product is not finished. It is sold unfinished.

You can buy Mic 2 to use it standalone as marketed. But you cant change settings.

Your argument doesn’t stand up the product works with Action 4 & Pocket 3 the intended use case, side compatibility with other manufacturers products is not the same thing.  If you believe DJI have misleaded buyers then mount a legal case to challenge them. I am simply stating a fact  that if sound can be recorded to an iPhone using the device then technically the mic works with iPhone as stated. Again  the term ‘fully configurable by iPhone’ is never stated a small but key difference in any legal arena.
3-5 11:47
Use props
Cluni
lvl.2

Germany

@BaynhamPhoto: I do not agree with you. If there is the statement "Works with iPhone" then they have at least to tell the customers, that fundamental functions of the device can not be used because of missing other hardware... This would be the only and fair way to act!
3-6 00:01
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 3-5 11:47
Your argument doesn’t stand up the product works with Action 4 & Pocket 3 the intended use case, side compatibility with other manufacturers products is not the same thing.  If you believe DJI have misleaded buyers then mount a legal case to challenge them. I am simply stating a fact  that if sound can be recorded to an iPhone using the device then technically the mic works with iPhone as stated. Again  the term ‘fully configurable by iPhone’ is never stated a small but key difference in any legal arena.

I see you are a DJI fan boy. Suing is totally over aggressive method. It is not like "disleading". Marketing don't share knowledge with technical but this is not the point at all.

Mic 2 works standalone without any external products. But you can't change settings without second device. At least it should be possible to do using MIMO app. But it is not.

You can go for a walk and use Mic2 for recording stand alone audio and use it for later. But can't change settings is the problem.

Like Sony, Jabra and many other headphones. To change settings more than power up, pairing, sound level etc. you need to use phone or computer application to change settings. This is what is missing for Mic2. It should be possible to change settings using MIMO.

If you buy Sony headphones. Would you like to buy also A74 to change settings for headphones? This is the same thing. I noticed this from the start when I got P3 CC months ago. I believed that it comes to mimo app but still mimo app can't be used for that.
3-6 00:43
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Stand alone mic was basically covered on the official site and a Rx will be the option.  Maybe DJI should  work on an App and put a price tag to it, I am sure IMHO, over time you will get what you wished for but that would not be enough to satasfy ya.
3-6 04:26
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aavis Posted at 3-6 00:43
I see you are a DJI fan boy. Suing is totally over aggressive method. It is not like "disleading". Marketing don't share knowledge with technical but this is not the point at all.

Mic 2 works standalone without any external products. But you can't change settings without second device. At least it should be possible to do using MIMO app. But it is not.

Brand agnostic no DJI fan I purchase my tech to meet my use case including Sony headphones
3-6 06:44
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 3-6 04:26
Stand alone mic was basically covered on the official site and a Rx will be the option.  Maybe DJI should  work on an App and put a price tag to it, I am sure IMHO, over time you will get what you wished for but that would not be enough to satasfy ya.

Yup would seem the pragmatic approach wouldn’t it and that’s where DJI dropped the ball selling as a stand alone item immediately on release without one & as covered on prior posts should be more open regarding restrictive functionality when not using the rx/oa4 or op3 as oppose ‘works with’.
3-6 07:00
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cluni Posted at 3-6 00:01
@BaynhamPhoto: I do not agree with you. If there is the statement "Works with iPhone" then they have at least to tell the customers, that fundamental functions of the device can not be used because of missing other hardware... This would be the only and fair way to act!

You may not but I agree with you at least in principle, I simply make the point a mic should record sound and it does, it also connects to the iPhone. Arguments over additional features being configurable is another matter, bottom line you had expectations that were not met from your purchase based on vendor information, in such instances I return the product as unfit for purpose and move on to find something that is.  You have your own interpretation of what works with means and that’s fine, DJI appear to have another or get lost in translation, to be absolutely clear my own view is if selling as a single unit features should be controllable out of the box and that needs a resolution but it does not mean I am blinkered to another interpretation DJI or otherwise.  Debate is healthy hopefully DJI grasp the importance of reaching a resolution on this issue not just for iPhone.  If you do return the mic pop back in and let us know if you find a working solution many are in the same boat.
3-6 07:46
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 3-6 07:00
Yup would seem the pragmatic approach wouldn’t it and that’s where DJI dropped the ball selling as a stand alone item immediately on release without one & as covered on prior posts should be more open regarding restrictive functionality when not using the rx/oa4 or op3 as oppose ‘works with’.

OP3 and standalone was a kit, and  that is where the troubles Began . Sme one at DJI wants this pushed out troubles or not I say IMHO
3-6 08:01
Use props
Cluni
lvl.2

Germany

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 3-6 07:46
You may not but I agree with you at least in principle, I simply make the point a mic should record sound and it does, it also connects to the iPhone. Arguments over additional features being configurable is another matter, bottom line you had expectations that were not met from your purchase based on vendor information, in such instances I return the product as unfit for purpose and move on to find something that is.  You have your own interpretation of what works with means and that’s fine, DJI appear to have another or get lost in translation, to be absolutely clear my own view is if selling as a single unit features should be controllable out of the box and that needs a resolution but it does not mean I am blinkered to another interpretation DJI or otherwise.  Debate is healthy hopefully DJI grasp the importance of reaching a resolution on this issue not just for iPhone.  If you do return the mic pop back in and let us know if you find a working solution many are in the same boat.

At least in the German version of the DJI website ist described, that the settings for the mic 2 are configurable in the Mimo app. This is crystal clear to me - isn't it? You only have to read and translate the last sentence...
"Die Einstellungen des Senders kannst du auch über die DJI Mimo App anpassen." ==> "You can also adjust the settings of the transmitter via the DJI Mimo app."
3-6 08:51
Use props
Cluni
lvl.2

Germany

And also in the footnotes there are two interesting points:

4. Wenn der DJI Mic 2-Sender über Bluetooth mit einem Smartphone verbunden ist, muss die intelligente Geräuschunterdrückung in der DJI Mimo App aktiviert werden. Bei Videoaufnahmen ist die Geräuschunterdrückung nur verfügbar, wenn diese mit der DJI Mimo App durchgeführt werden.
5. Wenn der DJI Mic 2-Sender über Bluetooth mit einem Smartphone verbunden ist, muss die interne 32-Bit-Aufnahme in der DJI Mimo App aktiviert werden. Bei Videoaufnahmen ist die interne Audioaufzeichnung nur verfügbar, wenn diese mit der DJI Mimo App durchgeführt werden

But I can‘t connect the Mic 2 in the Mimo app. It simply won‘t be found there. I‘ve tried this with and without connected the mic in the BT-settings of my iPhone…
3-6 09:27
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cluni Posted at 3-6 09:27
And also in the footnotes there are two interesting points:

4. Wenn der DJI Mic 2-Sender über Bluetooth mit einem Smartphone verbunden ist, muss die intelligente Geräuschunterdrückung in der DJI Mimo App aktiviert werden. Bei Videoaufnahmen ist die Geräuschunterdrückung nur verfügbar, wenn diese mit der DJI Mimo App durchgeführt werden.

Looks like you might have a case there based on the website content.  I have just completed some testing via my iPad pro using Mimo to check if anything shows up when the mic is connected to the Action 4 but there is still nothing showing in the menus unlike on the Action 4, the mic icon is shown top of the app screen showing input but there is no menu shown on tapping it.  I then plugged in the receiver and started Mimo but still nothing for mic controls showing up.

I would add that in the faq on the store page it does state that when connected to a phone the nr&internal recording are not available so quite a bit of inconsistency across different pages but your German content stating control via Mimo isn’t accurate based on my immediate trials either directly, attached to the oa4 or when the receiver is plugged into the mobile device.  Looks like DJI need to qualify when controls will appear in Mimo.
3-6 10:12
Use props
Cluni
lvl.2

Germany

For me this sounds like the mic only has to be connected to the iPhone via BT and then it should be usable in the Mimo app.
3-6 10:15
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 3-6 10:12
Looks like you might have a case there based on the website content.  I have just completed some testing via my iPad pro using Mimo to check if anything shows up when the mic is connected to the Action 4 but there is still nothing showing in the menus unlike on the Action 4, the mic icon is shown top of the app screen showing input but there is no menu shown on tapping it.  I then plugged in the receiver and started Mimo but still nothing for mic controls showing up.

I would add that in the faq on the store page it does state that when connected to a phone the nr&internal recording are not available so quite a bit of inconsistency across different pages but your German content stating control via Mimo isn’t accurate based on my immediate trials either directly, attached to the oa4 or when the receiver is plugged into the mobile device.  Looks like DJI need to qualify when controls will appear in Mimo.

3-6 10:17
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cluni Posted at 3-6 10:15
For me this sounds like the mic only has to be connected to the iPhone via BT and then it should be usable in the Mimo app.

Yes you would think based on what you shared but broadening the tests proves it cannot be operated via Mimo as stated even if connected to the camera first where mic menus can be seen, those menu options have typically mirrored in Mimo to date but not in this instance.  The store faq still has relevance as it will likely be the DJI fall back response.

Can a DJI representative clarify the Mimo app position in respect of mic operations current and future please.
3-6 10:31
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

thank you  @Baynh...

DJI should also include in there  Desktop  connections as well.  funny thing is I am rendering a video and Yep I  kind of knew they disabled it as well in ways.   excellent find
3-6 11:01
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cluni Posted at 3-6 10:15
For me this sounds like the mic only has to be connected to the iPhone via BT and then it should be usable in the Mimo app.

Tested on droid 14 handset using latest Mimo app and same outcome, no sign of mic control options in mimo using mic alone, action 4 & mic or receiver & mic. Mic is shown connected for call use on handset ok. That eliminates variables and app on differing os.

3-6 12:00
Use props
Cluni
lvl.2

Germany

So, I've been in contact with the German DJI Support and asked them about the problem. His answer:

"Ja, da liegen Sie (leider) richtig. Es gibt aktuell noch ein Kompatiblitätsproblem mit DJI Mimo, weswegen das Mic nicht angezeigt wird. Es wird mit Hochdruck an einem Update gearbeitet"
means he agreed that they still have problems to integrate the Mic 2 into the Mimo app and that they are working on this to solve this problem. He also told me that the same problem exists with the Android version of Mimo.
He couldn't give me an estimation of how long it will take to get a working version of Mimo for the Mic 2. So all we can do is sit and wait for it.
3-7 04:44
Use props
Cluni
lvl.2

Germany

Hi @all.
A few minutes ago I received an update of Mimo. Nothing is mentioned about the Mic 2 and I don't have the Mic 2 with me at the moment. Has anyone tried it after the update?
3-12 23:48
Use props
Cluni
lvl.2

Germany

Nothing has changed - still the same behavior with the new version.
3-13 23:35
Use props
alexwhelan.art
lvl.1
Flight distance : 376654 ft
Netherlands

Any updates? looking to buy the mic stand alone
4-22 18:53
Use props
Bernd Hermanns
lvl.1

Germany

Unfortunately not
4-22 21:01
Use props
joeripper
lvl.1

Russia

Up this thread, it's really important to add this functionality to DJI Mimo App
4-23 03:48
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

OA4: camera gain 0db
bt single mic
Hollyland trs lav mic

4-25 01:10
Use props
Bernd Hermanns
lvl.1

Germany

This isn't the point...
4-25 01:15
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

Bernd Hermanns Posted at 4-25 01:15
This isn't the point...
wait for Action 5
or use the receiver!
4-25 01:53
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

IMHO:    Mic 2  was released, there was no App for hte Mic 1,  and they knew the Mic 2 should have  included an App, seems they are behind times, and the mic is not on their priority list. If you follow how DJI answers they simply play it off. If you are after an App to run a mic, it may be best to  get that make and model, sell off it when DJI comes around, otherwise the answer is going to be dragged on

to keep compct is great but like Lutzmix showed is a  alternative.  I gotten mine, and not holding my breath (oldschool saying)
4-25 03:07
Use props
Bernd Hermanns
lvl.1

Germany

lutzmix Posted at 4-25 01:53
wait for Action 5
or use the receiver!

You have to read the header and the posts if this thread.
4-25 07:30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules