Struggling with HEVC and Windows
297 9 4-1 07:35
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brunaita
lvl.2
Spain

Hi

I am having some issues with videos recorded in HEVC. I would like this option since it allows some goodies as Normal color 10bit and so on

My common configuration of the camera is 2,7K / 60 fps  for MTB videos. Normally short 1-2 minutes that afterwards I edit together, normally with IPAD + Lightcut

Unfortunatelly I can not watch correctly the videos in my computer, where I store them as a backup

I have an old computer with W10 but hardware sholud be compatible (I7 6700HQ / GeForce GTX960M / 16GB RAM DDR 4 / SSD ). H264 videos run smooth in any application

Drivers and everything with the latest update. Energy of computer in performance mode.

I tryed almost everything I found in the web:

1. Using VLC. Dowloaded last version. I tryed a lot of different configurations as suggested in other post / windows forums. Video looks choopy and with strong artifacts
2. Downolad the windows codec (paying!). Here video image looks ok in any application but the timing is wrong, starting slow and then accelerationg, slow, accelerating...curiously the sound sems to be well coordinated
3. Other programs as Shot Cut also had similar problems

Do you have any ideas, what else can I do?

4-1 07:35
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the same issue, paid for HVEC codec but playback using multiple players is pixelated and other goings on, but it works fine using Adobe Premiere Pro

BTW, your laptop specs are newer than mine though, mine is an upgraded i7 4800MQ, 16gb, 2x GPU, 2gb (+8gb shared) Nvidia 840M (Intel 4600 128mb lol) 2x SSD
4-1 18:56
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi again, i have just found that my older Windows Media Player works just fine, version 12.0.22000.2538 from here
Follow instructions here https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/do ... ayer-12-windows-10/
4-1 19:10
Use props
TheStriff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24839 ft
Australia

Go to task manager and see what the computer is doing, check CPU and Memory to see if any are being maxed out?
4-1 19:30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That CPU doesnt support hardware decode of HEVC.      Depending on what software you use to edit you can probably get away with proxies.  Or if you just want to watch them you could always convert them back to mp4 with handbrake.fr
4-2 04:08
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

1. Install POT PLAYER. Try to play it checking Hardware decoding.
2. Try different driver for NVIDIA as the video card is making the decoding. You should see HEVC OK, as the GPU is OK in decoding it.
3. See if you do not need a Mainboard driver for Windows....sometimes some MB like MSI have dedicated drivers in order to work ok with the BUS and PCI slots.
4. See at NVIDIA settings if is set to use GPU for 3D instead of AUTO. You find it in the Display settings.
5. Try to uninstall all NVIDIA software and driver and reinstall after reboot ONLY the drivers without all NVIDIA crap. Also try to find driver version 375.95 and give it a try.

Try step by step all this in order to find the issue, if works do not advance to next point.
Cheers.
4-2 22:48
Use props
brunaita
lvl.2
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 4-2 04:08
That CPU doesnt support hardware decode of HEVC.      Depending on what software you use to edit you can probably get away with proxies.  Or if you just want to watch them you could always convert them back to mp4 with handbrake.fr

Hi
How do you know that the CPU is not compatible? It is an 6th generation, in theory compatible with HECV
4-3 23:07
Use props
brunaita
lvl.2
Spain

Thank you all for the responses

I will try with the suggested software.

My intention is only to view the videos. I would not like to convert to a compatible format, since these are rather raw videos, I can watch them in order to select, see where are the highlights, have a back up and so on. Therefore having 2 sets of the videos in different formats doesn't seem a good option

I will inform here
4-3 23:10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

brunaita Posted at 4-3 23:07
Hi
How do you know that the CPU is not compatible? It is an 6th generation, in theory compatible with HECV

That should be a Skylake processor which doesnt support 10bit HEVC only 8bit HEVC.

https://i.imgur.com/PQJlG5D.png
4-3 23:25
Use props
brunaita
lvl.2
Spain

Well I tryed the programs suggested here and the changes in the drivers of the card and unfortunatelly it didn't work

I am afraid as @DAFIys said, the CPU is simply not compatible. I checked the task manager while reproducing the video and it was constantly up and down to 95%....same with the GPU

Regarding proxy: How can I use that?
4-6 11:57
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules