Test results for RC signal LOSS while using IOC.
4740 73 2015-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-15 10:03
It would better go home most of the times, except  POI behind the object with RC lost

specially POI even behind the subject should not matter, the RTH height should be higher than any obstacle in the flight path, and therefore if rth is set correctly pre flight, then there would not be any danger in running into what one is filming.
2015-9-14
Use props
mostxclent
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49370 ft
United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-9-14 14:38
Ray, you left a third choice out of your poll.  I would prefer the bird finish the mission and then  ...

I too think there should be better options. A count for POI circuits would work so that you could actually complete a mission in POI. Another option would be brief loss of signal would not trigger an immediate return to home. Extended loss of signal greater than 30 seconds for example triggers an immediate RTH.
2015-9-14
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-15 03:27
my opinion is yes it should go home at any point rc signal is lost

Agreed, go home.....ET go home. (Damn, should had named my bird ET)
2015-9-14
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I agree with you Ray. it should go home at any point rc signal is lost

I will bring this up at my next team meeting. Maybe we can get it changed.

Dave
2015-9-14
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-15 12:31

I will bring this up at my n ...

yayyyy. Thank you for at least considering a suggestion.
2015-9-14
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

mostxclent Posted at 2015-9-15 10:18
I too think there should be better options. A count for POI circuits would work so that you could  ...

that is a good idea too!!
2015-9-14
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Yep, similar to what I was posting about on Saturday.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-30961-1-1.html

2015-9-15
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This "feature" of not following RTH rules when in intelligent navigation has been passed over to DJI as feedback and its what many have voiced an opinion on. Hopefully at a minimum, a choice will be given to the user in the future of what the P3 should do when it loses contact with the P3..

Oh and just to be clear on what happens. When a critical battery is reached it WILL land and there is nothing you can do about it ( regardless if you have water, sand, snow or old grannies and children below it ).. Just so Ray can avoid risking damage to his P3 testing it
2015-9-15
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-14 15:37
off course, that is why it is very important to know the whole area where one is flying. i encoura ...

To make sure I know the terrain I put together a little GIS application it will use aerial photography and NGS topographic quadrangle maps.   You can check the contour intervals for your home point elevation and also the terrain you are flying over.  If you start out in a valley type of area then might be entering a value too low.  For instance you might enter 100' as failsafe (just example) but there is a hilly area over part of the area you are flying that is 40' higher than your home point.  You thought 100' was safe to fly for all the trees in your area.  But that darn hill!  See it here.

2015-9-15
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-15 18:14
This "feature" of not following RTH rules when in intelligent navigation has been passed over to DJI ...

Thanks for the info, in that case I won't be doing the test then.
2015-9-15
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Rigworker Posted at 2015-9-14 16:43
Ray, I did mean RC signal loss as you were discussing in your original post. I think RTH would be t ...

But if you are in an 'RC signal loss' situation you can't do an RTH can you?
Bat
2015-9-15
Use props
Petr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 220141 ft
Kazakhstan

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-15 08:03
It would better go home most of the times, except  POI behind the object with RC lost

I agree with Ray that returning to home immediately would be the best in case of RC signal loss.
But in the case when the pilot really knows what he does and is ready to take some risk, there may be an option "Continue mission in case of RC signal loss".
Hovering and descending straight down when the battery is low looks more like a bug than an intended behavior...
2015-9-15
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-14 15:26
interesting part is when it hit low battery level it didnt do the normal thing which is to fly home, it just hovered and then landed once it hit critical. ...

You mean to say that when you reached 'Go home power limit reached' signal the system did not bring the bird back after 10 seconds.
If so that is bad.
Bat
2015-9-15
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

this imput from raykoni must merit a 5 STAR RATING from all of us sterling piece of fault testing
2015-9-15
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

capbat Posted at 2015-9-15 22:11
Bat

You cant, but the p3 initiates rth automatically. Not the case in ioc poi mode.
2015-9-15
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

capbat Posted at 2015-9-15 22:16
You mean to say that when you reached 'Go home power limit reached' signal the system did not brin ...

Correct, it just will keep circling til critical battery level is reached and then it lands. Dji are aware and am pretty sure they will make changes
2015-9-15
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2015-9-15 23:04
this imput from raykoni must merit a 5 STAR RATING from all of us sterling piece of fault testing

Thank you. But I test all the different aspects and see if there is a failure point. I don't want it dropping on someone or something and then cry about it to DJI, rather find out and share the info before hand
2015-9-15
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-14 22:31

Sweet! Thanks for your help!
2015-9-15
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-15 12:31

now if i could only get ed to propose at least a warning CSC sticker on the RC!
2015-9-15
Use props
hundleton1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I tested all falilsafe options and it was fed back to DJI by my self  that its not good the way it behaves on loss of signal,there was a LOT of talk over this on RCG on launch day, so far no response from DJI R&D sadly

In All modes it should RTH on loss of signal, on WP yes let it complete the mission then if no signal then RTH

POI should either Delay say 1m then RTH to allow it to go around and recover signal or RTH after one complete revolution of the subject.

2015-9-15
Use props
SteveD718
lvl.1

United States

if I had it my way it would RTH even if in the middle of waypoints when the battery reaches 30% or whatever you have it set to.  Signal loss should not trigger anything.
2015-9-15
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-14 23:31

Looking at the manual and quick start guide, it states that once you are in F-Mode Return To Home is not available.   So once you get up in the air and click that switch to F-Mode (as I read it) you are without Return to Home.  So while you are out setting your Way points and not actually flying the mission yet you are vulnerable?   This part is  confusing me because as you are setting way points you have not yet uploaded your data to the aircraft so it won't know if you said "hover" , "return to Home" etc.   

My worry here is what happens if you are in the middle of setting way points and you lose signal?  According to the manual we don't have RTH see attached image of portion of quick start manual.
FMode_Retun.jpg
2015-9-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-9-16 09:26
Looking at the manual and quick start guide, it states that once you are in F-Mode Return To Home i ...

That is a concern. I was going to say you could just switch out of F-mode. But you can't if you have no connection
2015-9-16
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-16 11:33
That is a concern. I was going to say you could just switch out of F-mode. But you can't if you hav ...

I guess my confusion was what would happen if signal loss before mission started would it return to home for the failsafe?
2015-9-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-9-16 09:37
I guess my confusion was what would happen if signal loss before mission started would it return t ...

I will look in this and get back to you guys here.
2015-9-16
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

capbat Posted at 2015-9-15 08:11
Bat

If you are in an RC signal loss the RTH is automatic.
2015-9-16
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-9-16 19:57
If you are in an RC signal loss the RTH is automatic.

Try that in the middle of a way point mission.   Or POI mission  F Mode does not have automatic RTH on Signal Loss see manual    see the following threads:

New F Modes and RTH

Test Results for Signal Loss with new firmware
2015-9-17
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-9-17 06:34
Try that in the middle of a way point mission.   Or POI mission  F Mode does not have automatic RT ...

Right, i forgot about the waypoint and POI missions and loss of signal. Not automatic in those cases.
2015-9-17
Use props
Specboy
lvl.1

United States

Couldn't vote (need an "Other" in the Poll)

My thoughts on the POI and RTH feature.
in POI, the P3 should know where it started it's POI Tour.  If the P3 achieves a full circle and arrives at it's initial location  but has no signal, it should RTH.  In theory, if you are flying around a building or other structure (Let's take Devil's Tower for Example) and lose signal, the P3 should continue on it's POI Tour until it gets back to it's starting position at which point it should have regained connectivity.  If there is no connectivity at that point, it should Return to home.  Theory being that you were in direct line of site of the P3 when it began the POI tour around the object, you should still be there when it gets back to the starting point unless there is a problem, then it should Return home.  If the P3 regains Connectivity as it reaches it's starting position, it should continue on the POI Tour and should do this "loss of signal check" every time it gets to it's starting position.

~SB
2015-9-26
Use props
angelpilot4u
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199826 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

Regarding the POI, I think the choice of maintaining its circle in a fair compromise. You can a circle for example and the flight would take the P3 along a course where you would lose the signal momentarily because of the distance or objects blocking the reception, and you would regain the signal as the circle completes and the aircraft is getting closer to the RC again. I feel that most lost of the no signal would fit in that scenario. It is in some ways a return home situation except it's following a circle. The thing that puzzles me though is when you program you POI there a return home altitude reminder, if it was put there that would mean that it can be triggered in some situations, but how? Maybe only triggered by the battery alarm ?

2016-1-18
Use props
Yeager74
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Good afternoon,

Many thanks to you guys, who used you own equipment to test these issues out.

Could somebody please confirm that the Phantom 3, RTH failsafe mode (lost RC signal), also while in F-mode (eg. POI, waypoint etc.), will now have the plane RTH after 3 seconds of RC signal loss?? Many thanks.

Cheers,
Claus
2016-1-19
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I would say - keep it as it is or let the user choose.

Flying around a building is not possible any more when you activate RTH when RC lost (in waypoint modes)

@Yeager, in waypoints modes it will finish the mission - also with RC lost. (fine for me ;-)

2016-1-19
Use props
lakesentrance.c
lvl.1

Australia

yep, i'm all for continuing the waypoint mission with or without RC connection. I've flown several missions deliberately and lost RC connection. It just continues the mission and comes back to the final waypoint.

Battery failure is a different scenario than just losing RC because of distance or objects.

I've not played with POI on it's own so can't comment on the crazy continuous circling. Not good in my opinion.
2016-5-8
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for making us aware of this, it's good to be aware of these caveats so we can fly accordingly and hopefully avoid such situations, or be ready to deal with them accordingly. RTH would get my vote.
2016-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules