softer mounting required on unhoused camera in naked 03
131 0 3-23 08:01
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TT4400GG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 76250 ft
United States

I have a naked 03 - where the camera has no housing.But - I ran into problems soft mounting it ...  
Soft Mounting - The soft mounting is needed as that camera has a gyro in it - and it stores gyro data for post processing later with gyroflow to stabilize the video.  However - if the camera is getting shakes - you'll never be able to stabilize the video later with gyroflow.  With normal 03 cameras (which of course are in housings) you only need to use TPU to prevent vibrations from getting into the 03 camera's gyro.  However, the naked 03's unhoused camera is too light for TPU to stop the vibrations.  Same with using soft balsa.  Even if the soft balsa is coated with moongel.
Moongel - it's a soft solid somewhat sticky gel for absorbing unwanted vibrations.  Musicians use it sometimes on their instruments.  And that's what I use to use 11 years ago, when we were first learning how to stabilize camera vids on the first drones.  
So now I find myself, once again, placing a camera in a bed of moongel - this time a naked 03 camera - and that stops the vibrations from getting through to the naked 03 camera's gyro.  And I can now use gyroflow to stabilize the videos.
Wow - but I've never heard about this before.  But it makes sense.  The lighter the camera, the softer the soft mount needs to be.
So - if you are looking to get the naked 03 - understand that you will need a softer mount than what works for the normal, heavier, 03 camera.  
For me - if I ever get another naked 03 - I won't get one with an unhoused camera.

3-23 08:01
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules