Updating firmware via Assistant app (PC) vs DJI Fly (Phone)?
206 8 4-14 09:07
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
erutan
lvl.1
United States

I recently picked up an Avata 2 after being curious about things for quite a while, but the DJI Assistant 2 (consumer drone series) actually connects to my drone maybe one out of twenty times and I have never been able to get the goggles to connect. My phone when wired to the goggles connects perfectly everytime and I can check every linked device (MC, Drone, etc) for updates easily. FYI I downloaded the proper version two days ago, and have redownloaded it again today as support told me to. Having to reinstall applications every few days and reflash firmware and deal with terrible connectivity issues doesn't seem like a sustainable flow but it's what DJI Support keeps pushing me towards.
I have friends with a Mini 2 and a Mini 3 and have flown them a number of times and they only update their firmware via their phones and have never had issues over many years.  Obviously files can get cut off transmitting wirelessly, but I'd have to assume something like md5sum (released in 2001) is being used to check files for integrity before actually running the updates.

Is it really that unreliable to update firmware via the app? I can leave the phone plugged in, not close the program while in use, setup a custom DND profile etc when the app is running, etc to be on the ultra safe side.

4-14 09:07
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

99.9% of the time I use the app wirelessly to update all of my birds. The only time I really went to the Assistant software was to calibrate vision sensors, but that seems to be a thing of the past. Updating via the Fly app has gotten very smooth.
4-14 09:32
Use props
Mr. Mucus
lvl.2

United States

It is much more convenient to use the Fly app for updates.  Just power up your drone, goggles, & MC 2 or FPV Controller 3.  Connect the goggles to your phone with a USB-C or the adapter supplied with the drone.  Fly will detect any updates & process all of the devices automatically.  

Assistant 2 is temperamental.  Play around with your connection sequence.  Try running the Assistant 2 then connecting the other device to your computer.  Sometimes the other way around works.  It can be rather hit or miss with detecting attached equipment.

4-14 09:47
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

Thanks, I used fly for the previous two firmware updates just because I couldn't get the assistant to work. I was able to grab a log file from my drone once, I've tried a variety of timing sequences but don't remember what I did for the one that actually worked heh.

Part of the troubleshooting for my current issue includes refreshing firmware from assistant specifically (and reinstalling it again) - so far I haven't been able to do so.

It'd honestly be faster for me to apply firmware multiple times from fly than try and get assistant to connect with both drones and goggles.  I think I'll forget about assistant unless I have a very specific need for it.
4-14 09:50
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

FWIW https://www.ugreen.com/products/ugreen-usb-c-to-usb-c-cable-3ft-6ft-10ft cables work with my drone + DJI Assistant software. Went through a half dozen or so combinations multiple times in multiple timing setups. The dongle led me astray as I tried Samsung, Sony, and some no name cables with it and none worked, then I was trying different timing sequences on each one.

For my phone a belkin A to lightning worked the first time and hasn't had any issues.
4-15 16:53
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, erutan. Thank you for reaching out. The firmware update using the DJI app is as reliable as the firmware update in DJI Assistant 2. Moreover, it is much more convenient to use the DJI Fly app since you'll only need to connect to your phone. We suggest performing the update once, however, if you encounter any issues that's the time that you can refresh your firmware.  If the DJI Assistant 2 is not detecting the drone and goggles, you may follow the steps below:
1) Unplug and plug in the USB cable or use another USB cable. --> In WIN7 or a later system, turn off the antivirus program on the computer. Reinstall DJI Assistant 2. --> Manually re-install the driver.
2) Right-click “My Computer” --> “Administration” --> Select “Device Manager”, and check the drivers that should be installed in Windows (as shown in the figure).

Hope this helps.
4-16 06:29
Use props
=DUH=
lvl.3
Flight distance : 44944 ft
Germany

Why is it not possible to update/setup Avata 2 via existing RC2? It's also just a DJI Fly on a Android.
I prefer to not have the DJI Fly App on my mobile...
4-16 07:44
Use props
erutan
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-16 06:29
Hi, erutan. Thank you for reaching out. The firmware update using the DJI app is as reliable as the firmware update in DJI Assistant 2. Moreover, it is much more convenient to use the Assistant 2 since you'll only need to connect to your phone. We suggest performing the update once, however, if you encounter any issues that's the time that you can refresh your firmware.  If the DJI Assistant 2 is not detecting the drone and goggles, you may follow the steps below:
1) Unplug and plug in the USB cable or use another USB cable. --> In WIN7 or a later system, turn off the antivirus program on the computer. Reinstall DJI Assistant 2. --> Manually re-install the driver.
2) Right-click “My Computer” --> “Administration” --> Select “Device Manager”, and check the drivers that should be installed in Windows (as shown in the figure).

"The firmware update using the DJI app is as reliable as the firmware update in DJI Assistant 2. Moreover, it is much more convenient to use the Assistant 2 since you'll only need to connect to your phone."

That directly contradicts what I've been told by other support that firmware updates on the phone may fail so they recommend the desktop software.  I agree just needing to connect to my phone is more convenient.

I'm using the Mac version, so they windows settings don't help.  So far just using that one cable and ignoring the recommended usb-c to usb-a works for me.
4-16 09:23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

erutan Posted at 4-16 09:23
"The firmware update using the DJI app is as reliable as the firmware update in DJI Assistant 2. Moreover, it is much more convenient to use the Assistant 2 since you'll only need to connect to your phone."

That directly contradicts what I've been told by other support that firmware updates on the phone may fail so they recommend the desktop software.  I agree just needing to connect to my phone is more convenient.

Sorry for the confusion, erutan. I have updated the correct details above. The title has PC on it that's why I provided the troubleshooting steps for Windows. The DJI Fly update may only fail if you have an unreliable internet connection but if updating via Mac works for you, then that's okay as well. Have a safe flight always!
4-18 07:40
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules