It seems that D-log M is worse dynamic range that Normal mode
827 19 3-19 04:33
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jaesang Yoon
lvl.2

South Korea

It seems that in some cases, D-log M mode has a worse dynamic range than the Normal mode.
Anyone knows why?

3-19 04:33
Use props
KlimaPic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 360115 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Do you have an example video you may show us?
3-19 04:34
Use props
Steven_Yoon
lvl.2

South Korea

KlimaPic Posted at 3-19 04:34
Do you have an example video you may show us?

Sure! I added the video. Look at the highlight of the window
3-19 08:25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Let me forward this video to our related team to check. I will be back with an update. We appreciate your patience.
3-20 02:50
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there! Thank you for waiting patiently. After checking with the relevant team, it has been determined that the color performance is within the normal range and there is no significant difference. However, we appreciate your feedback and we will make sure to submit it to the designated team for further handling. We will do our best to improve the color performance in the future. Thank you for your patience!
3-23 01:12
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Deleted...
3-23 10:16
Use props
RayNY
lvl.3
United States

I think normal has built in HDR features similiar to an iphone.
3-24 04:57
Use props
Steven_Yoon
lvl.2

South Korea

DJI Tony Posted at 3-23 01:12
Hi there! Thank you for waiting patiently. After checking with the relevant team, it has been determined that the color performance is within the normal range and there is no significant difference. However, we appreciate your feedback and we will make sure to submit it to the designated team for further handling. We will do our best to improve the color performance in the future. Thank you for your patience!

Thanks for your careful test. I have several similar cases like this which d log blows more highlight than normal mode. I think it is pretty different in some situations (which is not scientific, but you can see in the video above). Plus, many youtuber says that Pocket 3's normal mode works like hdr mode in contrast to log mode. I want to hear more information from you.
3-26 09:25
Use props
Steven_Yoon
lvl.2

South Korea

RayNY Posted at 3-24 04:57

I agree! Many youtuber address this.
3-26 09:26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Have you done any post processing to the colors on either shot?
3-26 23:26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Steven_Yoon Posted at 3-26 09:25
Thanks for your careful test. I have several similar cases like this which d log blows more highlight than normal mode. I think it is pretty different in some situations (which is not scientific, but you can see in the video above). Plus, many youtuber says that Pocket 3's normal mode works like hdr mode in contrast to log mode. I want to hear more information from you.

Hi there. The dynamic range is impacted by various factors. In the case of Osmo Pocket 3, the maximum attainable dynamic range is 12.7 stops. Due to differences in shooting settings and scenes, the actual dynamic range of footage may vary, making it impossible to provide specific dynamic ranges for Normal, D-Log M, and HLG modes. Have a nice day.
3-27 01:48
Use props
Dave_bass5
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Not sure if this is relevant, but one thing to note is that when you shoot log you don’t use the lowest ISO to get the best DR.  Log is designed to get the best dynamic range from a certain ISO upwards.
3-28 15:40
Use props
RayNY
lvl.3
United States

Dave_bass5 Posted at 3-28 15:40
Not sure if this is relevant, but one thing to note is that when you shoot log you don’t use the lowest ISO to get the best DR.  Log is designed to get the best dynamic range from a certain ISO upwards.

So what is that iso for the P3?
3-28 16:27
Use props
geo.
lvl.4

United States

RayNY Posted at 3-24 04:57

In my experience so far, Normal really does a great job of optimizing.

HLG is quite nice since in most editors a color transform can be performed within the NLE to an intermediate wide working color format which opens up a much larger color space for grading with an eventual second transform to Rec 709.

Until D-Log M specs are eventually revealed color transform is not possible in editors. The current LUT from D-Log M to 709 reduces the color space and any grading after that is constrained.

Hopefully we'll see a D-Log M space spec so color transform can be developed with in editors like Di Vinci and FCP can give us access to the benefits of 10 bit color for D-Log M.

Best
3-30 15:00
Use props
RayNY
lvl.3
United States

geo. Posted at 3-30 15:00
In my experience so far, Normal really does a great job of optimizing.

HLG is quite nice since in most editors a color transform can be performed within the NLE to an intermediate wide working color format which opens up a much larger color space for grading with an eventual second transform to Rec 709.

I use D-log M and transform it myself in Resolve.  Don't use the DJI Lut - it's not very good.  Crushes all your blacks.
3-31 11:55
Use props
geo.
lvl.4

United States

RayNY Posted at 3-31 11:55
I use D-log M and transform it myself in Resolve.  Don't use the DJI Lut - it's not very good.  Crushes all your blacks.

I agree about the LUT. I've been suing HLG with transforms on both ends so a grade can go any where once done but that's just a preference. If you do a custom grade on D-Log M, it can look great.
3-31 15:21
Use props
SimonMW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361263 ft

United Kingdom

The current LUT from D-Log M to 709 reduces the color space and any grading after that is constrained.

Use the LUT at the end of your node tree, not at the beginning.
4-5 23:24
Use props
Steven_Yoon
lvl.2

South Korea

SimonMW Posted at 4-5 23:24
Use the LUT at the end of your node tree, not at the beginning.

I brought the footage to FCP and applied DJI LUT directly. Other than that, nothing else has changed.
4-19 20:24
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 290689 ft
  • >>>
Germany

With the DJI Pocket 3, a comparison was made between the "Normal" and "D-Log" colour settings.
In my opinion, the "Normal" colour offers a better dynamic range.

4-23 12:20
Use props
Steven_Yoon
lvl.2

South Korea

I enjoyed your video. I seems much more flat and less contrast in log mode, as usual. I'm curious whether log mode has more blown out area than normal mode.
4-23 23:49
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules