Drone did not descend and stopped recording
437 20 3-24 07:49
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GiannisS
lvl.1
Greece

Hello guys I experienced two different situations that I can't really explain and I was wondering if someone could help me understand what happened.

1) I was recording and moving forward but I couldn't descend the drone. When I stopped it, I was able to do so. The signal had 3 bars and the weather conditions were shiny and clear. I am not sure if it was a bag or a feature that OA has. (I was flying above the sea)

2) After automatic RTH the recording stopped. Usually, when I do RTH the recording continues. I am not sure if it had to do with the fact that I had a low battery percentage and the drone initiated and an automatic RTH.

Thanks
3-24 07:49
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Upload your flight log to the resource
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/
then it will be possible to say something definite about your situation. Otherwise we will have to involve a fortune teller and a shaman)
3-24 08:54
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

This certainly is very strange. I have been flying Mini 4 Pro for 6 months and I've flown 1697km in total, and that has never happened to me, so I can assure you that it is not meant to happen. I will give you a little tip: when you suspect something might be a little wrong, don't try any manual controls. What you need to do is trigger an automatic RTH or an automatic landing. Don't try and land yourself.
3-24 09:18
Use props
GiannisS
lvl.1
Greece

USER001 Posted at 3-24 09:18
This certainly is very strange. I have been flying Mini 4 Pro for 6 months and I've flown 1697km in total, and that has never happened to me, so I can assure you that it is not meant to happen. I will give you a little tip: when you suspect something might be a little wrong, don't try any manual controls. What you need to do is trigger an automatic RTH or an automatic landing. Don't try and land yourself.
Thank you for the answer. Is it something that I have to worry about ? I haven’t exceeded the 14 days return period so maybe I can ask for a replacement
3-24 09:39
Use props
GiannisS
lvl.1
Greece

Serg SSA Posted at 3-24 08:54
then it will be possible to say something definite about your situation. Otherwise we will have to involve a fortune teller and a shaman)

Thank you for your answer. I’ll try to do that and I’ll update you .
3-24 09:41
Use props
GiannisS
lvl.1
Greece

Serg SSA Posted at 3-24 08:54

Hello, guys so please find attached the two different flight logs.
1st issue regarding descending started happening approximately at 10:44,7-10:49,3 according to the flight log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
2nd issue regarding the stopped recording happened after 18:56.8
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
Thank you a lot for your help and looking forward to your updates.
3-24 12:28
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

GiannisS Posted at 3-24 12:28
1st issue regarding descending started happening approximately at 11:10 according to the flight log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

You must provide a link to your flight so we can see the information.
3-24 12:49
Use props
GiannisS
lvl.1
Greece

Serg SSA Posted at 3-24 12:49
You must provide a link to your flight so we can see the information.

Sorry for that i did but for some reason it was reverted to the main website anyways:

1st  : https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/7PETPIYCN0KGN8J39X7U/
2nd : https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/9V8CUCIITV3NT229ERR1/
3-24 13:03
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

1st issue regarding descending started happening approximately at 10:44,7-10:49,3 according to the flight log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Re the 1st issue where the Mini 4 stops descending even though throttle is at -100%.

In addition to this happening at time 644 secs that you reported it also happens at time 630 secs. In both instances full pitch forward is commanded while full negative throttle is in effect. A quad copter can't produce horizontal thrust without producing some vertical thrust. That's the reason why the vertical descent is arrested.

Note that zSpeed is the downward velocity. The Mini 4 is descending at +3.0 m/s but then the descent rate goes to 0.0 m/s

2024-03-24_21-42-24.jpg
3-24 20:50
Use props
GiannisS
lvl.1
Greece

Hello and thank you for your response. I understand what you are saying and makes a lot of sense,  but Is it something that you have experienced before?  I am sure that I might have done it again but the drone didn't have the same behaviour. Is that normal or should I ask for a replacement?
3-24 21:07
Use props
GiannisS
lvl.1
Greece

BudWalker Posted at 3-24 20:50
Re the 1st issue where the Mini 4 stops descending even though throttle is at -100%.

In addition to this happening at time 644 secs that you reported it also happens at time 630 secs. In both instances full pitch forward is commanded while full negative throttle is in effect. A quad copter can't produce horizontal thrust without producing some vertical thrust. That's the reason why the vertical descent is arrested.

Hello and thank you for your response. I understand what you are saying and makes a lot of sense,  but Is it something that you have experienced before?  I am sure that I might have done it again but the drone didn't have the same behaviour. Is that normal or should I ask for a replacement?
3-24 21:09
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

BudWalker Posted at 3-24 20:50

Hi,

Read yout text twice, trying to understand in relation to this flightlog.

Quadcopters always produce vertical thrust, in any flying conditions, without any vertical thrust it will become a falling brick.
Flying with full forward stick (thus fwd speed)  and full down stick will make the drone descend with a linear rate of descend value.In this fly situation there are both a vertical and horizontal thrust component ; vertical force < mass of object = descending.

My mini4pro and other DJI drones does the same sometimes, refuses to go down on RC down stick, what you see in my chart of OP data flight #1.
To make the drone to descend you need to reduce speed, with less speed drone start to follow the RC down command.

DJI changed the low flying behaviour on down stick, try to fly real low (approx 1 - 2  meter or so) above the ground with speed at level flight and apply down stick : it will not go down!
This will prevent the drone to go into an autolanding! (for this IR height must measure 0.5 meter + short full Down stick (actually > approx 80% down stick)

If Vision and IR height sensors are not 100% correct this will also happen flying at heights, as in this log.

Im my chart the Baro Height line coulors yellow ( at 4m26.7s) when RC down stick is applied and drone does not descend.
See also thet the vertical speed remains at zero with the applied down stick.
In other parts of the flight drone descended correctly om down stick with full forward stick (chart3) [  yellow parts indicates reaction responce on down input)

Not responding on Down stick happend more in the log (see chart2, yellow parts of the line) , but at 4m26s it is seen more clearly.

If this not responding issue happens frequently in next flights, ask DJI for analysis and probably a warranty issue.

cheers
JJB   [ Charts by FRAP ; the 'best' software for data and visual flightlog analysis (www.jjbfrap.eu) ]

Analysis1.png
Analysis2.png
Analysis3.png
3-25 02:35
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

About the video recording...

Few time in the log  "Aircraft storage full. Back up file and clear space"

Did you record using the internal storage of the SD card ?

cheers
JJB

3-25 02:57
Use props
GiannisS
lvl.1
Greece

JJB* Posted at 3-25 02:35
Hi,

I see that is very helpful thanks a lot!  As far as the video recording is concerned I was using an SD at the time and not the drone memory.

Thanks a lot again for all the help you provided!
3-25 04:36
Use props
GiannisS
lvl.1
Greece

JJB* Posted at 3-25 02:35
Hi,

Hello guys, so it did it again today. I am starting to believe that is something that has to do with weak signals.  Maybe there is a feature that helps you when you have a bad signal to maintain it somehow and not reduce the altitude anymore?  What you mentioned above totally makes sense but wouldn't Dji have a kind of software to control that?
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8PRGPWL3NE67OL5U9BUM/
(8m 7.6s -8m 26.4s)
3-25 06:01
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

GiannisS Posted at 3-25 06:01
Hello guys, so it did it again today. I am starting to believe that is something that has to do with weak signals.  Maybe there is a feature that helps you when you have a bad signal to maintain it somehow and not reduce the altitude anymore?  What you mentioned above totally makes sense but wouldn't Dji have a kind of software to control that?
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8PRGPWL3NE67OL5U9BUM/
(8m 7.6s -8m 26.4s)

Hi,

Easy to spot, not descending with RC down input.Go to DJI support for this.
Check your sensors for scratches etc.

cheers
JJB
Analysis1.png
3-25 08:33
Use props
GiannisS
lvl.1
Greece

JJB* Posted at 3-25 08:33
Hi,

Easy to spot, not descending with RC down input.Go to DJI support for this.

Thanks a lot, Ill go tomorrow and ask about it.
3-25 08:35
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

For a good explanation of what caused this incident take a look at

Drone did not descend and stopped recording

3-25 15:44
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, GiannisS. Thank you for reaching out. We'll forward this to our relevant team for further checking. We'll get back to you once we receive an update.
3-26 01:57
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, GiannisS. Thank you for patiently waiting, our relevant team recommended uploading flight records for data analysis, and providing abnormal test times and corresponding aircraft log data and app logs.

How to upload flight records via DJI Fly?
1. Synchronize flight records automatically when Wi-Fi is connected.
On the DJI Fly app homepage, go to Profile - Settings - Sync Flight Data - Auto-sync Flight Records, and switch on the Auto-sync Flight Records function. Then, the DJI Fly app will upload your flight records to the cloud automatically over Wi-Fi.

Please follow the steps below to export the aircraft log data:
Step I: Please connect the aircraft to a computer with a USB-C cable. Launch DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series). Tap the Aircraft icon.
Step II: Go to the Product Page. Select “Log Export” on the left menu. Then, select the required time point data and finally select “Save to Local”.
Step III: After “Download Complete” appears, it indicates that the data has been saved locally.
Step IV: Then save the .DAT file format."

For the app logs, please let us know what RC you have so that we can provide you the instructions on how to export them.
3-27 05:29
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

GiannisS Posted at 3-24 09:39
Thank you for the answer. Is it something that I have to worry about ? I haven’t exceeded the 14 days return period so maybe I can ask for a replacement

Of course, you can always get a replacement.
4-13 03:11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules