Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Avata 2 Signal Strength somehow disappointing
556 9 5-20 04:11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flojo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42175 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Hello everyone.

So far I am enjoying the Avata 2 very much, but one thing bothers me and that is the signal strength. I was expecting the O4 System to be better than my Mavic 3 Pro Cine with its 03 System, but so far I can not confirm this. Acutally it is the opposite in my case.

I was flying on a cliff today, no people, no other signals, so optimal conditions. I somehow can only fly and get a good and clear signal when flying in visual sight, wihout any obsticals. As soon as I fly behind a 10m x 10m rock (about 150meters away), the signal is almost gone. When I fly the same route (I even did it 15 minutes later to have the same conditions) with my Mavic 3 Pro Cine, the signal remains clear. I can even fly a few meters above see level with my Mavic 3 Pro Cine when I stand on top of the cliff not in visual sight. With the Avata 2 it seems that is not possible. The antennas of the googles were of course folded up and I was facing in the direction of the drone.

I am in Europe and I know that here the signal is restricted to CE Mode, which is worse then FCC, but still, is the CE Signal so weak that I can not fly behind one abstacle? I wonder how it will work indoors (never tried it yet)

Do I have a faulty drone, or faulty googles or is it just normal in CE Mode?

Thanks for everyone's help!

5-20 04:11
Use props
FLY QUADS TV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 861549 ft
South Korea

Well, I experienced the same situation with my Dji fpv. When I flew my Dji fpv with controller 2, goggles v2, the maximum ce range was so short-I could only fly 300 meters over the beach(without obstacles)! So, I did fcc download to my drone in order to increase my drone range.
The free fcc version of dji avata 2 is not released on beyond yet, so you have to wait or pay 40 euros to unlock dji avata 2 fcc mods.
You can buy fcc mode on: https://drone-hacks.com/#hacks
5-21 00:51
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89751 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

just put the HAM file on the sd card of the goggles...
this will help ;)
5-21 04:13
Use props
zappy49
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482260 ft
United Kingdom

FLY QUADS TV Posted at 5-21 00:51
Well, I experienced the same situation with my Dji fpv. When I flew my Dji fpv with controller 2, goggles v2, the maximum ce range was so short-I could only fly 300 meters over the beach(without obstacles)! So, I did fcc download to my drone in order to increase my drone range.
The free fcc version of dji avata 2 is not released on beyond yet, so you have to wait or pay 40 euros to unlock dji avata 2 fcc mods.
You can buy fcc mode on: https://drone-hacks.com/#hacks

or this one lets you change channels.https://www.drone-tweaks.com/drones/dji-avata-2
5-21 06:43
Use props
flojo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42175 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

@Fly Quads TV, @ BadBert, @ zappy49 thank you all for the info and the suggestions. I will look into it. On the other hand, it is a little bit sad, that we almost have to use a workaround to achieve the same signal strength as with a Mavic 3 Pro, especially when the Avata 2 has the new O4 System. Is it in FCC mode then better than a Mavic 3 Pro? Otherwise, what is the point of a new transmission system, when the older one performs better?

Also, you all suggest the workaround, does that mean that the signal strength of my drone/googles is normal in CE Mode and not a warranty issue? Did you or people you know experience the same weak signal in CE Mode?

5-22 01:45
Use props
GTHero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1832372 ft
Australia

I have the advantage of living in an FCC country, but my experience with the first Avata's signal strength is underwhelming.  I also fly a P4P v2, which uses OcuSync 2.0, two generations behind the Avata's OcuSync 3.0+.  But there seems to be very little difference in where I can fly either of these drones, at least at relatively close quarters - with obstacles between the controller and the drone.  Distance-wise, you can't compare the two drones because the Avata's range is limited by the battery.

I think it might be a frequency issue.  I believe (but am not certain) that the control signal is locked to 5.8GHz, whereas the image signal automatically switches between 2.4 & 5.8Ghz.  If this is the case, then 5.8Ghz will often-times be the weak link.
5-22 18:23
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 40085869 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Mavic 3 so far had a Best signal I ever saw with DJI drones, so You observed well - but if You like to compare - compare Avata1 with Avata 2 and then You'll see advantages of O4
5-22 20:14
Use props
djiuser_7zLBTuOdTC2c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 452917 ft
United States

I have the Avata 2 and the FPV drone. I am at the point now that I am doing more searching and watching of other videos then enjoying my new drone. I love my FPV and the signal straight as well . I have the Avata for close and tight places that I can't use my FPV. The problem that is coming up is the FPV has better range. I don't understand how or why it is this way but it is. This new Avata 2 range sucks yes it has all the bells but they are not worth hearing.im in the US FCC region so signal strength should not be a problem but it is. Did I get a bad drone or have I been mislead.
5-22 20:51
Use props
djiuser_HTPNSTDIEA1c
New
United States

I feel the same way. I got the Avata 2 and I was expecting something better with the 04 system as well but it's actually worse. I'm even using the FCC hack and still can't get any range. I'm very disappointed in this and I hope there is a way to fix it. I feel like returning this thing because I feel like I've been ripped off.
5-23 06:17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, flojo. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. Referring to your description, a 10m x 10m rock will influence the signal, this is normal, and this will block the image transmission, sorry for the inconvenience, for image transmission, the biggest effect factor will be obstacle occlusion. Moreover, different aircraft models will have different performances, which means we cannot compare them on specific functions and usage situations.
5-28 07:54
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules