Mavic 3 Pro Cine 1x Camera Lens Distortion
315 11 3-25 08:08
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
a_ambrose
lvl.2
United States

I've had my Mavic 3 Pro Cine for almost 8 months and have noticed an annoying lens distortion when editing the photographs taken in 16:9 aspect ratio. It's most noticeable when the horizon (or a horizontal line) is in the upper or lower 1/4 of the photo. If in the upper, the horizon (or line) dips down then curves upward at the left and right edges of the photo. If in the lower, the line curves downward at the edges. I've tried different lens profiles in Adobe Camera Raw and I've also tried manually correcting the distortion. Nothing seems to correct it accurately. It doesn't seem to be visible when shooting video.
PSKYCAM_20230930110852_0436_small.jpg
3-25 08:08
Use props
a_ambrose
lvl.2
United States

After some research, the distortion appears to be caused by the embedded lens profile in the DNG. I loaded the image into DxO PureRAW and let it apply its correction which fixed the problem. I wish there were an easier and less expensive method to solve this rather than spending $119 US for PureRAW to strip the embedded profile.
3-25 18:00
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I raised it a while ago in the forums that the embedded lens profile in the M3 wasn't quite correct. Personally I don't take photos in 16:9, but in 4:3. In 4:3 the same warping is seen on high landscape shots. I found that the Phantom lens profile fixes this within Lightroom. Give that a try and move the sliders about to correct the distortion.

On a side note - I really wouldn't suggest taking your photos in 16:9. You're not gaining anything and actually losing out on data. There are fewer pixels in 16:9 and the crop simply slices a section of the 4:3 image to create the 16:9 image you end up with.
3-26 01:07
Use props
a_ambrose
lvl.2
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 3-26 01:07
I raised it a while ago in the forums that the embedded lens profile in the M3 wasn't quite correct. Personally I don't take photos in 16:9, but in 4:3. In 4:3 the same warping is seen on high landscape shots. I found that the Phantom lens profile fixes this within Lightroom. Give that a try and move the sliders about to correct the distortion.

On a side note - I really wouldn't suggest taking your photos in 16:9. You're not gaining anything and actually losing out on data. There are fewer pixels in 16:9 and the crop simply slices a section of the 4:3 image to create the 16:9 image you end up with.
I use Adobe Camera Raw rather than Lightroom. It's just my preference since I've been using it since 2005. None of the DJI Phantom lens profiles in ACR correct the horizon distortion as well as PureRAW. Maybe they would for 4:3.

Point taken on the 4:3 vs 16:9. Thank you.
3-26 15:10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, a_ambrose. Thank you for reaching out. Photos and videos taken by Mavic 3 Pro have been corrected for distortion automatically, so there should be no distortion for photos and videos.

JPG format is calibrated, and the DNG format comes with calibration parameters. This can be seen immediately after launching Photoshop or LightRoom and performing dewarping.
3-27 19:58
Use props
a_ambrose
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-27 19:58
Hi, a_ambrose. Thank you for reaching out. Photos and videos taken by Mavic 3 Pro have been corrected for distortion automatically, so there should be no distortion for photos and videos.

JPG format is calibrated, and the DNG format comes with calibration parameters. This can be seen immediately after launching Photoshop or LightRoom and performing dewarping.

The image I shared has not had any dewarping. There is definitely distortion in the horizon. The image has the embedded lens profile which Photoshop recognizes, and that appears to be causing the warped horizon.
3-28 10:27
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

a_ambrose Posted at 3-28 10:27
There is definitely distortion. The DNG image I shared has not had any post processing. However, it has the embedded lens profile which Photoshop recognizes, and that appears to be causing the warped horizon.

Don't waste your time with the mods, half of what they say has absolutely nothing to do with what you asked. You will get nowhere!
3-28 10:42
Use props
a_ambrose
lvl.2
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 3-28 10:42
Don't waste your time with the mods, half of what they say has absolutely nothing to do with what you asked. You will get nowhere!

I'm beginning to realize that. What's the best way to get things resolved?
3-28 10:47
Use props
a_ambrose
lvl.2
United States

This image shows the same horizon in 3 different states. The red horizontal line is for reference. You can clearly see the embedded lens profile does not correct distortion properly.
3-28 11:26
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

a_ambrose Posted at 3-28 11:26
This image shows the same horizon in 3 different states. You can clearly see the embedded lens profile does not correct distortion properly.
[view_image]

It's hit and miss with the mods. If you persist they will apparently pass it on to the techs.

Your image example is perfectly showing what I see and how it's not quite right.
3-28 11:37
Use props
a_ambrose
lvl.2
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 3-28 11:37
It's hit and miss with the mods. If you persist they will apparently pass it on to the techs.

Your image example is perfectly showing what I see and how it's not quite right.

Hopefully others experiencing this will see this post and weigh in. I've tried correcting this on my own since I got the drone and discovered it. I even tried creating some custom actions in Photoshop to fix it. They work to an extent but not as well as PureRAW. I'll try shooting some photos in 4:3 and see if the Phantom lens profiles do any better. Until this is fixed, I'll continue to use PureRAW since it seems to get it right every time. A $120 solution to a problem that could most likely easily be fixed by DJI or even Adobe if they would allow us to bypass the embedded profile and correct it manually.
Thanks!
3-29 06:55
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

iginal

a_ambrose Posted at 3-28 10:27
The image I shared has not had any dewarping. There is definitely distortion in the horizon. The image has the embedded lens profile which Photoshop recognizes, and that appears to be causing the warped horizon.

Thank you for the reply, a_ambrose. Can you please upload the original files to a shareable link like Google Drive or DropBox for further checking?
3-29 07:43
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules