12mp versus 48mp
485 13 3-8 13:35
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

My previous drone is a Mavic Air 2.  It's  camera  has 12mp and 48mp capability.  The general consensus as I recall  is  that 48mp in the Air 2 is not true 48mp but actually a  computer  enhanced image.  I may be saying this explanation wrong, but I  think  most Air 2 pilots just use 12mp.  I am wondering if the same is  true for  the Mini 4 Pro?  Is the 48mp true resolution or enhanced?
3-8 13:35
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There's no simple answer to your question.
Do some testing to see which resolution you prefer.
3-8 14:34
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its a quad bayer sensor so technically not 48mp.
3-9 01:35
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

DAFlys Posted at 3-9 01:35
Its a quad bayer sensor so technically not 48mp.

This is not true, technically it has a 48MP resolution. To produce color, four pixels are filtered and combined into one color. Thus, a 48 MP black and white image turns into a 12 MP color image. If you combine a 12MP color image with a 48MP black and white image, you get a 48MP color image, but only with limited color at 12MP. But the human eye will not notice the difference in color)
3-9 02:03
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Serg SSA Posted at 3-9 02:03
This is not true, technically it has a 48MP resolution. To produce color, four pixels are filtered and combined into one color. Thus, a 48 MP black and white image turns into a 12 MP color image. If you combine a 12MP color image with a 48MP black and white image, you get a 48MP color image, but only with limited color at 12MP. But the human eye will not notice the difference in color)

True but the superpixels that it uses in 48mp mode are tiny compared to a quality sensor,  and when combined in 12mp mode tend to do better with low light etc.   It really doesnt compare to a 48mp full frame sensor.
3-9 03:16
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

DAFlys Posted at 3-9 03:16
True but the superpixels that it uses in 48mp mode are tiny compared to a quality sensor,  and when combined in 12mp mode tend to do better with low light etc.   It really doesnt compare to a 48mp full frame sensor.

I meant that the sensor resolution is 48MP
The quality of photos and videos depends little on the number of pixels, but mainly on the size of the pixels. It is clear that with a larger matrix the picture will be better. But we are talking about something else - the drone camera has 48 megapixels of brightness pixels and 12 megapixels of color pixels are formed from them.
3-9 04:30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Rustic17. Thank you for reaching out. Let me confirm this with the relevant team. I will get back to this thread with an update. I appreciate your patience.
3-10 06:32
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Simply put, photo has 48mp resolution but not 48mp details and quality.
3-10 11:04
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Tuxtard Posted at 3-10 11:04
Simply put, photo has 48mp resolution but not 48mp details and quality.

So is the 48mp going to be better than the 12mp as far as sharpness and detail even though it’s not 48mp? And what about enlarging..which is better?
3-10 11:35
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Rustic17 Posted at 3-10 11:35
So is the 48mp going to be better than the 12mp as far as sharpness and detail even though it’s not 48mp? And what about enlarging..which is better?
It's a quad bayer sensor which basically means it has 12mp color and 48mp luma resolution. In some cases it will produce more detail than 12mp but less than a real 48mp sensor and in some it will just introduce more noise. Depends of the subject and light condition.
3-10 12:44
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

Serg SSA Posted at 3-9 04:30
I meant that the sensor resolution is 48MP
The quality of photos and videos depends little on the number of pixels, but mainly on the size of the pixels. It is clear that with a larger matrix the picture will be better. But we are talking about something else - the drone camera has 48 megapixels of brightness pixels and 12 megapixels of color pixels are formed from them.

I meant that the sensor resolution is 48mp,admitting it is not a true 48MP sensor.
It is a 12 MP true sensor period.You must be the same individual that is in the other
forum starting the same thing.
3-10 14:47
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

Freetime Posted at 3-10 14:47
I meant that the sensor resolution is 48mp,admitting it is not a true 48MP sensor.
It is a 12 MP true sensor period.You must be the same individual that is in the other
forum starting the same thing.

I don't know what other forum you are talking about. There are probably people who, like me, understand how the sensor works)
I hope everyone understands now too.
3-10 23:40
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Thank you for patiently waiting. The 48 MP means the maximum valid pixels on the 1/2.0’’ CMOS sensor is 48 million, and this is the actual pixel data.
For CMOS under different pixels, the photosensitive area of a single pixel is different. The smaller the pixel area, the poorer the photosensitive performance. The Mavic Air 2 CMOS sensor uses the Quad Bayer filter array, where adjacent pixels come in the same color, making high-sensitivity shooting possible. Even when reaching 48 effective megapixels, high-resolution images can be captured. The pixel array of the new sensor in 48 effective megapixels is shown on the left. The signals from the four adjacent pixels are added, raising the sensitivity to a level equivalent to that of 12 megapixels.
Have a great day ahead.
3-12 03:21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There is only one way to find out and that is to do your own test and see what fits your needs
3-21 10:15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules