Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

mrmanfl Posted at 2015-12-2 17:06
I am happy to report that the DJI update to version 2.4.2 resolved my problem. However, I too feel ...

Aloha mrmanfl and Pope,

If your line of reasoning is correct, then why do computer companies that manufacture RAM to processors to video cards, etc all list compatible devices.  I been building computers for over twenty years and compatibility has always been an issue.  Sure you have the choice of being compliant or not, but if you choose to be non-compliant, it limits the demands you can put on the manufacturer and it has been this way since I started.  Now you may disagree and think I am nuts, but let me prove just how nuts I am!

I flew today and it was overcast and slightly windy but it was just so nice to get out again and fly.  I even had a nice 15.5 inch HDMI display to check out but I was in heaven!  Then I remembered some of the things I would look up the next time i flew and one thing was the numbers for the new installation.  Well, while you guys brag about being on DJI Go 2.4.2, it turns out that I am still on 2.4.1, 1.5.037 and 1.5.030.  I have to start all over again!!!!!!!  But it flies so nice and says I am current!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alosob ansob Drosob Osob!
2015-12-2
Use props
mrmanfl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 226293 ft
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-12-3 00:12
Aloha mrmanfl and Pope,

If your line of reasoning is correct, then why do computer companies ...

Companies that manufacture the components of a computer have one goal. That goal is to meet the requirements of the next entity up the hardware supply chain which in turn has to satisfy the specifications of the operating system that the system is being designed to support.  Manufacturers may engineer different designs for hardware, firmware, etc., but in the final analysis, the goal is to meet the minimum specifications that will ultimately support a particular operating system or systems. When I build PC’s, I am confident, based upon the best information that I can acquire, that while the mainboards and related peripherals have to be matched for compatibility, the end product will meet the standards set by the operating system I intend to use.   

DJI prominently displays logos of the App Store and Google Play on its website and more specifically on the Go APP page (http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-adv/app#sub-feature).  However, when one digs deeper, it is discovered that DJI advises that it is compatible only with the following handful of devices:  Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD and Smartisan T1. It is easy to get the impression that DJI is satisfied with identifying the above devices as compatible with the Go App as opposed to considering the bigger picture; a picture wherein the Go app is compatible any Android device (or at least most devices) that are compatible with a given version of the operating system.

I recognize that no one or company is perfect and that this is an evolving technology. I would just like to see DJI be a bit more comprehensive and thoughtful in 1.) developing and testing their applications, 2.) ensuring compatibility with the applicable operating systems, 3.)  establishing consistency in how updates are to be executed and 4.) taking the time to develop and update as necessary, comprehensive instructions/guides.

If application development is a bit too difficult at this time, I would encourage a DJI representative to establish a Thread on the forum where users could post there success or lack of success in using whatever mobile device they are using. This would be a great way to supplement the compatible device list provided by DJI without liability on the part of DJI since the data would be customer driven. This would also assist DJI in evaluating the compatibility of their application with a given version of the operating system while simultaneously serving as a resource for those who need to acquire a mobile device.

Finally, although we may disagree on this issue, I am grateful to you and many others Phantom pilots such as The DJI-Pope who have taken the time to share their expertise and experiences with the rest of us. I have learned a great deal from this and other forums and appreciate what everyone has contributed to this hobby!

P. S. (Sorry for being so long winded)
2015-12-3
Use props
DJI_Pope
lvl.1

United States

mrmanfl Posted at 2015-12-3 18:41
Companies that manufacture the components of a computer have one goal. That goal is to meet the re ...

MrmanFL... thank you for the complement.. I think you and I are from the same "church" and the same "pew" on this matter.  I'm glad you brought up that aspect about the advice from DJI that involves only a handful of devices.  There are some discrepancies on their "compatibility" ... I think DJI has selected the cream of the crop to be compatible with and not try to match the statement that Play Store makes that my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 IS compatible with the Go app.

I am not a software developer but.. as I originally said... simply that the program was working prior and stopped working due to the 2.4.1 update.  It was up to DJI to fix that tom make us satisfied customers.  "The proof is in the pudding" the new update to 2.4.2 put us back into operation.  Minus almost one month of being without flying.  I do plan on taking that up with DJI formally.

In any event... Cetaman... thank you for  your help and the three of us have had a very civilized conversation and learned from each other... BUT got to tell you Cetman... I do not agree with the point of view about their being different file sizes, one for the smaller version one for the larger version of the same app.   So where are you at now?  You are not up to the 2.4.2 version?
2015-12-3
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

mrmanfl Posted at 2015-12-3 13:41
Companies that manufacture the components of a computer have one goal. That goal is to meet the re ...

Aloha mrmanfl and Pope,

No worries mrmanfl, you are talking to Mr. Long-Winded himself!  Personally, I like the challenge of getting my non-conforming Android operating in a non-compliant environment.  It is fun to me and many others.  Maybe I am just lucky to have an easy non-compliant model.  Once I have started installing updates, they have resisted and yet with manageable handling and end runs, learned from years of working on computers, the final product is functional.  This latest install appears to be complete for me with no problems (2.4.2 again), but then that is what I said three days ago.  

When I baboozed the other night, it was clearly my mistake.  And it was very weird to previously see my installed numbers change a few times - that was interesting.  But last night I used some of the tricks - like putting the P3 in the closet (in the trunk of my car) when the P3 is beep-screaming - from reading this forum to get my P3 up and running.  All the problems I had previously are gone.  I appear to be in the real world of DJI now.  This is great!

mrmanfl when you describe computers and operating systems in the opening of your comments, you are describing Android devices of all types, kind of like Windows and PCs.  Now take that end product with very different hardware and try to make it fly in another environment.  There are hardware differences that determine compatibility.  Software allows a manufacturer to work around those compatibility issues.  

Apple on the other hand is a very closed proprietary business model and they will not open for anybody.  This provides more reliability to their product even if it is slow.  The limits to compatibility are very much - primarily the operating system and that is a major part of their business model.  You buy their product and their operating system.  This way they can hold you by the economic short hairs and like most PC fans - I chafe at that bit.

As I said previously, DJI is growing at an amazing rate and these growing pains are to be expected.  Cost effectiveness should determine how much effort they put into bringing more non-compatible devices on line.  When they warn you that there may be compatibility issues - and they do (even if it is in the"fine" print) - you are supposed to listen, not say that they should not be saying that.  

I want to fly.  If my Android was much more difficult, I would have no problem with buying one that was already compatible.  My only problem with this is that all the approved Android devices are no larger than an 8 inch screen and I want a 9 to 11 inch screen.  My 10.1 inch screen just barely fits the holder.  I consider myself lucky as opposed to DJI is not doing their job as a manufacturer.

Your four points are exactly what DJI is doing already; they are just not doing it to your satisfaction.  People like the three of us who communicate about the issues on the forum are a very large component to addressing any shortcomings that their approach to your four points creates in our diverse perceptions.  We are the forum.  

Without fliers like us on the forum, the myriad complexities of hardware and software conflicts would never reach other fliers.  We are doing what you want DJI to do and that is by DJI's design.  Your suggestions are not falling on DJI's deaf ears.  Their ears are wide open and probably ultrasonic.  Your suggestions will actively be taken under consideration and implemented if they agree and can figure out a cost effective way to make it work.  

Pope, I am sorry you feel that what basically amounts to your problem is DJI's problem.  We disagree on that point.  I put out the file size scenario as a "what if".  It matched the evidence as much or more than your scenario did and that was my point.  Both points may be wrong.  I have no problem with that.  What matters is we are in the air again because we did the right things to get there.  We need to work with DJI to see that our hardships from this last update are reduced, maybe streamlined.  (But not gone, because you would be taking away some of the challenges I like so much.)  The best way to work on all this is in this forum.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-12-3
Use props
Quax
lvl.1

Germany

mrmanfl Posted at 2015-12-3 04:06
I am happy to report that the DJI update to version 2.4.2 resolved my problem. However, I too feel ...

Confirmed, 2.4.2  working well for me too!
Airborne!
Thanks for your support, folks!
2015-12-7
Use props
mrmanfl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 226293 ft
United States

Quax Posted at 2015-12-7 17:33
Confirmed, 2.4.2  working well for me too!
Airborne!
Thanks for your support, folks!

Congrats to you. I am glad that things worked out!

I may have a new challenge in that just purchased a tablet for exclusive use (as it stands) with the P3A. I looked at all I could find on what seems to work with the system and on another forum I saw a couple of posts indicating that the Lenovo Tab2 A8 was working well. I caught a good price and will be trying to loads the software after getting the device all charged up. A flight (or at least an attempt) will occur as soon as weather permits.  Hoping for good luck.
2015-12-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

If the device is not listed as one of the approved devices on the website then there's a chance it may work, or it may party work. Or if you update then it may not work anymore. Best solution is to use an approved device. Some of the devices people are using do not have the processing power to run the DJI GO app.
2015-12-9
Use props
info
lvl.1

France

DJI_Pope Posted at 2015-11-25 07:07
So did this thread just die?  No solutions?  I'm using a Samsun Galaxy Tab 2 and ever since the GO u ...

Sorry about that.
I'm sorry to say that I do not quite know what I did to make it all work, but I have had no problems anymore for the last several months. I do know that you have to make your tablet as "streamlined" as possible. No wifi, airplane mode, delete or shut down every app that you do not need (especially google play/store!), do not record video on your tablet (only on your sd-card), etc.. etc..etc..

(I recently updated the firmware to v1.6.0040, no app-updates, and am now experiencing some problems again with no-signal and other strange things. However, I'm not sure if this is related to the updates, as I did some successful flights as well).
2016-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules