P3 HDMI module video feed to tablet
1408 12 2015-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pierre.lemarcha
lvl.2
France

Hi everybody,
with the P3 HDMI module, I wonder if it could be possible to send the video feed to a tablet (I have a Galaxy Tab S)?
Through the micro-USB port of the module?
Or using an HDMI to micro-USB converter?

2015-9-12
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

No there is no video in on the tab s or any ios device that im aware of.
2015-9-12
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Pierre & Rocket,

This is the same issue I am researching.  I would like to use the new HDMI module, but it is worthless unless I can get an adapter to convert the signal for the micro-USB port on my Galaxy TAB.  Other IOS and Android devices have a HDMI port that can be used for this need.  

We need to keep on this and get the terminology straight so the forum can understand us.  

As far as I can tell, we need a cable to make the physical change and then insert an adapter somewhere along the chain to make the signal compatible with our HDMI video needs.  My own Galaxy TAB has an acoustic port for HDMI (but circular), so I am hoping that the HDMI software is there, but only an adapter is needed to make the micro USB port process the information.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-12
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2015-9-13 15:56
Aloha Pierre & Rocket,

This is the same issue I am researching.  I would like to use the new H ...

Mate unfortunately it will not work there video "outs" on the ios and androids there are no tablets on the market that im aware of with video "in" put.
2015-9-12
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Rocket,

That is actually good news then since the new HDMI board for the P3 does not require a "dedicated" type of port that it needs to provide input to your tablet.  The Inspire already uses HDMI with tablets.  How do they do it?  Hmm, I should look at the Inspire, "What is in the Box" .pdf and video to see how the Inspire handles this problem.  Mahalo for the help Rocket!

Aloha and Drone On!
BTW, the "Drone On!" comes from the use of both quadcopters and didgeridoos in our house - great instrument!  Nice when you live in the jungle!
2015-9-13
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Rocket,

My HDMI board should be arriving within a week, so I will finally get some first hand experience with these new options.  It looks like the HDMI port is for FPV goggles as opposed to tablets, unless there is something out there we do not know about.  The only hope I have for USB is that the USB 3.0 port is the one DJI uses with the module.  There are a few USB 3.0 tablets out there.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-21
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2015-9-22 15:27
Aloha Rocket,

My HDMI board should be arriving within a week, so I will finally get some first ...

Lol all good m8 yeh works great with goggles or get yourself a 12v monitor
2015-9-21
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Rocket_Aus Posted at 2015-9-22 01:42
Lol all good m8 yeh works great with goggles or get yourself a 12v monitor

The diamond on the OSD for home location why is it inverted relative to the direction when you are heading home, did you notice that ?
2015-9-21
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Australia

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-22 15:56
The diamond on the OSD for home location why is it inverted relative to the direction when you are ...

I just assumed that that meant the bird was pointing towards you yeh?
2015-9-21
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Rocket,

The HDMI installation went smoothly followed by that rain that keeps Hawai'i so green - especially in the jungle zone.  I finally got out to fly today and the new module worked real well without goggles or a 12V tablet.  BTW, I am looking into a new tablet with HDMI input (not output) - any suggestions.  Plus, the sunshade I bought does not fit a 10 inch tablet, so my search had to be for smaller tablets.  There was very little lag time with the new module, but it was only my first time.  Another benefit was the installation of an earlier firmware that allowed me to access the new five IOC options.  Unfortunately, they only worked once and then shut down with only CourseLock available in the IOC and no way I could find to to access HomeLock.  I am trying to replicate the firmware situation so this Android device can predictably use full IOC options until the fix comes out.  The biggest problem is that it is so much fun to just fly this thing that it gets hard to solve problems!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-28
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2015-9-29 16:16
Aloha Rocket,

The HDMI installation went smoothly followed by that rain that keeps Hawai'i so  ...

G'day Cetaman,

Glad to hear your install went well and looking forward to see some of your vids from the lush Hawaii.
If your after a inexpensive monitor you will need something that can handle 720p thats the res the hdmi module outputs at.There are so many options for you to chose from my mate bought one of these feelworld ones of fleabay.He has it on a tripod and it records via and sd card also has its own sunshade...anywho he's pretty happy with them might be worth a look http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.htm ... lworld&_sacat=0 Have you updated your bird and r/c to the latest firmware? As the latest 1.400 has the multiple flight modes. Cheers
2015-9-29
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Rocket,

Would you believe that I was able to download and install the new Android version of DJI Go at 10:45 PM on September 28 while the release date specifies September 29 because they are still on the other side of the Pacific in China and Hawai'i is in the middle of the Pacific.  How often does that happen!  The night flying was cool.  (I need to do that some more.)  The app worked great the first time around but I was not able to get it to load after that.  And then the rain came drizzling again.  So today, I tried it again and went through one battery doing waypoints and learning lessons (there is a HomeLock/CourseLock effect I need to tame) - but it worked like the night before and I did not try a second battery because of more rain.  Rain is sometimes bad enough, but when you want to fly - it is a nemesis!

I am at the early stages of observing the performance of my new HDMI module, but there have been no noticeable lag issues.  That is weird because lag issues were at the forefront of operating my P3.  Right now they have not been noticed - and that is good!  I have some feelers out regarding HDMI display purchase opportunities, but I think I will try to see if my laptop, with its HDMI port, will accept the signal from the P3 remote controller HDMI module.  Still trying to figure that out.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-29
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Rocket,

Wow, the HDMI module is really working well.  I am going to look at some of the other threads mentioning video lag to see if this performance is consistent.  Today I was able to practice the IOC Waypoints option and just watch the screen during the playback missions and look for lag issues.  There would be maybe one jump every five to ten seconds instead of a jump every second or two.  Even behind trees, the video was much stronger.  I am going to hold off on any more upgrades until I have a grip on this.

The Waypoints lesson was interesting though.  It turns out that, like CourseLock, movement of the P3 in the flat plane is all right stick (Mode 2) ignoring yaw.  If you want to FPV and see where you are going, you have to use the yaw to adjust the camera, but you will remain in a CourseLock-like control situation.  It takes some getting used to.  The altitude changes will be making for some interesting videos.  The jungle and the mountains do make for some challenge, like my spotter going, "Ahhh, are you trying to fly into that ridge there!"  I do have to get that CourseLock technique down a lot better, just to keep from ridge-running when I really do not want to if you catch my drift.  If you think about it though, using a CourseLock-like control mechanism allows the controller to better record and manage the flight path and turns so that the final mission file is way more simplified computer-wise.  I remember reading about a new GroundStation like app that allowed you to enter what types of turns you wanted to do and so you had to write to each turn and that was a lot of writing.  With the CourseLock technique, once you get a handle on it, you just fly the turn you want with the right stick and then control the camera and altitude with the left stick and the camera pitch with the pitch roller.  Two different ways of doing waypoints, but the DJI CourseLock technique is better in a "Seat-of-the-Pants" way as opposed to a typing way.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules