Inspire 2 is still better than the Inspire 3 - Change my mind..
186 1 4-16 06:21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
barnytj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18343698 ft
  • >>>
Kenya

As a professional drone operator that works on many of the highest end wildlife documentaries, I have to say the Inspire 3 has been a massive dissapointment.

It seems this drone has been hashed together purely to be used by large crews in small environments.  On paper the specs are very impressive but in real use environments it fails to deliver.

The rolling shutter makes half of the footage unusable.  Even the X5S was better than this.

The lack of continuous autofocus is absurd - it's basically a platform that you can't effectively use as a single operator, which was very straightforward with the Inspire 2.

Forcing us to buy the TB51 batteries instead of making it backwards compatible with the TB50 was just greedy not to mention bad for the environment.

The RC looks all fancy, but in actual use is far inferior to the Cendence/Crystal Sky combo (even though the crystal sky often restarted itself mid flight).  On the cendence the side dials made it possible to change the sensitivity of the airframe and gimbal mid flight with ease.

A maximum focal length of just 50mm is very restrictive, and not allowing us to use Sony lenses like you can on the Ronin 4D, or coming up with the promised tele lens - what is that all about?  Why can't we use the DJI to Sony E mount adapter to use longer lenses?

With the Inspire 2 TB50 battery station, any unused batteries could be discharged to storage capacity after a shoot, and I found this to really signifciantly increase the life of the batteries - why is this not a feature with the TB51 battery charger?

The Inspire 3 has much better in flight stability and slighly longer flight time, but those are the only real advantages I am finding.

The impressive 8K specs should be an advantage, but not with out of focus rolling shutter footage, and the Cinema DNG options are very limited.

I would say being able to select a 180 degree shutter angle was a an advantage, but then selecting frame size and FPS is absurd excercise where you have to guess what is allowed and you are given a ridiculous number of increments in FPS, which is a time consuming and finicky process.  I haven't found a way to map any of the custom buttons to S&Q, which would make a lot of sense.  The whole interace is clunky and not well thought out.

To be honest, I think I may put all of my Inspire 3 kit on ebay, go back to the trusty Inspire 2, and wait for a better solution.
4-16 06:21
Use props
Josephsmith
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for your thread, you bring up some very good points which confirm some of my concerns about this drone.

1. The I3 drone body has much improved over the I3 including stability, reliability, and more quiet which is major.  However, the x9 camera is a failure!  It's obvious now that this drone was released 1 year before it should have been put on the market.

2. The rolling shutter with anything less than 60 fps is the most obvious issue but the lack of continuous autofocus is the most annoying aspect of this drone.  Had I known any better I would have stuck with my mavic 3 pro over this overpriced pre-mature released drone.

3. The fact that the TB51 batteries are not interchangeable with the Ronin 4D-8K is unnerving and for this reason I will stick with a RED on a DJI RS 3 gimbal

4. When flying dual, both the drone pilot and gimbal operator should both be able to pull focus, what were the engineers thinking?!

5.  The RC Plus goes from normal to sports mode to slow mode, once again, what were the engineers thinking?! It should start at slow cine mode, then normal, then sports mode

6.  Also another issue with the drone is the fact that CDNG is limited to 25 fps! Why?! If it could do 60 fps then we can edit it directly in Davinci Resolve rather than have to convert pro res raw to CDNG

I can go on and on!

One thing is for certain,

I3 DJI engineers, I hope you guys are already planning and working on the x10 or x12 gimbal camera to replace the pre-mature flawed x9.

We need 1. Continuous auto-focus especially one that can detect a moving subject such as a human or a car 2. a camera that can shoot 24 fps without the awful rolling shutter issue 3. 8.1k CDNG which is capable of 60 fps
4-20 14:24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules