Left controller on while inside case
1558 14 2015-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

The other day I accidentally left my controller on after I put it back inside of my case. I didn't realize that I had done that until the next day when I found that the battery was completely dead on the controller. Hopefully I didn't damage the controller battery. Has anyone else ever done this?
2015-9-14
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

You should be fine, Ive heard stories of controllers becoming slightly warm if left on for extended periods of time but throw it back on the charger and you should be all good
2015-9-14
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

it should have switched off after 5 mins of no activity or signal to the P3. is something preing on the sticks or any of the controls? because it then senses activity and wont switch off even though there is no connection to P3
2015-9-14
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-15 00:46
it should have switched off after 5 mins of no activity or signal to the P3. is something preing on  ...

Yes, likely so. I lengthened my sticks a little bit, plus I have some of those rubber control stick knobs on as well. Pretty good chance that one of my sticks could have been pushed off center inside of the case.
2015-9-14
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

toddf.perkins@g Posted at 2015-9-15 13:50
Yes, likely so. I lengthened my sticks a little bit, plus I have some of those rubber control stic ...

i am betting that is it. so either make sure rc is off before packing it away or its going to keep running out of juice, or shorten sticks and take off the thumb thingy magigs. probably easier to double check b4 storing it away., lol
good luck
2015-9-14
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

No biggie if the battery is dead you can change them.
2015-9-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

That happens... it's not dangerous for your RC battery. Charge it and you ready to fly again
2015-9-14
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

This should make you feel a little better.

Most lithium polymer batteries used today have a protection circuit that shuts them down once the voltage drops below a 3 volt threshold. So in your case, it's going to take a bit longer to recharge the battery, but all should be well.

Now that you know that your control levers can and do make contact with the inside of the case, you might want to use a Dremel tool to remove some of the foam from that area.
2015-9-15
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

Thanks everyone.. Good advice.. I'm going to shorten my sticks first and see if that helps. Thank you
2015-9-15
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

I did some testing on battery drainage a while ago
As you can see, the transmitter shut off with about 7% left in the battery.
So no harm done to yours.
test-batteries.JPG
2015-9-15
Use props
adrianshawuk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I did the same thing. I put my controller away and was driving home when I heard a beeping coming from the case it was in.
I assumed it had set off a beeper to let me know the power was on but there was no connection to anything.
Has anyone else come across this ?
2015-9-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The radio should beep after a defined period of inactivity.
Mine does this, if I am messing around in the App, but not touching any radio controls or the thumb sticks.
Some of the better quality RC radios can have those alarm parameters adjusted.
Louder~softer, longer inactivity intervals. . . Even VIBRATION!! My Spectrum DX8 vibrates.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-15
Use props
adrianshawuk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-16 02:42
The radio should beep after a defined period of inactivity.
Mine does this, if I am messing around  ...

Cool, thanks for the info
2015-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

A simple way to know that you shut down the Phantom 3 and or your radio controller, is to simply double click and hold for three seconds.
It takes some fore thought and minuscule effort, but well worth the energy expended. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-9-20
Use props
L8again
lvl.3

Canada

toddf.perkins@g Posted at 2015-9-15 09:50
Thanks everyone.. Good advice.. I'm going to shorten my sticks first and see if that helps. Thank yo ...

Not sure you have to shorten the sticks, but maybe do up a checklist and attach to the outside of you case?
2015-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules