First Conviction in UK for Drone Flying
1182 7 2015-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gary.masson
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Man Convicted for Drone Flying

Apologies if this has already been posted.  This is the first one over here I am aware of.  Seems as if he was warned previously by police. Still a bit of a concern thogh...these fines are not cheap!

I try and fly as responsibly as I can but it seems as though rules change everyday now.
2015-9-15
Use props
adrianshawuk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

What an idiot. I could sort of understand being warned the first time, but to ignore that warning and do it several times again is just stupid.

He got what he deserved I'm afraid
2015-9-15
Use props
gary.masson
lvl.3
United Kingdom

adrianshawuk Posted at 2015-9-15 18:58
What an idiot. I could sort of understand being warned the first time, but to ignore that warning an ...

As always, it is the bad publicity and knock on effect which concerns me.  
2015-9-15
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

I've just heard this item on BBC news just now and feel sad. I understand the CAA wanting to respond to public concerns and imposing certain restrictions to ensure public safety. But, I think they need to do more, this particular hobby is 'taking off' like never before (excuse the pun). I would suggest that they offer appropriate training courses / qualifications that are specific to quadcopter flight and ability to enable skilled operators to feel confident to fly and others also.
2015-9-15
Use props
ianbradbury34
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218435 ft
Malta

"At each and every one of these places an accident could have occurred simply by a gust of wind ..."

Shows how much the court understands todays drones.

"flew them within 150 metres of congested areas, or within 50 metres of buildings"

Well, if he did that, he deserves everything he gets, no?

"great risks to public safety and security and Wilson put many people in real danger."

Much greater danger than ...oh, I don't know....crossing a road...?
2015-9-15
Use props
agrewe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Not the first conviction as far as I know. Unfortunately don't have a link to hand, but there was an earlier one who flew dangerously low over a bridge (or two) and if memory serves me right crashed afterwards. Think his fine was much less, but then that was a one-off event and he hadn't been warned before like this idiot.
2015-9-15
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-16 02:21
I've just heard this item on BBC news just now and feel sad. I understand the CAA wanting to respond ...

You can't train stupid...
2015-9-15
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

There are a number very good companies offering flight school useful for the beginner, and three? approved for attaining a licence to do commercial work CAA approoved
2015-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules