Mini 4 Pro getting slower to boot up with every new FW update
377 12 5-8 03:59
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steph Jant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274062 ft
United Kingdom

A number of YouTube influencers have reported very slow boot up times for their Mini 4 Pro with the RC2 controller. I have noticed this as well and I believe it’s related to the firmware updates, and in particular the new features that have been added to the RC2.

When this drone was first released last year, I was astonished at how quick it was to be ready to fly. It took between 20 and 30 seconds to boot up both the controller and drone, for them to become connected and then get satellite connectivity. Over the last few days, I have done a number of time tests, and they have ranged in duration from 54 seconds to 2 1/2 minutes. This is extremely slow and frankly unacceptable compared to how quick things were last year.

To get the drone ready to fly with the home point updated in just 54 seconds I first booted up the RC2 and on average that took 25 seconds. It then took on average another 20 seconds for the drone to boot up and get connected to the controller, and then another 10 seconds to get satellite connectivity. However, in one of the tests I did satellite connectivity took 90 seconds.

I also did a test where I powered on the drone and RC2 at the same time. It took well over a minute before the drone was ready to fly, and there was a period of about 30 seconds when the RC2 screen was just blank.

I have been having an email conversation with DJI technical support and they keep telling me the slow boot up time is normal which in my opinion is hogwash given how fast things were before all the firmware updates.  But they would say that, wouldn’t they?

Has anyone else noticed how slow this drone and it’s controller are taking to boot up and get connected?
5-8 03:59
Use props
caromuffa
lvl.2

Italy

I observed the same issue. After clearing the cache memory, I noticed a slight improvement as the boot time was reduced
5-8 04:07
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

caromuffa Posted at 5-8 04:07
I observed the same issue. After clearing the cache memory, I noticed a slight improvement as the boot time was reduced

Thanks I’ll try that
5-8 04:39
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. We will coordinate this with our relevant team for further clarification. I will keep you posted.
5-8 23:43
Use props
MiniManiac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1226368 ft
United Kingdom

Not sure DJI actually care enough to fix an issue like this, as with all issues they simply say we will look at it and get back to you, in the meantime users get more an more unhappy with the equipment they paid a lot of money for.
5-9 03:57
Use props
MiniManiac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1226368 ft
United Kingdom

Just took delivery of a new Mini 4 pro with RC2 and it wanted a FW update at first power on, however mine boots up in about 20 seconds, I will monitor this over time
5-10 05:30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for patiently waiting. Firmware upgrade has nothing to do with the aircraft startup speed. When the drone is powered on again after powering off for a long period (cold boot), the signal searching speed will be slow. It is recommended to connect your mobile device or remote controller with a built-in screen to the network and then search for signals again. In this case, the signal searching speed will be improved. Also, when the Internet is connected, the drone system will quickly obtain real-time ephemeris data through the Internet. After a drone has been disabled for more than 40 minutes, the previously stored ephemeris data will become invalid.
5-12 00:27
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-12 00:27
Thank you for patiently waiting. Firmware upgrade has nothing to do with the aircraft startup speed. When the drone is powered on again after powering off for a long period (cold boot), the signal searching speed will be slow. It is recommended to connect your mobile device or remote controller with a built-in screen to the network and then search for signals again. In this case, the signal searching speed will be improved. Also, when the Internet is connected, the drone system will quickly obtain real-time ephemeris data through the Internet. After a drone has been disabled for more than 40 minutes, the previously stored ephemeris data will become invalid.

What does this have to do with the fact that the RC 2 started loading slower after the firmware update??? There are several topics and videos about this.
5-12 00:55
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI have just released a new update for the RC2 Fly App and I can report that boot up time is now a lot faster - about 17 seconds faster.

A few weeks ago I contacted DJI support and they told me the boot up speeds I had been seeing were normal. So on average, it was taking 45 seconds for the RC2 and drone to boot up and get connected (if turned on at the same time) - but this did not include satellite connectivity. With the new RC2 Fly App update it’s taking about 28 seconds for the RC2 and drone to boot up and get connected - so a saving of around 17 seconds.  

It’s interesting that DJI told me a few weeks ago the long boot up time was “normal” - and yet miraculously everything is now much much faster. Mustn’t grumble though. Thanks DJI for the RC2 update!!
5-28 23:28
Use props
The Ollie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116362 ft
Germany

Steph Jant Posted at 5-28 23:28
DJI have just released a new FW update for the RC2 and I can report that boot up time is now a lot faster - about 17 seconds faster.

A few weeks ago I contacted DJI support and they told me the boot up speeds I had been seeing were normal. So on average, it was taking 45 seconds for the RC2 and drone to boot up and get connected (if turned on at the same time) - but this did not include satellite connectivity. With the new RC2 FW update it’s taking about 28 seconds for the RC2 and drone to boot up and get connected - so a saving of around 17 seconds.  

I don't know if you know anything about software development, but sometimes a few things come together that make it difficult to identify a performance error. This can be due to non-optimized code, timing, task displacement effects and much more.
I understand that DJI doesn't make any promises in advance, but maybe a little more transparency would be good: There is an issue and they are working on it :-)
In this case they found the error and corrected it - thank you DJI!

As for other errors or "peculiarities", I think that the forum admins are not well connected with development. They report errors to R&D but it is also clear that nothing will come from them until it has been resolved. I know this from other companies and it also makes sense if R&D takes care of code and not reporting.
5-28 23:45
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

Steph Jant Posted at 5-28 23:28
DJI have just released a new FW update for the RC2 and I can report that boot up time is now a lot faster - about 17 seconds faster.

A few weeks ago I contacted DJI support and they told me the boot up speeds I had been seeing were normal. So on average, it was taking 45 seconds for the RC2 and drone to boot up and get connected (if turned on at the same time) - but this did not include satellite connectivity. With the new RC2 FW update it’s taking about 28 seconds for the RC2 and drone to boot up and get connected - so a saving of around 17 seconds.  

DJI have just released a new FW update for the RC2

This is not a firmware update, this is an update to the Fly application
5-29 00:01
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Serg SSA Posted at 5-29 00:01
DJI have just released a new FW update for the RC2

This is not a firmware update, this is an update to the Fly application

Thank you for correcting me - I have edited my original post. But returning to the positive aspect of my post, boot up time is now much faster (irrespective of whether it’s a FW or Fly App update).  Thanks DJI
5-29 00:10
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

Steph Jant Posted at 5-29 00:10
Thank you for correcting me - I have edited my original post. But returning to the positive aspect of my post, boot up time is now much faster (irrespective of whether it’s a FW or Fly App update).  Thanks DJI

I wouldn't say thank you to DJI, I got a problem...
I have a similar problem, the remote control updates the application, but then again reports the presence of a new application and again offers to update. Fly version remains 1.13.0
When I try to log into my Profile I get a gray screen and no response. DJI, have you fixed some errors and added others? !!!
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =311335&pid=3328628

P.S.
I had to do a complete reset of the device, after which the update was successful.
5-29 00:51
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules