Liability Insurance for recreational flyer of Pro 3 in Europe
918 10 3-8 04:46
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobSue
lvl.1
Flight distance : 212999 ft
Australia

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so my apology in advance if it's the wrong place.

I am considering taking my DJI Pro3 with my on my upcoming trip to Europe. I will be travelling to Italy, Austria, Czeck Republic, Switzrland, France and England, but realistically, I can only see myself flying in Italy and France, due to time constraints. I will only be there for a total of 7 weeks and will probably only fly it during an absolute max of 10 days.

From what I have read, the new rules require that I register myself, put the required sticker on my device, and have liability insurance for up to 1million Euro. I am not sure if I also need to sit and pass some sort of pilot test. The web site that lead me to this conclusion is https://drone-laws.com/drone-laws-in-italy/comment-page-1/#comment-2212

Is my understanding correct, and if so does anyone know if I actually need to sit for the test and where I can get the required insurance?  
3-8 04:46
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi, there.It is recommended that you consult the relevant policies of the corresponding national departments, and our official website also has tips for you to refer to, link:https://www.dji.com/uk/flyingtips
3-8 22:24
Use props
frm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 128 ft
Belgium

Hey mate, the official rules and regulations for flying in EU can be found here: https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/light/topics/drones
3-11 06:34
Use props
frm
lvl.1
Belgium

https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/light/topics/drones
3-11 06:35
Use props
RobSue
lvl.1
Australia

Thanks for the links and info. I will have a look. My main concern is whether insurance is mandatory in Italy and France, the only 2 places I am likely to fly. Getting insurance may be tricky and expensive if it's available.
3-12 05:53
Use props
StepCH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4354 ft
Switzerland

RobSue Posted at 3-12 05:53
Thanks for the links and info. I will have a look. My main concern is whether insurance is mandatory in Italy and France, the only 2 places I am likely to fly. Getting insurance may be tricky and expensive if it's available.

From your profile it looks like you have the Mini 3 Pro (as opposed to the Mavic 3 Pro) so this would make everything easier.
The EASA rules apply to all of the countries listed in your OP with the exception of England. Although I'm originally English I'm not really familiar with the British regulations. The following applies to the EASA compliant countries only:

Insurance is recommended for sub 250g drones, but not compulsory according to EASA rules. However, as far as I'm aware, specific countries may mandate additional requirements. Insurance does appear to be mandatory in Italy. I don't have an overview of the other countries requirements but insurance is not expensive. I was never too convinced about the information on the drone-laws.com site. I once tried to work out the Italian drone rules from the ENAC site myself and found their descriptions totally confusing, so I'd prefer to play it safe in Italy! I came across this link from trip advisor:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Show ... eigners-Norway.html
which lists some possible sources, including one from coverdrone.com that reportedly provides insurance on a monthly basis. I don't know any of these companies because my insurance is included in our house insurance policy by default.
One important point: flying beyond VLOS will invalidate any drone insurance!

You will need to register with one of the National Aviation Authorities and this is then valid in all other compliant states. It's painless and free. You will be allocated a registration ID which needs to be attached to the drone.

No tests are required to fly a Mini 3 Pro in Europe but the A1/A3 training and tests provided by the Aviation Authorities are free, online and easy. I'd recommend at least familiarising yourself with the EASA rules. Some authorities provide English versions. Check out the link provided by "frm" in an earlier post for more specific info: https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/light/topics/drone-operators-pilots
3-12 09:12
Use props
RobSue
lvl.1
Australia

Thanks very much for the detailed info. I've tried a number of options, including coverdrone.com. Their response was "unfortunately, we are unable to insure recreational operators based in Australia at this time".

I don't imaging flying more than a few hours on the whole trip, and never over crowded areas, so my risk is very low. I think I will just register and take the risk.
3-12 16:24
Use props
StepCH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4354 ft
Switzerland

RobSue Posted at 3-12 16:24
Thanks very much for the detailed info. I've tried a number of options, including coverdrone.com. Their response was "unfortunately, we are unable to insure recreational operators based in Australia at this time".

I don't imaging flying more than a few hours on the whole trip, and never over crowded areas, so my risk is very low. I think I will just register and take the risk.

Strange that dronecover can‘t help you! On their site they state:
“Our policy is currently available to pilots in the UK, EU, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.“
That‘s why I thought it would be interesting.
3-13 04:25
Use props
RobSue
lvl.1
Australia

StepCH Posted at 3-13 04:25
Strange that dronecover can‘t help you! On their site they state:
“Our policy is currently available to pilots in the UK, EU, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.“
That‘s why I thought it would be interesting.

I suspect it may be because I am a recreational flyer, not a professional.
3-13 20:04
Use props
frm
lvl.1
Belgium

RobSue Posted at 3-12 05:53
Thanks for the links and info. I will have a look. My main concern is whether insurance is mandatory in Italy and France, the only 2 places I am likely to fly. Getting insurance may be tricky and expensive if it's available.

it is mandatory but you can get an insurance only for the time you'll spend there or the days you plan to fly so it will be much cheaper than a yearly or monthly insurance
3-14 05:48
Use props
RobSue
lvl.1
Australia

If I must have insurance, then I will not be able to take the drone with me because I can't find anyone that will offer insurance.

It's not covered by my home policy, my travel insurance provider wont' insure drones. I tried coverdrone.com and even though their web site says their “policy is currently available to pilots in the UK, EU, Canada, Australia and New Zealand", it seems that's only for professional pilots, not recreational pilots, or at least that's what they said when I chatted with them.

If you know of someone who will provide liability insurance cover for me, I would like to contact them.
3-14 22:44
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules