6 months later w/ the I3
228 4 3-27 17:36
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Josephsmith
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

After 6 months of using the I3 drone, I think I'm in a better position now to reflect on what I think works and what needs to be improved.

1. The most important lenses you should invest in first include the 24mm and 50mm, the 18mm third, and last lense to buy is the 35mm.
We desperately need a new lense for this drone that matches 70mm or greater (the mavic 3 pro is even futher along then the I3 with their 70mm)

2. If you think 20k is all you're going to spend on this drone and it's necessary accessories, guess again.  I couldv'e purchased a Red Rapter XL with the kind of money I've invested in the I3.  Is it worth 40k+? Well you're defintely getting a superior 4k 120fps image from the other drones but it's only a matter of time before these specs are matched or surpassed by the mavic 4.

3. Most people who purchase this drone will be left in the dark as how to how to color grade the footage.  There should be more tutorials available that aren't so difficult to find on a proper workflow for davinci and final cut pro x.

4. Co-pilot mode is more trouble than it's worth.  Maybe for a short specific flight objective but it's less than ideal under other circumstances

5. Solo Pilots will find the lack of continuous autofocus features extremely inconvenient.  Not ideal for shooting sporting events like boat or car races especially when using the 50mm lens.  I honestly think the I3 engineering team could have found a way to solve the autofocus issue along with spotlight pro had they not released the drone before it's time.  It should have been released this 2024 Spring/Summer rather than almost a year ago to improve this issue as well as the next one...

6. The rolling shutter/jello effect on this x9 air camera is horrendous! I find anything less than 60 fps basically unusable for the kind of sports footage I do.  This is another mechanical/technical issue that should have been worked out before they forced this drone out on the market.

7.  Many have already mentioned this but the speed control on the RC Plus controller was not well thought out.  Instead of going from normal to speed mode to slow mode last it should go in this order:  Slow/Normal/fast - What was DJI thinking regarding this?!  By the way, the slow mode is not slow at all, it's more like normal speed which is dangerous and not easy to get used to.

8. The camera gimbal movements are way too fast, why not program the speed to mimic the mavic 3's camera gimbal speed?  I know there's a way to adjust the speed but why not have a more practical uniform speed by default since that's what most users will stick with?

9. Bugs regarding battery firmware upgrades need to be addressed, I get these messages over and over at the most inconvenient times to upgrade the firmware of a battery even though I've already done this with that battery in the past.

10. Am I missing anything?
3-27 17:36
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
Flight distance : 333799 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yep, basic photo features, almost 9 months in now and no AEB I also noticed that the inspire 3 although seems to hold a better position than the I2, my dusk photos all had blur at simlar shutterspeeds where I was getting crisp shots with the I2.. Not sure whats happening there
3-30 14:17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Josephsmith. Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. We'll take these as suggestions of yours and forward them to our related department. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your understanding and support.
4-2 02:38
Use props
Mike9129
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

Talking about the gimbal/camera movement being too fast/too slow - Is there a feature on the I3 to set different gimbal speeds depending on which lens is attached? I haven't gone looking and haven't really needed it myself, but if it was there Id probably use it.
4-2 07:02
Use props
Josephsmith
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Mike9129 Posted at 4-2 07:02
Talking about the gimbal/camera movement being too fast/too slow - Is there a feature on the I3 to set different gimbal speeds depending on which lens is attached? I haven't gone looking and haven't really needed it myself, but if it was there Id probably use it.

Also if anyone has found a perfect custom setting for the I3 gimbal speed, please share it with us.  The default speed setting is really important because when you go on assignment working with other drone pilots, sometimes you don't have the time to find tune the gimbal speed settings.  They did a pretty good job with the mavic 3's default settings and that's still all I use.
4-2 10:48
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules