First flight impressions and another first.
146 1 4-18 08:27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OldGuy2024
lvl.2
Flight distance : 255259 ft
United States

First the "another first".  1st time in my UAS life I have not crashed the platform during the maiden flight session.  Not due to any improved "stick skill".  If anything the years away have resulted in significantly degraded stick skills.  Using the Motion Controller 2, flying N mode most of the time.

Initial impressions:

1. Definitely an FPV quad that can be the 1st quad.  Have never flown a quad that comes to a rapid stop and hover with release of the throttle.  Accelerated up to ~10m/s up the driveway, picked a spot where I wanted to stop, stopped well short as soon as releasing the trigger.  First quad that auto takes off and lands.  Rates and expo seem to be gentle. Joystick on the MC makes life too easy for landing on the pad.  But, engaged the RTH. Avata2 returned as it should.  Missed the pad by ~1/2 meter. Next RTH test. Quick disengage RTH and "manually" land.

2. Impressed and not impressed with the range and penetration of the VTX. Just flying on my heavily wooded 40.  RSSI indicators if flying without any obstruction stayed lock on max.  No issues tucking behind the house at ~2-3 meter elevation.  +300 meter driveway with couple gentle curves and one tighter curve at the township road. No issues around that last curve at ~2 meters elevation. Which is ~5 meters below launch pad.  The maybe not impressed. Really bit harsh when I think back to the flight. Trees have not leafed out. Have ~3km of trail on the property.  Headed uphill on a ~1.5km loop. Flying at 1.5-2.5 meter elevation. All was fine until sudden drop of VTx signal. House between me and the quad.  Add dense woods. Probably unrealistic to expect any vtx and vrx to penetrate.

3. Wind.... Giant +100 year old red oaks would occasionally sway in a gust.  Ground level wind was minimal (F3-4).  Punched the Avata2 skywards in an upward climbing spiral. Got caught in a gust.  High wind warning flashed on the screen. Position hold wasn't the best.  Lake Superior here I come. Switched to S mode and powered dived it down.  No issues returning to over the 40.  When first opening I was wondering about the motors.  Bit on the small size.  No idea what the kv rating is.  Propeller pitch look significant.  Guessing low kv, high torque motors?  Plenty of thrust.

4. Image. First digital system. Nothing to compare against but analog hardware.  No contest.  Seeing the dangling thin branches and saplings clearly way before hitting will save many propellers and other crash damage. Plus "where the heck is the quad......"

Bottomline:  If this quad and system doesn't develop some wonkiness with use.  Happy and really not a bad value if you don't mind being locked into the DJI world.  JMHO, great platform and system for anyone's first FPV UAS. So easy to setup and just go fly. With some "stick" time the controller and position of buttons will become intuitive. Right now only long term concern when looking for MC2, G3 replacement batteries I found zilch. Hopefully will be an availabe accessory in the future.  
4-18 08:27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Thank you for your sharings. Hope you can enjoy the flights with our products. Should you encounter any issues when using the product, please let us know.
4-19 03:06
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules