470 11 3-22 22:40
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Micro SC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2099377 ft

United States

Hi all,
I'm well aware that DJI released some firmware updates so that the battery charging hub for the Mini 2 will discharge the batteries if they're left connected inside so you no longer have to keep them freeform (on the shelf or in your bag) in order for them to discharge.

I, myself, have found some truth to this, I feel like the batteries will discharge, but will do slow at a much slower rate than if they were not in the case at all.  They'll probably decrease only 5% after 48 hours in the case.  So, a lot slower.  That's why I still feel like it's a good habit to keep them by outside the case because leaving them in the case seems to not work all the time and I've heard from many others that their batteries may not even discharge at all when left in the charging hub. Pretty spotty if you ask me

In search of a sloution to this, I looked across the web for potential workarounds that can still allow me to easily store the batteries in an organized fashion while letting still them safely discharge, and found a few janky solutions like like putting rubber bands in between the metal leads in the charging hub, to "isolate" the batteries, but that just was too inconvenient for me.

I made a bit more progress over on Etsy, where there were some plastic 3D printed isolators, that were one step up from the rubber bands.  Then I realized, if I can just find a 3D model of the entire original case in the form of a .STL file, I can just 3D print it myself!(I have a 3D printer local)

I found some designs that were pretty awesome on databases like Cults 3D and Thingiverse, and the one I went was from Cults 3D and was free of charge by the creator as well!  It turned out to be a great print, with perfect scale and shape. It also has a clip on the back side, so I can attatch it by my side (like a measuring tape) and can very easily hot-swap the batteries, which comes very handy, and is extremely convenient.

All in all, I think making or buying a 3D printed version of the original charging hub is the best way to safely store your charged DJI batteries, while also keeping them organized that no one's talking about.  I hope this post helpful for you in search of a solution like me. (If this was helpful, I'd love to know how it went for you!) Enjoy!!

Here's the link to the download page for the STL file I used(you'll have to sign in to download it): https://cults3d.com/:554874

Or just download it from my google drive: Mini 2 Charging Hub STL file - google drive

If this interests you but you don't have access to a 3D printer locally, here's another very nice product available for purchase for $11 on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com - Triple battery case for DJI Mini 2 / Mini SE

BELOW ARE PICTURES OF THE COMPLETED PRINT WITH THE BATTERIES INSIDE FOR REFERENCE, ALSO COMPARED TO THE ORIGINAL CHARGING HUB
IMG_1012.jpg
IMG_1013.jpg
IMG_1014.jpg
IMG_1015.jpg
IMG_1016.jpg
IMG_1017.jpg
IMG_1018.jpg
IMG_1019.jpg
IMG_1020.jpg
IMG_1021.jpg
3-22 22:40
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

You just have to love 3D printers.  So many great uses for them.
3-23 10:09
Use props
Micro SC
lvl.2

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-23 10:09
You just have to love 3D printers.  So many great uses for them.

Yes, of course. 3D printers are such great pieces of modern technology, it feels like you can make anything you can think of!
3-23 10:25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Micro SC Posted at 3-23 10:25
Yes, of course. 3D printers are such great pieces of modern technology, it feels like you can make anything you can think of!

In most cases you can.  
3-23 10:27
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23370489 ft
United States

Nice design.

I think you might need to clean your nozzle and/or adjust your nozzle temp though.
3-23 18:26
Use props
HerbA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1209682 ft
United States

Very cool, and nice tight form factor.
3-24 04:16
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

I have 7 batteries and I keep 4 outside the charger and 3 in the charger.  I have been doing this for a year and haven't noticed any issues.  The batteries in the charger act no different than the ones outside of the charger.  I think all of this is a bunch of extra work for nothing.  
3-24 05:37
Use props
Micro SC
lvl.2

United States

Shawgod Posted at 3-24 05:37
I have 7 batteries and I keep 4 outside the charger and 3 in the charger.  I have been doing this for a year and haven't noticed any issues.  The batteries in the charger act no different than the ones outside of the charger.  I think all of this is a bunch of extra work for nothing.

Yes, your batteries shouldn't show any issues regardless of whether they are in or outside of the charger.  But I made this print because I wanted to maximize the longevity of my batteries.  So, to your point, if you leave them in the charger, you may not notice any issues with them, and you may never experience any issues with them, but their health will quietly decrease, because they'll be discharging at a slower rate than they were programmed to do, resulting in less flight time after a few years and needing to replace them sooner.
Also, this project wasn't really any extra work for me; I didn't even have to design the case, I found one on the internet, and had it printed locally free of charge, all being done within 2 days so I think it was a pretty fun little project
3-24 13:21
Use props
Micro SC
lvl.2

United States

blue_canyon21 Posted at 3-23 18:26
Nice design.

I think you might need to clean your nozzle and/or adjust your nozzle temp though.
Thanks. I didn't personally print this out though, so I won’t be able to make these adjustments to the printer myself, but instead I had sent the file to my school's library and they did it for me, however I will still be sure to suggest to them what you said since I'll probably be doing more prints like this in the future
3-24 13:26
Use props
Micro SC
lvl.2

United States

By the way, here are the links to the products and files I referenced.  There was a problem with the link attachment in the original post, so I've included them here.

Etsy Product Link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1485660777/triple-battery-case-for-dji-mini-2-mini
Direct link to download free .stl file I used for this print: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HQ0bpsu4cryRZZQMb7jHH07NlnSurlmP/view?usp=sharing

3-24 22:24
Use props
FlyNow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1551033 ft
Canada

Very handy! The benefits of having a 3D printer
3-25 16:21
Use props
Micro SC
lvl.2