Moto G8 (And 11) can't connect to OA4 in Mimo
209 9 3-14 13:51
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OA4 Conn Woes
lvl.1
Denmark

tl;dr My Motorola G8 Power (Android 11) can't connect to my brand new OA4.

These are the steps I've been through:

1. Boot up OA4, and skip nag screen
2. Fiddle with settings, format sd card, set time
3, Shut down OA4

4. Boot up OA4 and scan QR code.
Get redirected to a page full of ads (not at all confusing for a newbie /s)

5. Locate download link for Mimo app halfway down the page, which I apparently need to activate my new OA4
On top of that it breaks several GDPR rules (real consumer friendly practice)

6. Install Mimo 1.11.8
7. Open Mimo 1.11.8, wait 7 seconds on nag screen for product I am not at all interested in
(great premium experience right there /s)

8. Allow Location and access to media files
9. Connect Mimo app to OA4
10. Confirm connection on OA4
Mimo 1.11.8 and OA4 are finally connected.
(FW: 01.01.07.30, CAM FW: 10.00.11.25)

11. Turn off and start OE4 to confirm nag screen is gone. It is.
12. Open Mimo on Moto G8, FW update prompt.
13. Accept FW update, and watch as download goes to 50%
14. Install FW update: Get error message that Mimo can't find OA4

15. Shut down Mimo, set phone to flight mode
16. Shut down OA4, pull battery for 30 seconds

17. Set phone back to normal mode, double check BT and Wifi are enabled. They are
18. Turn on OA4, verify Wifi settings. Everything looks fine (name and pass)

19. Notice 'Osmo device found' in Mimo. be happy (for a moment at least)
20. See OA4 listed under devices, tap connect
21. Watch Mimo searching for device for 2 minutes, before giving up.

22. Do various debug steps, including;
- Connecting via USB-C
- Turning Wifi off. Mimo complains rightly about no wifi
- Verify OA4 is not found when turned off, but shows up in list when turned on
- Test that camera can record as set, and files can be transfered to computer via USB-C connection.

23. Go to official forum for some basic support; can't post a new thread.
24. Notice by chance that you have to jump through a few hoops to be allowed to post
25. Get so frustrated by all this BS, that a long post detailing every step taken is needed

26. Genuinely wonder how DJI gets so much praise.
OA4 seems like an OK product, but the software support side of things is lacking to no end.
... and here comes the fun part: all I wanted to do was adjust my white balance, because that option is nowhere to be found in the FWs mentioned in step 11.

Edit:
27. Find WB thanks to a Odysee video
28. Come back to forum after a day, and notice that no DJI employee has bothered to respond
29. Wonder again if DJI is perhaps paying off Youtubers for praise, and have them conveniantly forget to tell about all the hassles and hoops.

30. Seriously, it's seriously simple to host a firmware download file
Let users download it to a fw folder on the SD Card, and then have the camera update from there (I know because I've done it for other products).

The current setup with a GDPR breaking app is just a ...ty practice.
I'm uninstalling Mimo, and will use the camera as is.
If in the next 2 weeks it isn't up to snuff, local conumser legislation let's me return it free of charge, and you get a return on a used camera from a dealer.

3-14 13:51
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

android11:

clear cache mimo app
clear all data mimo app
airplane modus on
start mimo app again
3-14 22:51
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Yeah try with another phone, but not Samsung or Pixel.
3-15 05:00
Use props
OA4 Conn Woes
lvl.1
Denmark

johansenfoto Posted at 3-15 05:00
Yeah try with another phone, but not Samsung or Pixel.

Nah, my current phone fits me just fine.
It's not EOL.
3-15 06:32
Use props
OA4 Conn Woes
lvl.1
Denmark

lutzmix Posted at 3-14 22:51
android11:

clear cache mimo app

Sorry, somehow missed your post.

Good suggestion.
It allowed me to confirm that the OA4 is visible and can connect

You have so far proved more useful than the DJI staff around here. They just keep ignoring this topic, while replying to others.
3-15 11:26
Use props
OA4 Conn Woes
lvl.1
Denmark

OA4 Conn Woes Posted at 3-15 11:26
Sorry, somehow missed your post.

Good suggestion.

Not that I think DJI cares (they have ignored this topic so far), but for what it's worth, and if someone else stumbles upon this and need a fix.

First try what lutzmix  suggested above.
It's by far the easiest debug steps.

1. Clear the cache of the mimo app
2. Clear all data of the mimo app
3. Enable airplane mode
4. Start the Mimo app again (you'll have to disable airplane mode)
5. You'll come in "clean"

Unfortunately that didn't fix my problem.
My "fix" is just a workaround, which is; find another phone and use that.
I found and old iPhone SE running iOS 12.6.

Apparently big brands like Motorola, Samsung and Pixel are not properly supported, or straight up don't work properly with the DJI Mimo app. Of course that's only half the Android market, and DJI would rather you run out and buy a chinese Android phone.

On my old iPhone I installed the DJI Mimo app from the Apple App Store.

It connected first time, and I was prompted to join the OA4's network.
This did nothing for the firmware update prompt, and you can't check manually.

I had to uninstall the Mimo app, re-install it, and then finally I got a little yellow FW prompt

Now my OA4 has ...
Device fw: 01.03.08.20
Camera fw: 10.99.26.19

--

Forcing paying customers to download an unstable app full of needless ads, and having them jump through hoops just to update a product they bought and paid, is some next level BS. I'm not even sure Tencent or Alphabet do that. That's a big thumbs down DJI.

It gets extra dumb when you realize that DJI has a .bin file download for updating the firmware of the DJI2 mic.
The exact same thing could be done for any of their cameras. They really didn't have to make such a lousy first impression.

But at least the camera is good.
3-15 14:16
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

OA4 Conn Woes Posted at 3-15 14:16
Not that I think DJI cares (they have ignored this topic so far), but for what it's worth, and if someone else stumbles upon this and need a fix.

First try what lutzmix  suggested above.

All iphone phones works with no issues, so it's sad not all Android phones works.

But great you got it up and running, and yes OA4 is a great action camera, I have bought two.
3-15 15:17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. We're deeply sorry for the late response. With regards to your Motorola mobile device, it has been confirmed that your mobile device is currently not compatible. It can be preliminarily determined that the issue is caused by a compatibility error. Since there are many device models awaiting testing, this issue cannot be resolved in the short term. However, we are glad that you have managed to isolate the issue by using an iPhone as it was listed as a recommended device. Hope you understand that we are also attending multiple posts/threads but we are doing our best to respond to all the threads in a timely manner. Should you have other inquiries or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your understanding and support.
3-16 00:57
Use props
OA4 Conn Woes
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-16 00:57
Hi there. We're deeply sorry for the late response. With regards to your Motorola mobile device, it has been confirmed that your mobile device is currently not compatible. It can be preliminarily determined that the issue is caused by a compatibility error. Since there are many device models awaiting testing, this issue cannot be resolved in the short term. However, we are glad that you have managed to isolate the issue by using an iPhone as it was listed as a recommended device. Hope you understand that we are also attending multiple posts/threads but we are doing our best to respond to all the threads in a timely manner. Should you have other inquiries or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your understanding and support.

The "fix" should never be to advice customers to go out and get new hardware. Eevrything should work out of the box.

Two suggestions that will benefit your customers, and by extension DJI long term.

Suggestion 1:
Make device firmware updates available as binary downloads on your support page.

Let people download the updates, pace them in the root of a SD card, and have the devices update that way.

Customers that can't do that, or figure it out,  is encouraged to download an executable, which will determine device type and model, and then download and install the correct firmware for them, provided the device is connected.

Suggestion 2:
Make the onboarding experience simpler.
Right now customers have to struggle with the DJI Mimo app, and a torrent of ads on every page you show.

This is off-putting to no end.

Make it easy for people to get into your eco-system before you start drowning them in ads.

Based on the last 24 hours I can't recommend DJI products to anyone. Not because the products are bad (the OA4 feels solid), but because of all the hassle surrounding them.
3-16 01:49
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

OA4 Conn Woes Posted at 3-16 01:49
The "fix" should never be to advice customers to go out and get new hardware. Eevrything should work out of the box.

Two suggestions that will benefit your customers, and by extension DJI long term.

We appreciate this feedback of yours. Rest assured that we will record these suggestions and forward them to our relevant team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.
3-18 02:51
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules