How do you carry your Mavic 3?
387 10 3-10 20:49
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
D2816
lvl.1
United States

Hi everyone. New member here. Just bought a Mavic 3 Pro a few weeks ago and am enjoying learning it. I have a big old DJI 6-rotor drone that I haven't used in many years, and never did much with. I am getting back into drone photography with this new one, and it is amazing.
What's an easy way to carry it? I usually use the included cover, but that leaves the rotors pretty exposed, and it basically seems like a glorified lens cap. I am thinking a small camera bag would work well, and I have a few of them already. But should it be packed a certain way? A certain orientation? How delicate are these things to transport? What do I need to be particularly careful of?

Thanks for any suggestions.

3-10 20:49
Use props
LukasYL
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

It can be pack in any orientation.  There are several cases on Amazon either it would be individual or a whole case that have all your accessories with it.
3-11 02:26
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depends on how protected you need to keep the drone.

For a hard case, I'm using the Lykus cases, they're cheap, reliable and use cutout foam. https://www.lykustech.com/cases-for-dji-mavic-drones

For a backpack, I own both Lowepro and Manfrotto. They each have their benefits. I actually still use Lowepro's Inspire 2 carrier, which can carry a full size DSLR, lenses, laptop, two drones, controllers and plenty of batteries with room to spare.
3-11 05:06
Use props
D2816
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the replies.

I think initially I want a very small pack just to carry and protect the drone itself.

My concern is that some of the delicate-looking parts seem to be exposed, and is it OK for them to be supporting the weight of the drone, even in a padded case? For instance, the rotor hubs, and the rotors themselves. Is it OK for them to be supporting the weight of the drone? I would think the rotors could be bent out of shape slightly if they have pressure on them. The camera itself is also exposed. Again, even in a padded case, is it OK for it to be supporting part of the weight of the drone? This is something that could be riding in the trunk of my car, or bouncing around in a backpack.
3-11 10:23
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

D2816 Posted at 3-11 10:23
Thanks for the replies.

I think initially I want a very small pack just to carry and protect the drone itself.

In a backpack the drone will be fine. They're pretty hardy, especially the motors. Just be careful of any excess weight on the arms, but in a rucksack the weight will be distributed if you are careful.

If you're putting the drone in the back of a truck, it's worth being mindful of it sliding about or having something drop on it, so just treat it like any fragile object and give it some support or nestle it in between items.  

In my experience of travelling with drones in backpacks, the only time I've ever had a drone break (leg cracked on a Phantom 4) was when I left my bag with concierge at a hotel and watched them drop it on the floor. If you are careful with your bag, the drone will be fine.
3-11 10:55
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lovingly.  Like a baby, or pet Chihuahua.
3-11 20:35
Use props
D2816
lvl.1
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 3-11 20:35
Lovingly.  Like a baby, or pet Chihuahua.

Hah! Cradled in my arms? On a leash?

But seriously, I guess my main concern was it resting on the rotors, but it seems nobody is very concerned about this.
3-12 19:01
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

D2816 Posted at 3-12 19:01
Hah! Cradled in my arms? On a leash?

But seriously, I guess my main concern was it resting on the rotors, but it seems nobody is very concerned about this.

When you say rotors, do you mean the propellors?

The propellors are strong and will flex, it's the bits on the drone which don't want to flex and are brittle, such as the arms and their joints.

A well padded bag will cradle your drone, even if you dropped it. Some of the drone bags on the market put the drone in the middle, so the edges are kept away from the sides of the bag, but I honestly wouldn't worry. The fact you're concerned and asking about a bag means you'll be trying to take care of it.
3-12 23:46
Use props
DronSap
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12943 ft
Czechia

Suitcase
PGYTECH
I have the same model as shown. (easy access to all batteries, ease way how to make own custom holes and additional space).

But for day to day transport, if extra protection is not needed and you have only 1-2 batteries, no additional accesories, chargers, ND filtes, ... then some kind of shoulder bag or backpack are much better. Suitcase is better for transport in car, storage...  , bag or backpack are more suitable for hiking and walking - but don't try to sit on it .
3-13 00:30
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

D2816 Posted at 3-12 19:01
Hah! Cradled in my arms? On a leash?

But seriously, I guess my main concern was it resting on the rotors, but it seems nobody is very concerned about this.

Not too concerned.  All of my drones are kept in cases when travelling until they are not and being used.  Then they all tend to get jostled.  They last until your crash them or drop them.  : ). Don't overthink it too much.  These things are not as brittle as the iPhone, but not as strong as a flight recorder.  
3-13 10:29
Use props
D2816
lvl.1
United States

Cool. Thanks for the replies. I guess I didn't know if the propellors could get bent out of true if they had pressure on them for a period of time.

And it's props, not rotors? I assumed since it's essentially a helicopter it would be rotors, and props would be for an airplane, but I guess things are different in the drone world.
3-14 21:09
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules