X5 Lenses: DJI 15mm vs LUMIX 15mm
19602 13 2015-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adamdevincent
lvl.1

United States

Just wondering if anyone has any additional details on the DJI 15mm lens.  It seems identical in every way to the Panasonic Lumix 15mm in specs as well as appearance, aside from the DJI logo.  I am trying to decide between the two, and the LUMIX is currently $50 cheaper, but if there is some benefit to the DJI lens that doesn't come across in the specs I would love to know what it is before I pull the trigger.

DJI.jpg
2015-9-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

even though they have same specs and the weight, but the center of mass could be different, and give a bad influence on gimbal,  so we don't recommend to use Lumix lens on X5 camera
2015-9-14
Use props
tbuining
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-15 09:00
even though they have same specs and the weight, but the center of mass could be different, and give ...

DJI says:

Three lenses you can use.
DJI own lens. Olympus M Zuiko Digital ED 12 mm f. 2.0.
And the Panasonic Lumix 15 mm G Leica DG Summilux f. 1.7 ASPH Lens.

Is the Panasonic/Leica onother one, then where adamde vincent is talking about?

Otherwise i don 't understand.
2015-9-15
Use props
TheAdam
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the reply Tim. Appologies if the graphic in my original post isn't clear, but the lens on the left (the Leica Summiliux) is the Panasonic Lumix listed on your site, which appears to be identical to the DJI lens (shown without the lens hood on the DJI website).
That being said, are you saying there is a definite benefit to the DJI lens over the Panasonic lens listed on the DJI site:
Lenses.png

Thanks again!
2015-9-15
Use props
tbuining
lvl.2

Netherlands

TheAdam Posted at 2015-9-15 18:00
Thanks for the reply Tim. Appologies if the graphic in my original post isn't clear, but the lens on ...

I still don 't know or you can use the Leica / Panasonic.

DJI Tim says: There is a differance". But DJI (The company says): Its compatable.

I own already a Panasonic / Leica. 15 mm f.1.7

Wil he work with the X5?

Or is the Original DJI lens, much better.
2015-9-19
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

Carl Zeiss lens and Leica lens, are one of the best lens in the market.
There are Panasonic lens, and Panasonic lens with Leica optics (The best).
There are Sony lens, and Sony lens with Carl Zeiss optics (The best).
I don't know what type of optical is mounted on the Dji lens.
2015-9-19
Use props
tbuining
lvl.2

Netherlands

Bullflyer Posted at 2015-9-20 01:57
Carl Zeiss lens and Leica lens, are one of the best lens in the market.
There are Panasonic lens, an ...

@ Bullflyer

I asked DJI Tim, please tell me what are the differances between the Panasonic/Leica and the DJI lens.
Knowing Leica + Zeiss, like you say, are the best in in the market.
But they have to work on/with the X5 100%.

DJI Tim says: The specs are the same, but there is a differance. Especcialy in Weight.
And the Gimbal might work not 100%. Or do i understand that wrong.

My question is: Does the Panasonic/Leica work on a X5. DJI (company) say 's Yes.
(See the choise of the 3 lenses together with the X5)
DJI Tim says, Yes but, DJI's own lens is a better choise.
I should know ..... why.

Might be, the DJI lens comes from Leica opr Zeiss to. I should like to know that to.

I think (am really sure) DJI will not make his own lenses.

DJI Tim, please explain
2015-9-20
Use props
tbuining
lvl.2

Netherlands

even though they have same specs and the weight, but the center of mass could be different, and give ...

Please answer DJI Tim

Thanks.
2015-9-21
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Given that making lenses is kinda hard and that DJI has no pedigree for this work it wouldn't be surprising at all if the DJI lens was either a rebadge or a reverse engineering of the Leica.

That said, what Tim is saying is correct - if there is any centre of mass difference on the lenses the gimbal won't stabilize properly (or worse: it'll look like it's stable on the ground but will jitter in the air when it's actually trying to stabilize against wind forces, inertia, etc).

The X5 is specifically listed as being able to read the lens brand via the MFT connector and adjust the PID's on the motors accordingly (which isn't really ideal for a gimbal given that physical balance is always the most important issue). Perhaps DJI will broaden the lens list as time goes on.

What I'm wondering is which lens actually balances perfectly on the X5 without power being applied?
2015-9-21
Use props
tbuining
lvl.2

Netherlands

That's exact, @ Simple Panda, why i am waiting on an answer from DJI Tim.

And 2 days later it still is not theire.
2015-9-21
Use props
tbuining
lvl.2

Netherlands

Please DJI Tim.

Give an answer.
2015-9-25
Use props
jzier139
lvl.1

United States

I own both the Inspire 1 Pro and the LUMIX GH4, which is also MFT. Could anyone tell me why, when the DJI lens is mounted to the GH4, it can not be stopped down below f/2.2 despite being a f/1.7 lens.non the X5, of course stopping down to f/1.7 is obtainable. Like other member have indicated, the lens specs are identical. Am I missing something?
2015-12-31
Use props
fans76f284be
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578871 ft
United States

Resurrecting this old thread with some info as I have the Panasonic 15mm lens and just got the Osmo Pro in.
The Osmo Pro manual states that the DJI lens hood and weight should be used on both the DJI and Panasonic 15mm lenses. The Panasonic actually comes with its own lens hood which looks like a nicer aluminum compared to the plastic DJI one. Since balance is important with these accessories I measured all components with a milligram scale and this is what I found:

dji lens weight filter: 9.735g
panasonic metal lens hood: 19.761g
dji plastic lens hood: 16.182g
dji lens hood + weight: 25.917g
panasonic metal lens hood + weight: 29.496g

So it appears using the panasonic lens hood will make the front-end about 3.5 grams heavier. Since the x5 came with the lens hood (even with the no-lens package) I'm going to default to using the DJI lens hood. If I find balance issues i'll try the panasonic one.

One thing worth mentioning is the Panasonic lens hood comes with a rubbery cover that acts as a lens cap when hood is on. The DJI one does not. The Panasonic lens hood cap does not fit on the DJI hood as the latter is a tiny bit more wide.
2017-1-5
Use props
fans76f284be
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578871 ft
United States

Another update on the Panasonic: I haven't tested with the camera on yet but when the camera is off with no lens hood its obviously unbalanced, tipping to face up. With either the DJI or Panasonic lens hood on it appears very close to perfectly balanced with the lens pointing in any direction you put it and barely moving if at all. If anything it appears with the DJI hood the lens tips up a hair at certain angles (back heavy) and the panasonic one the lens tips forward a hair at certain angles (front heavy). My guess would be either are close enough to balanced on the panasonic with power on to be neglible which one you use. But with some use Ill find out for sure
2017-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules