822 31 3-7 07:48
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Here I show you why you should record in 4:3 instead of 16:9 with your OA4 and still get straight lines with Ultra Wide.
Last year I made this for OA3, but OA4 have different hardware so need different adjustments.

3-7 07:48
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

that looks awesome thanks for sharing
3-7 08:41
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Great effort here.
But I can't agree. When dewarping the 16:9 or the 4:3 in Davinci shot on ultra wide, the morphing on the edges when moving the camera is so horrible that I get motionsick

I will stick to 16:9 and wide / standard
3-7 09:55
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Impressive demo.  Thanks for sharing.  
3-7 11:06
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Thanks guys.

Mizzu I know, but it is possible to adjust in post for up/down if the camera have missed when used as POV cam. I use Ultra Wide since Wide have more distortion.
3-7 13:14
Use props
Tanhy
lvl.2

Czechia

Great thinking, but I guess Davinci dewarp doesnt work as it should, its not mathematically correct.
I use 4K 4:3 WIDE without stabilization, shutter auto 1/100+, iso 100-1600, Dlog-m, sharpness and noise reduction both -2.
Then I open the files in gyroflow and there choose how stable I want it to be, also, dewarp there works perfectly and you can choose how much you want. Then export in Prores or 10bit h265 to Davinci for further editing.
I found this to be the best workflow for the best image quality possible. It takes some learning time, but then its really fast, its worth it, as you use as much sensor as you can all the time, if theres a big amount of movement, you can use more stabilization and if there are parts of the clip with less motion, you can use less and use more of the image in the same file, it adapts to the movement.
Shame in DJI they do not allow you to save gyro data in ULTRAWIDE tho, would be even better, more sensor area used and more space to stabilize... I made a thread about it, but DJI bot didnt really answer anything.
3-7 14:35
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 290689 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Tanhy Posted at 3-7 14:35
Great thinking, but I guess Davinci dewarp doesnt work as it should, its not mathematically correct.
I use 4K 4:3 WIDE without stabilization, shutter auto 1/100+, iso 100-1600, Dlog-m, sharpness and noise reduction both -2.
Then I open the files in gyroflow and there choose how stable I want it to be, also, dewarp there works perfectly and you can choose how much you want. Then export in Prores or 10bit h265 to Davinci for further editing.

Due to the double rendering (Gyroflow and then Davinci Resolve), image errors are recognisable in fine details.
Regardless of whether you output HEVC or ProRes with Gyroflow.
3-10 11:43
Use props
Tanhy
lvl.2

Czechia

Karl53 Posted at 3-10 11:43
Due to the double rendering (Gyroflow and then Davinci Resolve), image errors are recognisable in fine details.
Regardless of whether you output HEVC or ProRes with Gyroflow.

I didnt notice any significant degradation, 4K prores 4:4:4 looks just fine, If the file size is not a problem.
Regardless, you can use Gyroflow plugin inside Davinci if you are worried about rerendering your footage.
3-10 12:34
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Tanhy Posted at 3-10 12:34
I didnt notice any significant degradation, 4K prores 4:4:4 looks just fine, If the file size is not a problem.
Regardless, you can use Gyroflow plugin inside Davinci if you are worried about rerendering your footage.

with the plugIn in Davinci Reolve same problem.

for example:  if you are walking in wood, image errors (picture muddy) are recognisable in fine details.
Same test  with original DJI file - no problems!

All video files were processed in Davinci Resolve with HEVC output.
3-10 14:50
Use props
Tanhy
lvl.2

Czechia

Karl53 Posted at 3-10 14:50
with the plugIn in Davinci Reolve same problem.

for example:  if you are walking in wood, image errors (picture muddy) are recognisable in fine details.

Interesting, could you provide the original source files for me to look at?
3-10 15:29
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Tanhy Posted at 3-10 15:29
Interesting, could you provide the original source files for me to look at?

There are 3 files (1.4GB) in the DJI folder:

https://magentacloud.de/s/d5iy3468NEZDoA8

1. 036A out of cam unstabilised 4K 4:3
2. 036A_stabilized out of Gyroflow (Version 1.5.4) HEVC
3. 037 out of cam stabilised 4K 16:9

You can see the problem (036A_stabilized) in the fine tree branches in the top centre right.
It makes no difference whether HEVC or ProRes output
3-11 00:53
Use props
Tanhy
lvl.2

Czechia

Karl53 Posted at 3-11 00:53
There are 3 files (1.4GB) in the DJI folder:

https://magentacloud.de/s/d5iy3468NEZDoA8

Thank you!
I think I see what you mean. Looks like chroma artefacts in some frames, thin branches sometimes blend with the background so it looks a bit like flickering. But source file has the same problem, maybe it has something to do with denoising in camera?
A bit strange, why would there be difference at all. But I dont think rerendering does this, sure, rerendered, especially stabilized, footage will always be a bit worse due to pixel avareging, but in-camera stabilization does the same thing. Unstabilized source footage should look the best, so I wonder why it does not in this case. My guess is the denoising and maybe sharpness acting up.

I also noticed that in-camera stabilized footage looks more oversharpened, I guess because of the crop? Both of them look oversharpened, are these default settings for sharpenes and denoising? I find -2 on both looks much cleaner and less smartphone-like.
3-11 08:48
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Tanhy Posted at 3-11 08:48
Thank you!
I think I see what you mean. Looks like chroma artefacts in some frames, thin branches sometimes blend with the background so it looks a bit like flickering. But source file has the same problem, maybe it has something to do with denoising in camera?
A bit strange, why would there be difference at all. But I dont think rerendering does this, sure, rerendered, especially stabilized, footage will always be a bit worse due to pixel avareging, but in-camera stabilization does the same thing. Unstabilized source footage should look the best, so I wonder why it does not in this case. My guess is the denoising and maybe sharpness acting up.

My settings in D-LOG are basically:

Noise: -2
Sharpness: +2

If you set the sharpness to -2, you have the big problem that subsequent sharpening is very difficult in the editing programme with this video material.

I want to see an image in 4K that is also usable in terms of sharpness, otherwise I could use FHD.

But the above problem has nothing at all to do with sharpness.
3-11 12:05
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Karl53 Posted at 3-11 12:05

For me, that means in the future:

I always film with 4K wide with Rocksteady (normal), which gives the best overall picture (even at the edges)
And if necessary, I'll use Davinci Resolve Lens Correction, which works very well.

I've never had such image errors with it so far, tested again today.
3-11 12:26
Use props
Tanhy
lvl.2

Czechia

Karl53 Posted at 3-11 12:05

I would disagree on this with you. Sure, for use straight out of the camera, no editing, sharpness is probably good idea, dont know if +2, but at least 0 is ok.
But for any kind of postproduction, its best to turn the sharpening off, which is -2 in this case. Details are still there, but that horrible ovesharpened look is gone. (sharpness and detail are always misundersood)
You can always add  sharpening in post, its the same thing, really. Its just how it should be done, clear image ready for color correction, vfx, grading and just then sharpening at the end.
My tests came back with -2 both for the best possible image quality.
I recommend this guy, a bit more technical than others, but easy to understand for most:

I do not mean to argue, just sharing my knowledge. I do video/vfx professionally and had the opportunity to test Arri Alexa 35, Red, bunch of consumer 360 cams and many more.
3-11 13:36
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Tanhy Posted at 3-11 13:36
I would disagree on this with you. Sure, for use straight out of the camera, no editing, sharpness is probably good idea, dont know if +2, but at least 0 is ok.
But for any kind of postproduction, its best to turn the sharpening off, which is -2 in this case. Details are still there, but that horrible ovesharpened look is gone. (sharpness and detail are always misundersood)
You can always add  sharpening in post, its the same thing, really. Its just how it should be done, clear image ready for color correction, vfx, grading and just then sharpening at the end.

Today I watched the videos edited in Davinci Resolve on my 65 inch TV and I'm happy with my settings.

So everyone has their own flavour.
3-11 13:52
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Karl53 Posted at 3-11 13:52
Today I watched the videos edited in Davinci Resolve on my 65 inch TV and I'm happy with my settings.

So everyone has their own flavour.

Here is a note on what I do with the D-LOG clips from Action 4 in Davinci Resolve:

1) I use the original LUT from DJI of the D-LOG M Action 4
2) I set the GAMMA from 0.00 to between 0.05 ... 0,10

Normally this is enough

Unfortunately, you can't use the normal colour mode with the Action 4, as this is unusable due to the strong image noise!
3-11 23:30
Use props
Tanhy
lvl.2

Czechia

Karl53 Posted at 3-11 23:30
Here is a note on what I do with the D-LOG clips from Action 4 in Davinci Resolve:

1) I use the original LUT from DJI of the D-LOG M Action 4

Ok, that is perfectly fine workflow if its good enough.
Are you using free or studio version of Davinci?
I usually denoise all my footage on the first node using Neat video plugin, then convert footage to Linear using CST, do all the color corrections, grade, then effects like glow.., another CST to rec.709 and then sharpening. I am used to this workflow as I usually work with CGI and real footage so Linear is a must.
DJI didnt releas information about Dlogm yet, so its not 100% correct, but close enough for most situations. I do this because of 10bit working space, othervise its 8bit. I am working on my own profile to correctly map the Dlogm to linear.
3-12 11:37
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Tanhy Posted at 3-12 11:37
I usually denoise all my footage on the first node using Neat video plugin, then convert footage to Linear using CST, do all the color corrections, grade, then effects like glow.., another CST to rec.709 and then sharpening. I am used to this workflow as I usually work with CGI and real footage so Linear is a must.

I use studio version
Denoise only if necessary (evening shots) with Davinci Resolve

Output 4K h265 Main 10

Question: why is the image noise so high in "Normal" colour mode that it is not usable?
3-12 12:22
Use props
Tanhy
lvl.2

Czechia

Karl53 Posted at 3-12 12:22
I use studio version
Denoise only if necessary (evening shots) with Davinci Resolve

I havent had that much noise in Normal mode, it is noisier, but I guess its due to in camera sharpening and maybe 8bit? In-camera sharpening does help with edges, but also makes the noise more noticable. Especially if it is set to +2.
3-12 13:45
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

"Normal" colour mode is 10bit since the firmware update in December.
My settings: sharpness 0, noise -1

There is no problem at all with the Pocket 3.

By the way, I've only had the Action 4 for 5 days
3-13 00:43
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Tanhy Posted at 3-12 13:45
I havent had that much noise in Normal mode, it is noisier, but I guess its due to in camera sharpening and maybe 8bit? In-camera sharpening does help with edges, but also makes the noise more noticable. Especially if it is set to +2.

So, now I have noticed that with the settings in colour "Normal" ...

sharpness -1, noise -1

... can achieve usable results without much image noise
3-13 03:10
Use props
Tanhy
lvl.2

Czechia

Karl53 Posted at 3-13 00:43
"Normal" colour mode is 10bit since the firmware update in December.
My settings: sharpness 0, noise -1

Oh, I didnt know that normal is now also 10bit, good to know!
3-13 09:03
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

Tanhy Posted at 3-12 11:37
I usually denoise all my footage on the first node using Neat video plugin, then convert footage to Linear using CST, do all the color corrections, grade, then effects like glow.., another CST to rec.709 and then sharpening. I am used to this workflow as I usually work with CGI and real footage so Linear is a must.

Can you export your node structure for us to try it out?
3-17 00:08
Use props
Tanhy
lvl.2

Czechia

Anonymous1 Posted at 3-17 00:08
Can you export your node structure for us to try it out?

Sure. Its not perfect, but good enough.
First node is empty as I use plugins for noise reduction, so it would be there.
Exposure node works best if adjusting only gain and gamma, but this leads to highlights clipping, so the tone mappings "max input" in last CST has to be adjusted acordingly.
After image correction comes color grading "look" (just a placeholder with minor ajdustments for one specific shot, probably wont work with yours)
For more "filmic" look, I use costum film grain at the end. (not included)

https://files.fm/u/6z4veqnbjb
3-18 12:08
Use props
djiuser_p41EvEioDa3T
New
Peru

Gentlemen of DJI:
PUT A RECORD BUTTON ON THE SCREEN, THAT START AND STOP THE RECORDING!
just as smartphones have it and so has the Insta 360 Ace Pro.
The physical record button is extremely hard,
those of us who make Vlogs are repeatedly hitting this button
that makes our hand hurt and moves the shots because of how hard it is,
and it is also impractical because it is at the top and not in front.
If we use the voice command it ruins the recording, since the “Stop Recording”
appears in the video and spoils the shot.
I hope they make a software update,
very soon in the short term, and that they include the record button on the screen.
3-19 16:40
Use props
Tanhy
lvl.2

Czechia

djiuser_p41EvEioDa3T Posted at 3-19 16:40
Gentlemen of DJI:
PUT A RECORD BUTTON ON THE SCREEN, THAT START AND STOP THE RECORDING!
just as smartphones have it and so has the Insta 360 Ace Pro.

This isnt relevant to this thread, could you move it to another or create one for this specific question?
3-19 20:44
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice tips!
3-21 10:07
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

Tanhy Posted at 3-18 12:08
Sure. Its not perfect, but good enough.
First node is empty as I use plugins for noise reduction, so it would be there.
Exposure node works best if adjusting only gain and gamma, but this leads to highlights clipping, so the tone mappings "max input" in last CST has to be adjusted acordingly.

For some unknown reason, I don't download your file in any of my browsers.  When I click the download button, nothing happens.
3-24 11:26
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Great demo.
4-21 10:25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tanhy Posted at 3-19 20:44
This isnt relevant to this thread, could you move it to another or create one for this specific question?

New users cannot create a new thread so they can only post on another thread.
4-21 17:42
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules