Is radiation a concern with the Goggles 3?
156 5 4-26 09:21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trwalp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9478 ft
  • >>>
United States

I will never forget seeing an experienced WISP installer avoid getting close to the transmit side of a CSM (the transmitter/receiver he installed on my roof). He said he considered it dangerous.

So since the Goggles 3 that come with an Avata 2 is a true controller, with a range of up to 8 miles, it would seem that it has a fairly high powered transmitter inside.  I understand that WiFi waves are a form of non-ionizing radiation, which is considered safe because the waves don't have enough energy to directly break apart atoms and molecules in your body. And usually WiFi is relatively "low power". But what about the tech DJI uses to control a drone over such a long distance. Is it still low power, non-ionizing radiation?

I'm not trying to stir up anything; just curious.

Note that this post comes after chatting with DJI support and asking if the Goggles 3 or the Motion Controller 3 control the Avata 2. I was told that the Goggles act as a relay to the Motion Controller 3, but the Goggles are the actual controller.  You know, like the handheld controller we are accustomed to.
4-26 09:21
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 915554 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

It wouldn't have been certified by various regional agencies for personal use if it wasn't safe.
4-26 09:33
Use props
anemone
lvl.2

United States

The frequencies and power output are listen on the specs page: https://www.dji.com/avata-2/specs. It's all pretty low power, 33dBm (2 watts) or less, about the same as a cell phone.
4-26 09:52
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If putting a mobile phone to your ear concerns you then Id steer clear of the goggles.
4-27 00:19
Use props
trwalp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9478 ft
  • >>>
United States

I did not express worry in my post, nor did I mention cell phones, microwave ovens, etc. My question stems purely from curiosity, not tin-foil-hat paranoia.

To my limited knowledge, RF producing goggles that you strap across your face, used snuggly over a good portion of your face (including both eyes), is a new thing. So per @DAFly's suggestion, maybe we should look at other devices that we hold close to our heads, albeit the side, over one ear: cell phones.  

Surely most of us have heard that "just to be safe, use your cell phone's speakerphone mode when possible", or use earbuds, OR at least don't press the darned thing right against your ear -- instead, hold it an inch away. This is all just conventional wisdom that's been passed around. So I Googled cell phone safety. Here are two links (out of many available) for anyone interested in the current position of organizations of note.  
Cancer.gov - Cell Phones and Cancer Risk
CDC - Cell Phones and your Health

Does this quote from the FCC contribute anything: "The FCC limit for public exposure from cell phones is 1.6 watts per kilogram (1.6 W/kg), and any cell phone at or below these levels is considered 'safe'." ?  I lack the expertise to compare that to DJI's specs (what's the per kg about?).  This quote (despite ~30 years of cellular use evidence) from the CDC's page is worth noting only because unlike cell phones these goggles are truly new: "We don't know for sure if RF radiation from cell phones can cause health problems years later."  Lastly, (and this is just random recall) I'd swear I read something recently, probably regarding WiFi but I can't be sure, about the relationship between distance and power used, specifically that a transmitter will crank up the gain as needed to maintain a good connection. I don't recall the context, but it makes sense, and it seems relevant to a device that must perform a task over a distance range of a few feet to 8 freaking miles while conserving battery drain.  These are the kinds of thoughts that, you know, come to mind at 3am. Everyone has them; it's their reaction that matters.

I've got no conclusion, except that Goggles for drone pilots are a ton of fun, plain and simple.
4-27 06:25
Use props
anemone
lvl.2

United States

The antennas on the goggles are further away from your head than those on a cellphone so if anything they would be safer than a cellphone (though both are likely safe). I would be more concerned (though not actually seriously concerned) about the health implications of having screens so close to your eyes since that is a much newer phenomenon than cellphones.
4-27 12:54
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules