Phantom 2 Vision+ Fire: DJI hasn't responded to email
1962 18 2015-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dereksc007
New

United States

Hi! Hopefully someone here can help me/point me in the right direction of how to get help for my DJI Phantom 2 Vision+. I sent an email to DJI on August 21st with pictures of my quad, which started on fire. Pictures here (http://imgur.com/a/9Dp9U) and details below:
A month ago (August 11), my Phantom 2 Vision+ started on fire, and I have no idea why.
On August 21, I emailed DJI (Support.us@dji.com), and I haven't even gotten a 'we got your email' response. The past couple weeks, I've been trying to call their LA Support Line ((818) 235 0789 ), but it keeps hanging up on me. In addition, I've tweeted and Facebooked the official DJI accounts, and nothing.
How can I contact them to get it warrantied? The 6th month since purchase was Sept 6th. Since the fire happened before then, and I've been trying to contact them since August, I figure that the warranty should still be applicable. I'm seriously getting sick of not getting a reply or being able to call DJI. Any help would be appreciated.
And for those curious, here is the timeline of events the day my quad started on fire:

• First flight of day using DJI battery #1 ~10 am.
  • Second flight of day, DJI battery #1, ~12 pm
  • Third flight of day, DJI battery #2, ~3:45 pm
  • Attempted 4th flight (i.e. battery fire), DJI battery #3, ~4:40 pm
During my 4th attempt, where the quad caught fire right after being turned on, the timeline of events are as follows:
  • Remove Phantom from carrying case.
  • Remove battery from flight #3, put in fresh, fully charged battery.
  • Make sure gimbal holds are removed, put in props, set quad on ground.
  • Turn on quad, turn around to go grab transmitter from carrying case.
  • My dad yells "smoke!", and I turn around to see Phantom smoking.
  • Run to quad, see a fire through the right back vent holes.
  • Yank out battery, glance inside to see size of fire.
  • After quickly determining the fire was the approximate size of a birthday candle flame, I decided to blow out the fire.
  • Look at now-removed battery, and see that it is still on. I then turn it off.
  • Take pictures of the damage.
All batteries I own are DJI batteries, not knockoffs. The battery in the quad when it started on fire had been used before, with an estimated 5-15 times of use. The battery was fully charged (all 4 solid green lights). The quadcopter was not hot from the previous flights of the day (there was nearly an hour between the fire and the flight before).
The quadcopter was bought brand new from "Drones Etc" on March 6th, 2015. I bought it from that owner on April 13, 2015. I have had dozens of successful flights since my purchase.

I had also emailed Drones Etc. about the incident, and they told me that it was a warranty issue, and that I should contact DJI, which I've been trying to do.

If I don't get an offical response from DJI, the only next steps I can think of are:

1. Sending a certified letter to DJI North America headquarters.
2. Filing a Better Business Bureau complaint.

I'd prefer to do neither of these things. So...can anyone help?
2015-9-13
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Do you have the original receipt for the Phantom ?
As you bought the Phantom second-hand I doubt the original warranty will be valid, no mention of the warranty being transferable to a second owner on the DJI site.
I would ask the guy you bought it from for a refund.
2015-9-13
Use props
dereksc007
New

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-9-13 16:43
Do you have the original receipt for the Phantom ?
As you bought the Phantom second-hand I doubt th ...

I would have to ask the guy I bought it from for the original receipt, as I don't have it.

As for a warranty being transferable, I don't see anything to say that the warranty stops if someone else buys it. After all, the warranty should stick with the product, not the original owner.
2015-9-13
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Its still worth trying DJI, but the first thing they ask in the warranty section is for the original receipt, most warranties are not transferable unless you have filled in a transfer form from the manufacturer, and not all manufactures allow the warranty to be transferred.
I cant think of many manufactures that will warrant anything bought second-hand.
Anyway, you need to keep trying the NA number you quoted as that will be the best way to contact them.
2015-9-13
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Two things , they accepted mine foe warranty under another persons name as they gave me the paper work and it was a Christmas gift. 2nd to get better service call them on,land line to DJI technician support. They are the guys to give you and RMA. Email,is to slow or not received all the time . Get and write down the persons name you talked to and keep a log of activities and action.
2015-9-13
Use props
dereksc007
New

United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-9-13 21:20
Two things , they accepted mine foe warranty under another persons name as they gave me the paper wo ...

Do you have the number for that land line? I'd really appreciate it.
2015-9-15
Use props
homer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 612457 ft
United States

You got it,
I can't get through either,
just get a recorded message of very high call volume try back later.

Tomorrow I well give it my best try. I have four lines at my store, My cell phone and store cell phone that is not being used. I will use two store lines and two cell lines when ever I can.

Update: Called this morning pressed #3, Got hold music for 15 mins exactly. Got Disconected.
Tried again, as soon as pressed #3. I got a technician.

2015-9-15
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Last number I had for tech support for North America is 1-818-235-0789
2015-9-23
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to report that it has been resolved.

Dave
2016-3-16
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Wow...This goes back aways....One of my kids was in diapers when this originally came up...now they are driving a car...LOL...
Thanks for letting us know it was fixed....
2016-3-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-3-17 11:24
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to report that it has been resolved.

Are you doing a bit of housekeeping on old threads?
2016-3-16
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-17 11:12

I think this might be what they call Penance....Maybe Dave was a baaaaad boy or something......
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-16 20:12

Well I had my reasons for this one.

Dave
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-3-16 20:24
I think this might be what they call Penance....Maybe Dave was a baaaaad boy or something......

Ha ha

No I am a good boy.

Dave
2016-3-17
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I kind of like the way that smoke damage looks...
2016-3-17
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunately this happens to  a small percentage of lithium polymer batteries from iPhones to scooters to e-cigarettes. Anything with a lipo has a chance at catching fire.
2016-3-17
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2016-3-17 22:19
I kind of like the way that smoke damage looks...

Has a starwars look to it.
2016-3-18
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2016-3-18 19:25
Has a starwars look to it.

Yes it does, I might try a duplicate that look on my p3.
2016-3-20
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-20 20:50
Yes it does, I might try a duplicate that look on my p3.

What we need is someone to develop a mini smoke cannon so we can light it up per se as we are whizzing through the sky......
2016-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules