276 12 4-16 22:45
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I saw complaints about this in some reviews and decided to check myself - It's totally unacceptable Avata 2 became unresponsive and flew herself uncontrollable

It was during the flight at home in a darker corridor with No GPS coverage - Avata 2 suddenly accelerated without listening to stick input and hit the wall - fortunately, no damage was inflicted but its unacceptable!!!

atti avata2.jpg
4-16 22:45
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Oh! oh! THAT is NOT good Alex.
4-16 23:04
Use props
Christian_MUC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1023579 ft
Germany

HI, although it is clearly mentioned in the manual that the VPS does not work in dark environments the Avata should at least be controllable like an acro fpv drone. Also there should be more than enough on attitude information to level the Avata and land immediately.
4-16 23:15
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Christian_MUC Posted at 4-16 23:15
HI, although it is clearly mentioned in the manual that the VPS does not work in dark environments the Avata should at least be controllable like an acro fpv drone. Also there should be more than enough on attitude information to level the Avata and land immediately.

As Alex says there was 'no control' using the sticks, surely this is a 'no no'. I thought you should still have control in Atti mode!
4-16 23:53
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

yogi053 Posted at 4-16 23:53
As Alex says there was 'no control' using the sticks, surely this is a 'no no'. I thought you should still have control in Atti mode!

Or at least I was Not able to control it! The change was sudden, unexpected and speed gain was dramatic for me
4-17 00:09
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

alex_markov Posted at 4-17 00:09
Or at least I was Not able to control it! The change was sudden, unexpected and speed gain was dramatic for me

I understand Alex, but you have been flying your original Avata for a good while now so you have lots of experience flying Avatas. If it was too quick for you to take control what chance do us lesser mortals have in exercising proper control? I suppose it is just one more detail to remember amongst lots of others . (Don't fly in low light with no GPS). So much to take in. Wish I was younger with a better memory!
4-17 02:15
Use props
Christian_MUC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1023579 ft
Germany

Hi, i have experienced the same today, cruising through my home to a bit darker room, altough perfect sight through the goggles, the Avata suddenly lost its positioning and slowly drifted backwards against the wall. => Do not fly indoors unless there is plenty of light. DJI: Please check wether the sensivity of the VPS can be tuned.
4-17 10:31
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Christian_MUC Posted at 4-17 10:31
Hi, i have experienced the same today, cruising through my home to a bit darker room, altough perfect sight through the goggles, the Avata suddenly lost its positioning and slowly drifted backwards against the wall. => Do not fly indoors unless there is plenty of light. DJI: Please check wether the sensivity of the VPS can be tuned.

Thanks for reinforcing that info Christian.
4-17 10:39
Use props
nightfly
lvl.4

Romania

but in good light with no gps how does it work?
4-17 10:52
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10902 ft
United States

Avata 2 kit is scheduled for delivery today.  New to DJI, but have flown various bnf and home built UASs.  From my understanding ATTI is basically no GPS positioning, but barometric altitude positioning?  If so, at least indoors you should be able to hold and easily control your position.  I also thought that ATTI is basically equivalent to what DJI calls S mode. without  GPS positioning.   That is, limited rates not allowing you to go beyond whatever DJI programs into the FC.  Has anyone launched their Avata 2 in ATTI mode and experienced zilch for control?  If so, something is definitely off even if you have real basic stick skills.  If the drone flies fine when ATTI mode is engaged before take off, but goes wonky if switching to ATTI mode like noted by the few above.  Still an issue that really needs to be addressed.

Thanks for the heads up regarding this potential issue.  Will do the maiden indoors test flight with ATTI engaged. Just need to figure out where on the menu of options to engage it.   Hopefully option on the mode switch on the HC2? If so, might try launching under GPS mode and switch to ATTI while hovering and see what happens.
4-17 10:54
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

OldGuy2024 Posted at 4-17 10:54
Avata 2 kit is scheduled for delivery today.  New to DJI, but have flown various bnf and home built UASs.  From my understanding ATTI is basically no GPS positioning, but barometric altitude positioning?  If so, at least indoors you should be able to hold and easily control your position.  I also thought that ATTI is basically equivalent to what DJI calls S mode. without  GPS positioning.   That is, limited rates not allowing you to go beyond whatever DJI programs into the FC.  Has anyone launched their Avata 2 in ATTI mode and experienced zilch for control?  If so, something is definitely off even if you have real basic stick skills.  If the drone flies fine when ATTI mode is engaged before take off, but goes wonky if switching to ATTI mode like noted by the few above.  Still an issue that really needs to be addressed.

Thanks for the heads up regarding this potential issue.  Will do the maiden indoors test flight with ATTI engaged. Just need to figure out where on the menu of options to engage it.   Hopefully option on the mode switch on the HC2? If so, might try launching under GPS mode and switch to ATTI while hovering and see what happens.

DJi Never had such an option, so don't look for her it'll come by surprise And I know what ATTI is supposed to mean but whatever DJI was doing in this case was far from it - Avata 2 aggressively speeded up toward the wall without any input from my side
4-17 11:33
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10902 ft
United States

alex_markov Posted at 4-17 11:33
DJi Never had such an option, so don't look for her it'll come by surprise  And I know what ATTI is supposed to mean but whatever DJI was doing in this case was far from it - Avata 2 aggressively speeded up toward the wall without any input from my side

IRRC, Phantom generation tx had a 3 way switch to select flight modes.  Assumed "A" was for ATTI mode.

So this is some automatic default mode that kicks in when GPS signal is lost?  
If so, no options to shut the ATTI mode off?  Based on what's happening. No ATTI mode would be the better option until the problem is fixed. Even my $139 1s quad has a simple, quick onscreen option to disengage or activate the barometer and/or visual altitude hold sensors.
Avata arrived.  Activated, updated the firmware.  Wondering if needing to recalibrate the IMU after the firmware update.  Wondering if not recal somehow might be linked to this issue. Clueless to the ins and outs of DJI.  Usually on the non-DJI hardware recalibration after hard landings or crashes.  Recal would be part of post firmware update.  
4-17 12:03
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, alex_markov. Thank you for reaching out. This is normal, if there is no GPS and also vision system is unavailable (for example in a dark environment ) the aircraft will enter ATTI mode, which you'll need to control the aircraft manually, the aircraft itself cannot precisely hover nor autonomous braking under this condition. Thank you for your kind understanding and support.
4-22 04:11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules