A Treasure in Spain, Extremadura: Monastery of Guadalupe
151 18 4-19 01:51
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Discover Spain
Second Officer

United States

The Monastery of Guadalupe, also known as Our Lady of Guadalupe, is an architectural gem renowned for its impressive fusion of Gothic and Mudéjar styles, not only in Extremadura but throughout Spain. Designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1993, this Marian sanctuary is a must-visit for any art and history enthusiast.

The monastic complex encompasses a labyrinth of 22,000 square meters, filled with buildings of exceptional artistry. In addition to the main Gothic temple, it features a Gothic-style cloister and two Mudéjar-style cloisters, each with its own unique beauty.

The monastery's facade is simply spectacular, with two pointed arched doorways, elaborate tympanums, rectangular frames, and a large rosette, all adorned with elegant Mudéjar-style flamboyant tracery.

Another highlight is the Mudéjar cloister, with its quadrilateral design and pointed horseshoe arches rising on octagonal pillars. At the center stands the famous Mudéjar shrine, a harmonious fusion of Gothic and Islamic forms creating a structure of great beauty.

Within the monastic temple, numerous artistic treasures can be found, including chapels, the old library, shrines with fountains, an auditorium, and a famous sacristy. Additionally, the monastery houses three museums dedicated to embroidered works, illuminated choirbooks, as well as ancient paintings and sculptures.

The Monastery of Guadalupe has been praised throughout history for its magnificence. Even Miguel de Cervantes, in "The Works of Persiles and Sigismunda," acknowledged its greatness, stating that "to begin to see the grandeur of that holy monastery" was just the beginning, as its splendor is inexhaustible.

4-19 01:51
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lovely work.   
4-19 02:01
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Beautiful building. Reminds me a bit of the Alhambra at 2.21
4-19 03:23
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567024 ft
United Kingdom

Absolutely stunning building and town - lovely video
4-19 03:26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Spectacular complex.    Great mix of aerial and ground footage.  I could definitely spend a few days here.  
4-19 04:46
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Astoundingly beautiful architecture, in lovely surroundings. Together with the historical background and suitable soundtrack, this makes a great production.
4-19 10:21
Use props
Discover Spain
Second Officer

United States

Thanks! What did you like most about it?
4-19 12:23
Use props
Discover Spain
Second Officer

United States

Depp Posted at 4-19 03:23
Beautiful building. Reminds me a bit of the Alhambra at 2.21

Thank you for your kind words about the building. I can see why you might find some similarities to the Alhambra, particularly in the use of intricate details and horseshoe arches. This is because, like much of the Iberian Peninsula during that era, the architecture of the Hospedería del Convento de Guadalupe (what you watched at 3:03)  bears the influence of the eight centuries of Moorish rule in the region.

The Alhambra, itself a UNESCO World Heritage Site, stands as a testament to the grandeur and artistry of Islamic architecture. Its construction began in the 13th century under the Nasrid dynasty of Granada, and over the following two centuries, it evolved into a magnificent palace complex, encompassing gardens, palaces, and military fortifications. The Alhambra's intricate tilework, delicate stucco carvings, and graceful arches showcase the pinnacle of Islamic architectural achievement in Spain.

If you're interested in exploring the evolution of  architecture in Spain, I highly recommend watching this video about the Alcázar of Seville. This impressive fortress, also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, showcases the architectural styles that emerged during the later stages of Moorish rule in the Iberian Peninsula until nowadays. It's a fascinating glimpse into the rich cultural heritage of Spain.
4-19 12:35
Use props
Discover Spain
Second Officer

United States

Codgerzh2 Posted at 4-19 03:26
Absolutely stunning building and town - lovely video

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Guadalupe truly is a remarkable place, isn't it?
4-19 12:37
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Discover Spain Posted at 4-19 12:35
Thank you for your kind words about the building. I can see why you might find some similarities to the Alhambra, particularly in the use of intricate details and horseshoe arches. This is because, like much of the Iberian Peninsula during that era, the architecture of the Hospedería del Convento de Guadalupe (what you watched at 3:03)  bears the influence of the eight centuries of Moorish rule in the region.

The Alhambra, itself a UNESCO World Heritage Site, stands as a testament to the grandeur and artistry of Islamic architecture. Its construction began in the 13th century under the Nasrid dynasty of Granada, and over the following two centuries, it evolved into a magnificent palace complex, encompassing gardens, palaces, and military fortifications. The Alhambra's intricate tilework, delicate stucco carvings, and graceful arches showcase the pinnacle of Islamic architectural achievement in Spain.

An impressive place that I like to remember from 20+ years back when I visited.
4-19 22:50
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Discover Spain Posted at 4-19 12:23
Thanks! What did you like most about it?

Apart from seeing some of another country,  your filming style is nice and slow so you get just enough time to take in the scene whereas many of this style of video things are moving too quickly,  I hope that makes sense.
4-20 00:20
Use props
Discover Spain
Second Officer

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-19 04:46
Spectacular complex.    Great mix of aerial and ground footage.  I could definitely spend a few days here.

Thank you! I'm glad you found the complex spectacular. You're right, it's a truly captivating place.
While there isn't any aerial footage in this video, I took some camera shoots from elevated vantage points, like the mountains you might have noticed, to capture the scale and beauty of the entire complex.
4-22 01:20
Use props
Discover Spain
Second Officer

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 4-19 10:21
Astoundingly beautiful architecture, in lovely surroundings. Together with the historical background and suitable soundtrack, this makes a great production.

Wow, thank you for such a thoughtful comment! I really strived to capture the beauty of the architecture and its environment, and I'm happy it came across. Glad the historical background and music resonated with you as well!
4-22 01:22
Use props
Discover Spain
Second Officer

United States

Depp Posted at 4-19 22:50
An impressive place that I like to remember from 20+ years back when I visited.

That's wonderful to hear! It's a place that stays with you, isn't it? I'm glad this video brought back those happy memories for you.
4-22 01:24
Use props
Discover Spain
Second Officer

United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-20 00:20
Apart from seeing some of another country,  your filming style is nice and slow so you get just enough time to take in the scene whereas many of this style of video things are moving too quickly,  I hope that makes sense.

Thank you! I completely understand what you mean. I like to give viewers time to appreciate the beauty of a place.
4-22 01:26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Discover Spain Posted at 4-22 01:26
Thank you! I completely understand what you mean. I like to give viewers time to appreciate the beauty of a place.

4-22 01:30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Discover Spain Posted at 4-22 01:22
Wow, thank you for such a thoughtful comment! I really strived to capture the beauty of the architecture and its environment, and I'm happy it came across. Glad the historical background and music resonated with you as well!

Keep up the good work
4-22 01:43
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Discover Spain Posted at 4-22 01:20
Thank you! I'm glad you found the complex spectacular. You're right, it's a truly captivating place.
While there isn't any aerial footage in this video, I took some camera shoots from elevated vantage points, like the mountains you might have noticed, to capture the scale and beauty of the entire complex.

It's my pleasure.  Good to know that the shots were elevated.  Hope you have a wonderful week.
4-22 02:05
Use props
Discover Spain
Second Officer

Sweden

Blériot53 Posted at 4-22 01:43
Keep up the good work

I will try. Thanks!
4-22 03:41
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now