Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Background

- My friends and I do a lot of driving in the desert on weekends. Altitude changes go as high as 1km (up/down)
- We travel at speeds between 30-40 km/h, with rapid directional changes as we navigate the dunes. Similar to downhill skiing but with a far larger variation
- The DJI Go app doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the style of driving - my P3P freezes after a few minutes and just sits up there.
- I have a mobile phone holder on my windshield where my iPhone 6 Plus is mounted, and it's connected to the RC on my passenger seat. Signal strength is strong throughout.

Question

- How do I get my P3P follow me from the front (between 10 oclock and 2 oclock position, either is fine), left, or right using the DJI Go app?
- What speeds can the app/aircraft combo cope with? According to my passenger, GPS signal strength, HD link was strong throughout. My iPhone 6 Plus also had a strong GPS signal
- Will the P3P adjust altitude in line with my altitude changes?

I can't find any information on this forum or on Google, and I'm hoping someone from DJI has information that I can use.

2015-9-12
Use props
hcadams
lvl.1
Flight distance : 248638 ft
United States

If you are IOS the solution is -http://autoflightlogic.com/autopilotphantom  
2015-9-16
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

hcadams Posted at 2015-9-17 02:37
If you are IOS the solution is -http://autoflightlogic.com/autopilotphantom

Thanks! I downloaded it last weekend and gave it a shot. I've been in contact with the developers and they have been nothing but helpful
2015-9-16
Use props
TooL
lvl.1

United States

ghoonk Posted at 2015-9-16 23:58
Thanks! I downloaded it last weekend and gave it a shot. I've been in contact with the developers  ...

I also was interested in the speeds that "follow" can handle.
2015-9-19
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

TooL Posted at 2015-9-19 23:17

With Autopilot, Autoflight Logic has confirmed it will handle speeds up to 60 km/h

not sure about DJI Go, but I've not enjoyed much consistency with DJI Go so far. And the unresolved issues with iOS 9 make it a no-go for me to use until it's sorted. I'm not even planning to use Autopilot on iOS 9 unless the developers confirm that their app is fine with iOS 9
2015-9-22
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

TooL Posted at 2015-9-19 23:17

With Autopilot, Autoflight Logic has confirmed it will handle speeds up to 60 km/h

not sure about DJI Go, but I've not enjoyed much consistency with DJI Go so far. And the unresolved issues with iOS 9 make it a no-go for me to use until it's sorted. I'm not even planning to use Autopilot on iOS 9 unless the developers confirm that their app is fine with iOS 9
2015-9-22
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Update: I was able to get the Phantom 3 Pro to keep up at speeds of around 50 km/h today. That's good news.

Two things would make this follow me perfect -

1. focus
2. adaptive altitude
2015-10-2
Use props
TooL
lvl.1

United States

ghoonk Posted at 2015-10-2 11:49
Update: I was able to get the Phantom 3 Pro to keep up at speeds of around 50 km/h today. That's goo ...

Thanks foe the info.  Look forward to trying behind my boat.
2015-10-27
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

You can manually increase your altitude when you are flying in Follow Me.
2015-10-27
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

GQ. Posted at 2015-10-27 16:46
You can manually increase your altitude when you are flying in Follow Me.

Didn't happen in my case. Was doing a Follow Me in a mate's Toyota FJ Cruiser up a dune that was around 500m tall. We stopped at the top, and despite my stick input to gain altitude, I clearly saw the aircraft maintain a perfectly level flight....right into the dune :\

Fortunately, there was no damage, just a lot of sand in the gimbal and motors, which were cleaned by my local DJI dealer (for a fee).
2015-10-28
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

ghoonk Posted at 2015-10-28 04:31
Didn't happen in my case. Was doing a Follow Me in a mate's Toyota FJ Cruiser up a dune that was a ...

It is like the Back Home Safe....you must plan the altitude you will use the follow me all the way to the trajectory. This is normal.
2015-10-28
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

GQ. Posted at 2015-10-28 17:53
It is like the Back Home Safe....you must plan the altitude you will use the follow me all the way ...

I'm sorry - I didn't quite understand what you meant.

In Follow Me, the altitude is determined at the point of engaging Follow Me. I have checked my flight logs and the H value (height, I'd assume) is consistently the same, and this is not relative to the RC.

My flight ceiling is currently set to 500m, usually because the high dunes around here are that high.

So, I have no idea what you mean by "plan the altitude [I] will use the follow me all the way". Are you referring to Failsafe and RTH? If you are referring to Smart Go Home, then yes, mine was switched on when it was in Follow Me mode. Also, since the connection was not lost, why would it trigger an RTH?
2015-11-1
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

ghoonk Posted at 2015-11-1 05:58
I'm sorry - I didn't quite understand what you meant.

In Follow Me, the altitude is determined a ...

English is not my first language so I try to do my best to explain.
I mean if you plan to use ''follow me '' feature , you must evaluate what will be your trajectory before you start. Otherwise anything can happen on the road.Altitude is related to the landing spot when you activate the ''Follow Me''.
So on your trajectory there is a 100 feet elevation you must raise the starting elevation at the starting point. Otherwise yes you crash on it.
2015-11-1
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

GQ. Posted at 2015-11-1 19:33
English is not my first language so I try to do my best to explain.
I mean if you plan to use ''fol ...

Ah, I understand now. Yes, that is correct. My mistake was not deploying it high enough to begin with.

my earlier response was to the someone's suggestion that I could have changed the altitude using the sticks in follow me

Autologic Autopilot app has a better Follow Me as it has adaptive height control and adjusts height relative to the RC
2015-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules