How I shot the carnival with a DJI Osmo Pocket 3 and some notes
856 6 3-11 03:34
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bestravelvideo
lvl.3
Greece

This is just the second time I have shared a video shot with the Pocket 3 and I wish to share my experience about the ease of use and how I shot it.
As you will see, the weather was mostly cloudy, which helps in the way there are not many exposure differences.
There is always the problem of high contrast areas in the background that will inevitably force the iris to close, to darken more.
I shot in HLG, and used a Neewer Variable ND filter. It was the one with settings 6-10 and I preferred the setting at 6, which corresponds to ND 64 (I think).
I also had the EV exposure to -7.
Some might say this could result in a darker exposure.
When I watch the video in the Lumetri Scopes of Adobe Premiere, I see the video level is at 100 % but regardless of that, I “opened” the shadows in post to a setting of +30 in Premiere.
I also reduced the Saturation by 20%.
As for the recording I had the sharpness to -2 and noise reduction to 1.
Finally, I left the ISO to the full range of 50-3200 and White Balance to 5600, but then I changed that in post production.
Now, some notes about how to use the camera.
In the past, I have shot various events in my country and abroad, like the Venice carnival using my big DSLR. With a big camera, you always feel the weight, which is tiring. Also, even if you use a big or medium gimbal, this adds weight.
With the Pocket 3 instead, I used it for over an hour and never felt the weight.
The sound is stereo, using only the 2 of the 3 microphones.
The Pocket 3 was mounted to a simple selfie stick. This means that the Pocket 3 lens is at roughly 3 meters high, above any people's heads.
Here's a tip:
I also own a DJI Ronin gimbal that came with an accessory to mount a mobile phone holder. This mobile holder came with a 1/4" adaptor to mount on a tripod hole. Therefore, since I used a selfie stick with a tripod hole in the bottom, I mounted the mobile holder in the bottom of the selfie stick, so I could use the Mimo App and look at my mobile’s screen, which was now at the bottom, below the selfie stick, so I could frame my shots (without having to look up to the pocket 3) and also see the zebras for highlights burns. That’s why I wish DJI gives us the option to use zebras on the Pocket 3 screen at a future update!
There are no abrupt moves, as the result is stabilized pretty good.
All in all, not only did the Pocket 3 did the job, but it was for me the first time I enjoyed it, shooting with an ease, not feeling the weight of a big camera.
There is only one “drawback” but it has nothing to do with the camera.
There is no zoom (I don’t use the digital zoom) which means you have to move closer to the action.

I hope the above give an idea to other people on how to use the Pocket 3!

3-11 03:34
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very festive event.  Nicely filmed.  
3-12 10:09
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting read and nice video!
3-23 04:21
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Good job!
3-23 12:48
Use props
benisfroms
lvl.2

Germany

Your tip about using the mobile phone holder from the DJI Ronin gimbal to mount your phone on the selfie stick is clever. It’s a great way to keep an eye on your framing and exposure settings without straining to look at the Pocket 3’s screen. I’m sure other users will find this information very useful, especially those looking for lightweight and efficient shooting solutions.
3-24 07:50
Use props
bestravelvideo
lvl.3
Greece

benisfroms Posted at 3-24 07:50
Your tip about using the mobile phone holder from the DJI Ronin gimbal to mount your phone on the selfie stick is clever. It’s a great way to keep an eye on your framing and exposure settings without straining to look at the Pocket 3’s screen. I’m sure other users will find this information very useful, especially those looking for lightweight and efficient shooting solutions.

Even if you don't have the Ronin's mobile holder, there are other inexpensive solutions to implement that.  You just need an adapter that has tripod screws in each end and you could mount on it a very cheap mobile holder. For me this works in two benefits. One, as you say, to monitor your frame and not try to estimate what you shoot looking above and the second, to check via the DJI application your exposure. I know this is a long talk! Some would only say they only need to check the left to right graph for exposure, while I just find faster, more accurate and easier the zebras option! Yes, I have to repeat these are only available via the app! Come on DJI! Give us the option to see zebras highlights on the Pocket 3 screen! This would really turn the small Osmo to a Professional camera! You could use it with a fixed or variable ISO and see any problems with burned highlights so easily!
3-24 08:42
Use props
Mirek 22
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3529747 ft
Italy

Nice video, great to see from a carnival where I haven't been yet.

3-24 09:22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules