500 24 4-26 08:02
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Max Phlanx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1223816 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Bought my first ever FPV drone with the Avata 2 FMC along with the new Remote Controller 3 and ND filters so I can record in bright sunlight and use the cameras better settings. Anyhow after a few days my drone still had not been sent and it was due to the ND filters somehow being out of stock. They were in stock when I made the original purchace and as you might know you cannot place out of stock items in your cart for checkout.

So DJI sent the drone and controller and told me that they would send me the ND filters when they arrive. After a week I asked when that might be and after a few days I was told that it will be 3 months untill they are in stock again. Yes, you heard that right, THREE MONTHS!

So now I am in the very dissappointing position of having to return my drone and get a full refund and just buy everything again in THREE MONTHS time!

I feel extremely disspointed with DJI here, firstly, how can it take THREE MONTHS to get new stock and how could they run out of stock so quickly. I really do not want to retun my brand new Avata 2 but I feel I have no option. So I came here and made this post to see if someone from DJI can firstly see how ridiculous this is and secondly help make this right somehow.

Sorry for the complaint here but I feel pretty dissapointed by this experience.
4-26 08:02
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 915554 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Interestingly, I ordered ND Filter Set separately from my Avata 2 because it had a slightly later shipping date and I didn't wanna delay my Avata, but the filters ended up shipping and arriving before my Avata was even shipped. Sorry, not trying to brag, just saying they clearly had logistics issues with Avata 2 launch

Anyway, I know it's annoying, but I'm sure there will be cheaper 3rd party filters sooner than 3 months, there always are.
4-26 08:41
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14103563 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I ordered a set online from the official DJI/Hasselblad store in Birmingham, England on Wednesday and they arrived next day. I flew my Avata 2 with them today. As the store in Birmingham is owned by DJI arrange for them to call the manager there to change the order and get them sent to you. Should be possible as the same company. May be private message a senior mod like DJI Panda.
EDIT: this is a link to DJI UK but having just checked they are now also sold out - looks like I bought the last set! https://dji-retail.co.uk/products/dji-avata-2-nd-filters-set-nd8-16-32?_pos=18&_fid=ea59f0483&_ss=c but you may have more luck getting them sooner from there.
4-26 11:23
Use props
Max Phlanx
lvl.2
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-26 11:23
I ordered a set online from the official DJI/Hasselblad store in Birmingham, England on Wednesday and they arrived next day. I flew my Avata 2 with them today. As the store in Birmingham is owned by DJI arrange for them to call the manager there to change the order and get them sent to you. Should be possible as the same company. May be private message a senior mod like DJI Panda.
EDIT: this is a link to DJI UK but having just checked they are now also sold out - looks like I bought the last set! https://dji-retail.co.uk/products/dji-avata-2-nd-filters-set-nd8-16-32?_pos=18&_fid=ea59f0483&_ss=c but you may have more luck getting them sooner from there.

Started to get really excited there lol. Thank you though. I just cant believe that any employee at any company would be happy to tell a customer that just spent almost £1.5K that a brand new item will be out of stock for three months. I will have to send it all back because I do not want to waste three months worth of DJI Care for nothing.

Anyhow thank you again for your time and help squire, it was almost the answer.
4-26 12:09
Use props
Fozando
Second Officer
Flight distance : 682438 ft
Spain

Freewell filters coming soon
4-26 13:03
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Max Phlanx Posted at 4-26 12:09
Started to get really excited there lol. Thank you though. I just cant believe that any employee at any company would be happy to tell a customer that just spent almost £1.5K that a brand new item will be out of stock for three months. I will have to send it all back because I do not want to waste three months worth of DJI Care for nothing.

Anyhow thank you again for your time and help squire, it was almost the answer.

You're welcome - if I come across any for sale somewhere I will let you know on this thread.

4-26 13:16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are sorry for the unpleasant experience. We managed to find your order through your forum account and we will confirm this issue with the corresponding team and ask them to reply to your email asap.
4-28 03:20
Use props
Max Phlanx
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-28 03:20
Hi there, we are sorry for the unpleasant experience. We managed to find your order through your forum account and we will confirm this issue with the corresponding team and ask them to reply to your email asap.

Hello and thank you for your help here. Fingers crossed this will get rectified soon.
4-28 06:13
Use props
Max Phlanx
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Fozando Posted at 4-26 13:03
Freewell filters coming soon

Yes, but the very earliest they will be available is around the end of May in the UK unless I order direct from the US and pay the import duty and expensive postage. I am keeping an eye on eBay and Amazon though so maybe a set will pop up. Thank you for your suggestion.
4-28 06:16
Use props
Max Phlanx
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 4-26 08:41
Interestingly, I ordered ND Filter Set separately from my Avata 2 because it had a slightly later shipping date and I didn't wanna delay my Avata, but the filters ended up shipping and arriving before my Avata was even shipped. Sorry, not trying to brag, just saying they clearly had logistics issues with Avata 2 launch

Anyway, I know it's annoying, but I'm sure there will be cheaper 3rd party filters sooner than 3 months, there always are.

Lol.

Funny how things work sometimes. I think also because this is my first FPV drone that I fully intended to fly in full manual mode I would also feel a lot better knowing that there is that extra bit of protection to the camera that the ND filters provide. How are you finding the Avata 2 btw? From everything i have seen it looks like a very good new drone from DJI. Feels weird having it this long without flying it but if its going to go back then at least it will be completely unused. Thanks for your input.
4-28 06:23
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

Max Phlanx Posted at 4-28 06:23
Lol.

Funny how things work sometimes. I think also because this is my first FPV drone that I fully intended to fly in full manual mode I would also feel a lot better knowing that there is that extra bit of protection to the camera that the ND filters provide. How are you finding the Avata 2 btw? From everything i have seen it looks like a very good new drone from DJI. Feels weird having it this long without flying it but if its going to go back then at least it will be completely unused. Thanks for your input.

I've only flown it a bit at home and around the house because I broke my leg just before it was delivered

I had 300+ flights on the old one and really liked it as someone with almost 6 years of fpv experience but I had a few annoyances all of which are now fixed (and then some) so I'd definitely recommend the new one to anyone starting out or even to pros to add to their toolkit. Great choice for anyone of any age and any skill level imo!
4-28 09:43
Use props
player_87
lvl.2
Flight distance : 505548 ft
Ireland

Max Phlanx Posted at 4-28 06:23
Lol.

Max, if this is your first FPV drone then you can really forget about ND filters for now and relax.... You will need to get some experience first with the drone before you will be able to make a nice footage. Don't forget that you can always fly without ND filters and still make a pleasant video...motion blur can be added in post process if you really need it.  Anyway, as you have said... you fully intend to fly in full manual, so what I suggest is to practice in sim first before you will try to fly in manual.. It will take some time before you will be proficient enough to fly in a real life.. without crashing
4-28 16:31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Max Phlanx Posted at 4-28 06:13
Hello and thank you for your help here. Fingers crossed this will get rectified soon.

Thanks, we noticed our team has replied to your email, you can take a look. Sorry again for the inconvenience caused.
4-28 19:37
Use props
Fozando
Second Officer
Spain

Max Phlanx Posted at 4-28 06:16
Yes, but the very earliest they will be available is around the end of May in the UK unless I order direct from the US and pay the import duty and expensive postage. I am keeping an eye on eBay and Amazon though so maybe a set will pop up. Thank you for your suggestion.

Yes, but in my case I prefer to wait for them. You have 4 good quality filters for less $$$/€€€ than the DJI ones
4-29 00:33
Use props
Max Phlanx
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-28 19:37
Thanks, we noticed our team has replied to your email, you can take a look. Sorry again for the inconvenience caused.

This is what you consider help? I just received a refund for my ND filters, when I did not ask for them to be refunded. This is how DJI treat their customers?

I will be returning my drone back today

What a joke
4-29 00:44
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

player_87 Posted at 4-28 16:31
Max, if this is your first FPV drone then you can really forget about ND filters for now and relax.... You will need to get some experience first with the drone before you will be able to make a nice footage. Don't forget that you can always fly without ND filters and still make a pleasant video...motion blur can be added in post process if you really need it.  Anyway, as you have said... you fully intend to fly in full manual, so what I suggest is to practice in sim first before you will try to fly in manual.. It will take some time before you will be proficient enough to fly in a real life.. without crashing

Very sound advice - the only advantage to ND filters are to create motion blur and smooth out the image a little more on bright days by dialling in manual camera settings to create the 180 shutter rule but you are spot on in that the most important thing to do first is put it in the air and get use to flying it.
Improving image quality with ND's are down the list, especially on this drone turning to and from the sun in seconds which massively affects the EV variance in flight anyway. No point having perfect motion blur when crashing into a tree on your maiden flight. That said, ND filters are good to have and I recommend them but I wouldn't return the drone because I can't buy a set as yet.   I also don't think people realise how hard it is to fly in manual as the experts make it look so easy. The best anaology I have come across is to stand up, hold a rimless tray with both hands, have a ball placed on the tray and you have to stand there for 15 minutes making very minor constant adjustments to the tray to stop the ball from rolling off - if it does that's your Avata 2 going back to DJI for repairs or replacement! Of course, that doesn't include wearing goggles either while the tray is flying at over 40MPH through tight gaps!
4-29 00:54
Use props
Max Phlanx
lvl.2
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 4-29 00:54
Very sound advice - the only advantage to ND filters are to create motion blur and smooth out the image a little more on bright days by dialling in manual camera settings to create the 180 shutter rule but you are spot on in that the most important thing to do first is put it in the air and get use to flying it.
Improving image quality with ND's are down the list, especially on this drone turning to and from the sun in seconds which massively affects the EV variance in flight anyway. No point having perfect motion blur when crashing into a tree on your maiden flight. That said, ND filters are good to have and I recommend them but I wouldn't return the drone because I can't buy a set as yet.   I also don't think people realise how hard it is to fly in manual as the experts make it look so easy. The best anaology I have come across is to stand up, hold a rimless tray with both hands, have a ball placed on the tray and you have to stand there for 15 minutes making very minor constant adjustments to the tray to stop the ball from rolling off - if it does that's your Avata 2 going back to DJI for repairs or replacement! Of course, that doesn't include wearing goggles either while the tray is flying at over 40MPH through tight gaps!

I appreciate the advice but that is not the point here. The point here is that I made the purchase so I can use the drone to its full potential. I have had DJI drones for years and I never fly without filters. I made the order in good faith that DJI understands how the ordering system works. If an item is marked as in stock and then paid for then make it right. Do DJI seriously expect me to believe that they can not get hold of one set of their ND filters to make my order right?

I would not have made the purchase if the items I wanted were not listed as in stock.

Its not hard to understand my disappointment here, I was not the person selling items to customers that I did not have in my possession.

This has been a complete waste of my time and energy. I came on this forum to get help and DJI just refunded the ND filters without me asking for a refund! If this is what DJI support consider as help then they can keep it.

Sorry for the negative post but this experience has not been a pleasant one. Oh well one little pack of ND filters is beyond the capabilities of the whole of the DJI support division lol.

THREE MONTHS WAIT FOR ND FILTERS FOR A BRAND NEW DRONE. WELL DONE DJI
4-29 01:36
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Max Phlanx Posted at 4-29 01:36
I appreciate the advice but that is not the point here. The point here is that I made the purchase so I can use the drone to its full potential. I have had DJI drones for years and I never fly without filters. I made the order in good faith that DJI understands how the ordering system works. If an item is marked as in stock and then paid for then make it right. Do DJI seriously expect me to believe that they can not get hold of one set of their ND filters to make my order right?

I would not have made the purchase if the items I wanted were not listed as in stock.

I'll leave it between you and DJI to sort out but honestly, ND filters should be the least of your priorities if wishing to fly a cinewhoop in manual FPV for the first time. The average time spent learning acro in simulators is 35 solid hours+ before you even take it outside and the odds are that you will still crash. This is not like other DJI drones. If you are serious about going down this FPV route in the hobby you need to get conventionally designed GPS camera drones out of your head entirely - this is a completely different beast to fly in manual with a massive learning curve. The next batch of ND filters will probably be out for sale by the time you even know how to fly it manually anyway but I get your frustration at the product not being readily available at present to purchase but I personally wouldn't return what is a brilliant drone over it. Crack it open, start learning to fly to it now and get priority on the next batch of ND's for sale which I'm sure will be sooner then 3 months. All the best in whatever you decide.
4-29 01:59
Use props
player_87
lvl.2
Flight distance : 505548 ft
Ireland

A J Posted at 4-29 00:54
Very sound advice - the only advantage to ND filters are to create motion blur and smooth out the image a little more on bright days by dialling in manual camera settings to create the 180 shutter rule but you are spot on in that the most important thing to do first is put it in the air and get use to flying it.
Improving image quality with ND's are down the list, especially on this drone turning to and from the sun in seconds which massively affects the EV variance in flight anyway. No point having perfect motion blur when crashing into a tree on your maiden flight. That said, ND filters are good to have and I recommend them but I wouldn't return the drone because I can't buy a set as yet.   I also don't think people realise how hard it is to fly in manual as the experts make it look so easy. The best anaology I have come across is to stand up, hold a rimless tray with both hands, have a ball placed on the tray and you have to stand there for 15 minutes making very minor constant adjustments to the tray to stop the ball from rolling off - if it does that's your Avata 2 going back to DJI for repairs or replacement! Of course, that doesn't include wearing goggles either while the tray is flying at over 40MPH through tight gaps!

I agree with you AJ, there's so many factors that comes into play when flying an fpv drone, that ND filters should be down the list. I've got ND filters for avata 2, still packed.. I didnt even check them yet as I know that I will have to get a proper experience with the drone first. Funny thing is that the best footage that I've ever took from any drone was filmed without ND filter during golden hour

btw. Freewell ND filters are available to buy on their website, they should be available on amazon uk in 2 - 3 weeks time..
Dji Nd filters for avata2 are available through amazon UK with delivery set to 2nd of June.
In the worst case scenario ND filters will be availalable in a month time.
It is what it is. One month is usually not enough to get a proper experience in fpv manual mode, especialy in UK where winds are strong and you can't take your drone out for a spin when you want.
4-29 02:25
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

player_87 Posted at 4-29 02:25
I agree with you AJ, there's so many factors that comes into play when flying an fpv drone, that ND filters should be down the list. I've got ND filters for avata 2, still packed.. I didnt even check them yet as I know that I will have to get a proper experience with the drone first. Funny thing is that the best footage that I've ever took from any drone was filmed without ND filter during golden hour  

btw. Freewell ND filters are available to buy on their website, they should be available on amazon uk in 2 - 3 weeks time..

It's definitely a big learning curve. Good to know about stock lists but I was one of the lucky ones and got a set of DJI ND's delivered last week though everywhere is out of stock now. They make a difference but it's not exactly night and day - I'm more tuned into learning to fly it without crashing and having some fun while doing so.
4-29 02:29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Max Phlanx Posted at 4-29 00:44
This is what you consider help? I just received a refund for my ND filters, when I did not ask for them to be refunded. This is how DJI treat their customers?

We are sorry for the misunderstanding caused. Because you've mentioned sending the unit back, our email team may misundertood you. We noticed that our team has reply to your email regarding this issue, you can take a look.
4-30 05:13
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.2
Flight distance : 328632 ft
United States

Considering just a UV or CPL filter to protect the lens. Waste of money? Would either enhance the goggle view?

Just in from a late day session. First time I noticed a slight flare when flying at one specific angle ~45 degrees in a direction towards the sun. No issue. Just a momentary distraction. Nothing to hit at altitude.  But could be an issue when ground skimming. There is a set containing a UV and CPL filter from an AMZ seller. But unsure if you can attach the gimbal guard with the filter attached.  No response to that specific question. Also, leery of cheap, optically poor filters.  Any brands recommended that allow you to attach the gimbal guard without having to remove the filter and are decent optical quality. Too much junk at AMZ. One filter set notes Schotts glass.  But AMZ sellers can state anything.
4-30 15:33
Use props
Dirty Bird
First Officer
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Max Phlanx Posted at 4-29 00:44

It is not unusual that accessories for a brand new drone are in short supply, whether that be batteries, FPV controllers, or ND filters.  That is part of what goes along with being one of the first to own a new model.  In a couple of months accessories will become readily available.  As has been pointed out, ND filters are not necessary to enjoy the drone & record video.  If you are unwilling to accept this then by all means return the drone.  There is no need for a public tantrum.

Is there no one amongst us who will forfeit their ND filter set for Max?   
4-30 16:03
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-30 16:03
It is not unusual that accessories for a brand new drone are in short supply, whether that be batteries, FPV controllers, or ND filters.  That is part of what goes along with being one of the first to own a new model.  In a couple of months accessories will become readily available.  As has been pointed out, ND filters are not necessary to enjoy the drone & record video.  If you are unwilling to accept this then by all means return the drone.  There is no need for a public tantrum.

Is there no one amongst us who will forfeit their ND filter set for Max?

I’ll trade him an unused  DJI Avata 2ND Fillter Set for another Avata 2 Fly More Kit for my kid, if it’s that important to him
4-30 23:11
Use props
Fozando
Second Officer
Spain

Max Phlanx Posted at 4-29 01:36
I appreciate the advice but that is not the point here. The point here is that I made the purchase so I can use the drone to its full potential. I have had DJI drones for years and I never fly without filters. I made the order in good faith that DJI understands how the ordering system works. If an item is marked as in stock and then paid for then make it right. Do DJI seriously expect me to believe that they can not get hold of one set of their ND filters to make my order right?

Let's go for a Freewell 4 filters package. It is a better option than the DJI ones
5-1 02:00
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules