12Next >
361 40 3-5 08:22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cacike47
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3230748 ft

United States

Decided to travel south and find a "newer" spot and found this abandoned area with the old water tank (which is probably as old, as I am)
Looking South the NYC Skyline is seen. Thanks to Cal Tjader's and Eddie Palmieri's "Yellow Days" permission provided

3-5 08:22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice POI on that old water tank.    Nice that you caught a train in the footage also.
3-5 09:40
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-5 09:40
Very nice POI on that old water tank.    Nice that you caught a train in the footage also.

Gracias Capitan' I was hesitant to post this since there wasn't much that I felt was worth posting in this somewhat "newer spot." I need to start doing some real travelling' because I'm losing interest in the same ol' spots. After all this time, I'm going to see about starting up with an FPV.  Going on the simulator first to see if this old geezer can do it right before taking the plunge.  I still have my RC Planes to also look forward to.
3-5 13:11
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Nice gaps for your fpv!
3-5 22:56
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Strange that the tower has been left, when the rest of the area has been flattened.  But a nice subject for a POI flight
3-5 23:14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very cool Cacike,  we just dont have those here.  
3-6 01:16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 3-5 13:11
Gracias Capitan' I was hesitant to post this since there wasn't much that I felt was worth posting in this somewhat "newer spot." I need to start doing some real travelling' because I'm losing interest in the same ol' spots. After all this time, I'm going to see about starting up with an FPV.  Going on the simulator first to see if this old geezer can do it right before taking the plunge.  I still have my RC Planes to also look forward to.

Good luck with the FPV endeavor.  I bought a cinewhoop drone a couple of years back but every time I tried flying it I would get vertigo or dizziness.  I even tried flying it while sitting down and still got light headed.  I was told It is caused when there is a disconnect between what your eyes see and what your body feels.  So I sold it and haven't tried FPV since.
3-6 03:36
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-6 03:36
Good luck with the FPV endeavor.  I bought a cinewhoop drone a couple of years back but every time I tried flying it I would get vertigo or dizziness.  I even tried flying it while sitting down and still got light headed.  I was told It is caused when there is a disconnect between what your eyes see and what your body feels.  So I sold it and haven't tried FPV since.

What a bummer, sorry to hear that..Well, I'm banking that I do not suffer from the same experience.
Another issue I'm concerned about, is finding a few good spots to fly. Just flying over water is not what I want to spend all that money for. Then there's always waiting for the next DJI drone. Word is it may be a revised Avata. We'll know soon enough.
3-6 07:55
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 3-5 23:14
Strange that the tower has been left, when the rest of the area has been flattened.  But a nice subject for a POI flight

Gracias Blériot, you have an excellent discerning eye, I didn't notice that. It was my first visit there and I don't know if I will go back. I was told by local resident that she walks her dog there but that it was trespassing although no one has bother her.
3-6 08:01
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cacike47 Posted at 3-6 08:01
Gracias Blériot, you have an excellent discerning eye, I didn't notice that. It was my first visit there and I don't know if I will go back. I was told by local resident that she walks her dog there but that it was trespassing although no one has bother her.

Long-term desolation then.  No sign of impending re-development?
3-6 08:56
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 3-6 07:55
What a bummer, sorry to hear that..Well, I'm banking that I do not suffer from the same experience.
Another issue I'm concerned about, is finding a few good spots to fly. Just flying over water is not what I want to spend all that money for. Then there's always waiting for the next DJI drone. Word is it may be a revised Avata. We'll know soon enough.

I think the FPV didn't sell as wells as expected but it seems the Avata was a real hit.  So if I had to bet I'd say there will be an Avata 2 on the near horizon.  Although I haven't seen any rumors on a release date yet.  
3-6 13:38
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5009016 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great point of interest. Plenty there to keep your attention.
3-9 11:23
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 3-6 08:56
Long-term desolation then.  No sign of impending re-development?

I was wondering the same especially since any kind real estate in this area would be very expensive.
While there I noticed quite a few of these pipe sticking out of the ground which look very similar to the ones at the RC club, I fly at.  If they are the same then these pipes measure the level of methane from a prior waste dump. So that's one possibility besides the land owner's desire for a price too high at this point. The area would make a good commercial waterfront investment although there are already a few up and down river.
3-10 11:23
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-6 13:38
I think the FPV didn't sell as wells as expected but it seems the Avata was a real hit.  So if I had to bet I'd say there will be an Avata 2 on the near horizon.  Although I haven't seen any rumors on a release date yet.

Pretty sure I'm not the only one wondering if an Avata 2 will be coming this year.
3-10 11:25
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 3-9 11:23
Great point of interest. Plenty there to keep your attention.

I would consider going back to a newly found park nearby where it is permissible to fly. This park was where I originally planning to go to.
3-10 11:27
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 3-10 11:27
I would consider going back to a newly found park nearby where it is permissible to fly. This park was where I originally planning to go to.

It looks like no one would bother you there.
3-10 11:41
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cacike47 Posted at 3-10 11:23
I was wondering the same especially since any kind real estate in this area would be very expensive.
While there I noticed quite a few of these pipe sticking out of the ground which look very similar to the ones at the RC club, I fly at.  If they are the same then these pipes measure the level of methane from a prior waste dump. So that's one possibility besides the land owner's desire for a price too high at this point. The area would make a good commercial waterfront investment although there are already a few up and down river.

Since it's what we call a Brownfield site ( former industry and chance of toxic pollution) that tends to rule out housing development unless the land is cleaned first. If there's methane from a former waste dump that would explain it.
3-10 11:54
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 3-10 11:25
Pretty sure I'm not the only one wondering if an Avata 2 will be coming this year.

I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything from some of the more reliable leakers but seems all quiet at this time.  
3-10 13:08
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 3-10 11:41
It looks like no one would bother you there.

Yes, it's at an out of way location, kinda place where no one will find you.
3-13 10:45
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 3-10 11:54
Since it's what we call a Brownfield site ( former industry and chance of toxic pollution) that tends to rule out housing development unless the land is cleaned first. If there's methane from a former waste dump that would explain it.

I'm sure one day that site will "miraculously" get "cleaned up" and some commercial developer will start working on building it up.
3-13 10:50
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cacike47 Posted at 3-13 10:50
I'm sure one day that site will "miraculously" get "cleaned up" and some commercial developer will start working on building it up.

Better be ready to document and report progress then
3-13 13:46
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 3-13 10:50
I'm sure one day that site will "miraculously" get "cleaned up" and some commercial developer will start working on building it up.

We have one with old gas tanks. They will be building windmills for energy there now.
3-13 16:26
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 3-13 13:46
Better be ready to document and report progress then

I will use the drone and my Akaso camera to monitor the eventual development.
3-14 15:15
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 3-13 16:26
We have one with old gas tanks. They will be building windmills for energy there now.

Now that's a progressive approach..good to hear.
3-14 15:16
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 3-14 15:16
Now that's a progressive approach..good to hear.

Eventually these energy companies will abandon the old remnants and bring on the new tech like solar and wind.
3-14 15:25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cacike47 Posted at 3-14 15:15
I will use the drone and my Akaso camera to monitor the eventual development.

3-14 23:46
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That must have been a nice site before all the industrial stuff was taken down (judging by the amount of concrete)
It might even have had a railroad connection at one point.
Nice footage!
3-19 23:12
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-19 23:12
That must have been a nice site before all the industrial stuff was taken down (judging by the amount of concrete)
It might even have had a railroad connection at one point.
Nice footage!

You know come to think of it, you might have something there. It's very possible that many decades ago the freight and commuter trains ran though that area. Especially since it is so close to where the tracks are now.
3-20 07:37
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Cacike47 Posted at 3-20 07:37
You know come to think of it, you might have something there. It's very possible that many decades ago the freight and commuter trains ran though that area. Especially since it is so close to where the tracks are now.

In the past, a railroad connection was sort of 'required' for industries to settle somewhere.
3-21 01:10
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-21 01:10
In the past, a railroad connection was sort of 'required' for industries to settle somewhere.

I went back to the photos I took that day and low and behold there are active railroad tracks are right there. I didn't notice them that day. you are exactly correct, the Metro North Hudson line trains still pass by every day. Good catch Pete!
3-22 06:39
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Cacike47 Posted at 3-22 06:39
I went back to the photos I took that day and low and behold there are active railroad tracks are right there. I didn't notice them that day. you are exactly correct, the Metro North Hudson line trains still pass by every day. Good catch Pete!

I'm trained for this
3-22 08:01
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-22 08:01
I'm trained for this

Aaah! I see.. no wonder.
3-24 17:56
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Cacike47 Posted at 3-24 17:56
Aaah! I see.. no wonder.

It was a bad joke
Train-ed
3-24 22:52
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

Cacike47 Posted at 3-24 17:56
Aaah! I see.. no wonder.

That was a good joke, it's just that I didn't "catch the trained"
3-25 14:19
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Good job! Was that a manual or automatic orbit?
4-14 03:53
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

USER001 Posted at 4-14 03:53
Good job!  Was that a manual or automatic orbit?

I rarely use hyper-lapse but since this was a new spot, I decided to go auto.
4-14 08:20
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Cacike47 Posted at 4-14 08:20
I rarely use hyper-lapse but since this was a new spot, I decided to go auto.

That makes sense. And what drone did you use?
4-14 08:21
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

USER001 Posted at 4-14 08:21
That makes sense.  And what drone did you use?

My trusty 4 year old MA2 but my Avata 2 will be arriving tomorrow.
4-14 08:25
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Cacike47 Posted at 4-14 08:25
My trusty 4 year old MA2  but my Avata 2 will be arriving tomorrow.

Nice! Mine is coming on Tuesday.
4-14 08:26
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer

United States

USER001 Posted at 4-14 08:26
Nice! Mine is coming on Tuesday.

Well, we'll share experiences then, did you use a simulator?
4-14 08:32
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules