123Next >
19269 86 2015-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-19 17:03
It was just a question with no intention to cause you anger! From this side of the table it just l ...

Now, back to antenna discussions.
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-9-19 17:21
Chip I posted before I read all of the posts. Your savior's are listed above..

Rodger, thanks for taking time to help and provide additional information. Lets me know you agree with the going narrative... validation is good.
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

<duplicate post> delete if possible
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

rusty Posted at 2015-9-15 16:34
Seems DJI should make this right...this is probably not the answer but would the DBS mod work for th ...

DJI basically told me to either buy a new tx or work it out on my own, because opening the case voided the warranty.

DJI made a business call I didn't like, but I'm not spending energy raging against them. Now it's up to me. Onward.
2015-9-19
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-9-20 04:33
Chip.robie,

Looks like you discovered sloppy assembly from DJI.  The small connector is indeed a U. ...

Hey Fulgerite! I am operating on the condition that this is a "P2V+" revamped with motors and the "go" App. I had this setup on one last year and got stunning results. I also got great results with a Flat panel. The only slight drawback I ran into was when I was almost a mile out. I would have to take a great deal of care to "aim" the remote and not get lazy and drift with it. I talked to Chip some more and advised to try a cheapie 9db omni first as it might be more than perfect for him. The really cool thing about this setup is that you can also mod the rx with some RHCPs in much the same process with the sma plugs and even push it further. It's all about the results when you get started. Thanks for your input! That's what this forum is about. People helping people.
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-19 14:43
I hope to god you get this fixed, what a bummer this happens to you, those mcx connectors are the w ...

Willie Wonka thank you. Your hi res picture of the U.FL connector shows me why the hobby shop repair isn't working. The crimp area on their connector touches the wire conductor of the coax cable. The crimp metal is part of the U.FL connector outer housing, which should be ground. That's not going to work. The clamp area of the connector should be closing on insulated exterior. Learning point.
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-19 18:40
Hey Fulgerite! I am operating on the condition that this is a "P2V+" revamped with motors and the  ...

I have to say after poring over the insides of the P3S controller box and then watching a few videos of antenna and wifi extender upgrades for the P2Vision+, I see exactly what Jim says.

The P2Vision+ has the wifi antennas and circuit board in a little plastic case outside the controller. The P3S controller looks the same from the outside from what I've seen. Inside the controller the P3S has a gimbal controller that the P2Vision+ controller does not have. The P3S controller has the FPV circuit board piggybacked on top of the main board, right over the 5.8 UFL connection. The two FPV patch antennas sit upright inside the controller case. The P3S has a rechargeable battery and a microUSB charge interface.

Outside of the new features, the rest looks the same, just moved around a little. It's not a hard argument to make that the P3S controllers inherit most of their components from the P2Vision+ controllers.

2.4 FPV patch antennas and the 5.8 tx antenna use the same size coax cable and u.fl connectors, so might as well go ahead do three pigtails.  5.8 tx will go out the OEM antenna opening. 2 more RP-SMA connectors out of the controller body on both sides of the tx antenna for the 2.4 GHz FPV antennas.

2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-15 16:27
I understand that. Still I can fly over 1,000 m with mine. Some people are getting only a few hund ...

Mine pretty much acts like a bird with a broken 5.8 antenna connection. Attempts to refit the UFL connector were silly and pointless. A pigtail replacement is the way to go.
2015-9-19
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-20 05:33
It sure came across like a troll comment. No information value, no help.
You know, in my book, "M ...

you are way too intelligent for me to deal with, so i wish you well. have a good day
2015-9-19
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

EDITED:

Asked for confirmation that the P3S flight control tx is 5.8 GHz and the P3S FPV is 2.4 GHz. The answer is yes.
2015-9-19
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-19 17:35
Rodger, that's 100% OK and I sure appreciate you taking time to help and provide additional inform ...

Sure, not a problem. I knew I had looked at Posts from other members that did Antenna upgrades on the forum. You have the right sources above. I think DJI washed their hands to it because it could be an ongoing issue after they repaired it. Also they may outsource the Boards?
2015-9-20
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-20 13:50
is this correct? the P3S uses 5.8 gHz for tx control and 2.4 gHz for wifi rx? I think that was the c ...

Wifi (FPV) works on 2.4 and the transmitter(flight control) works on 5.8. If you pair a RHCP antenna on the transmitter(flight controller) with some RHCPs on the bird (there were 2 antennas on the stock receiver that I replaced on my old P2V+), you will have the best match increasing range potential without actual boosting with amplifiers possible. It takes the same connectors that you are currently going to be using with your other mods and is fairly easy to locate in the phantom with the top removed.
2015-9-20
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-9-20 10:43
Sure, not a problem. I knew I had looked at Posts from other members that did Antenna upgrades on  ...

"I think DJI washed their hands to it because it could be an ongoing issue after they repaired it."

DJI made a business call. In fairness, I could have been responsible for the disconnection while I was fiddling the clamshell apart. Don't think so, but, it could have happened, time to move past. No more crying.
2015-9-21
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-20 13:35
Wifi (FPV) works on 2.4 and the transmitter(flight control) works on 5.8. If you pair a RHCP antenn ...

Thanks, Jim for confirming this.

After I get my bird back to OEM or better flight specs I need to spend some time in the air, nearby, learning more about piloting. Then maybe I will have more of the distance bug.

Until then, cheap omnidirectional router antennas can still give me modest gains over OEM performance, just not to the moon, right?

Amazon will deliver an assortment of relatively inexpensive 2.4 and 5.8 gHz whip and panel antennas, with advertised gains from around 5 to 10 dba.

Thanks for the guidance and validation so far, folks. Really appreciate it.

2015-9-21
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-21 12:53
Thanks Jim for confirming this. I'm sure you mentioned it during our phone call but my brain was f ...

Yes sir. Send away. Any 6-9db antennas should work wonderfully. I have read that even the 5.8s work on the 2.4s so it's not critical.
2015-9-21
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-21 13:01
Yes sir. Send away. Any 6-9db antennas should work wonderfully. I have read that even the 5.8s wor ...

The omnidirectional stuff is pretty affordable. I've ordered an assortment of linear antennas to experiment with in that range.
Thanks again for the sharing of knowledge and direction.
2015-9-21
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

At my experience level I am very happy with LOS and near distances in rural settings, I'll probably see more immediate utility putting cheap router omnidirectionals on the controller...
2015-9-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-21 12:18
"I think DJI washed their hands to it because it could be an ongoing issue after they repaired it. ...

I am old also and would probably have the same attitude, that is after a couple of Brews.

I feel that they are a great company with growing pains. I have only used DJI products from the beginning. I have my ups and downs and the issue was mainly at my end.

I intend to stick with them and learn with them. I have helped some people on the forum and some have helped me.

I would hate to see you give up. It is a great flying Quad and very simple. It also has many safety features which come with time and experience.

When one moves as many Quads as DJI, there will be a burp along the way.

That's life.

Good luck and press on.

Rodger
2015-9-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-21 12:18
"I think DJI washed their hands to it because it could be an ongoing issue after they repaired it. ...

I am old also and would probably have the same attitude, that is after a couple of Brews.

I feel that they are a great company with growing pains. I have only used DJI products from the beginning. I have my ups and downs and the issue was mainly at my end.

I intend to stick with them and learn with them. I have helped some people on the forum and some have helped me.

I would hate to see you give up. It is a great flying Quad and very simple. It also has many safety features which come with time and experience.

When one moves as many Quads as DJI, there will be a burp along the way.

That's life.

Good luck and press on.

Rodger
2015-9-21
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

Controller is back together with RP-SMA connectors. Did the pigtail mod on all 3 antennas. Left the OEM patch antennas intact in the clamshell.

So, the original problem of the thread... broken P3S antenna cable, should be fixed.

I can go crazy experimenting with all sorts of plug and play high gain antenna combinations without cracking the controller shell open again.  With this setup I can accommodate a lot of options from pure custom to the itelite DBS extender mod. Mucho flexibility.

2015-9-21
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

coherent Posted at 2015-9-15 16:55
Because the units operate on a different frequency, the DBS Mod antenna will not work.  A 2.4Ghz an ...
If you order an ITE-DBS01 that the P2/P2Vision/P2Vision+/FC40 uses, that will work with a P3S.

https://shop.trycelery.com/page/dbsphantom

Good news for P3S owners interested in antenna upgrades.

2015-9-21
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

Open P3S controller case during pigtail mod.

5.8 flight control antenna and the two FPV patch antennas disconnected from the circuit boards at UFL connection.
IMG_1375.JPG
2015-9-22
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-22 12:00
Open P3S controller case during u.fl to RP-SMA pigtail mod.
Here the flight control antenna and the  ...

The two 2.4GHz FPV antenna are at 5 and 7 o'clock.
2015-9-22
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

This picture shows the RP-SMA connectors (with pigtail attached) going out the top of the split P3S controller. Many other locations for the RP-SMA connectors are available, entirely up to the individual.

IMG_1376.JPG
2015-9-22
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-22 12:08
This picture shows the RP-SMA connectors (with pigtail attached) going out the top of the split P3S  ...

Note that the tx antenna opening at 6 o'clock has been trimmed to allow the RP-SMA connector to extend enough threaded surface to fully screw on antennas. The flanges in the inside also needed a little channeling and relieving.
2015-9-22
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

Now all three u.fl to RP-SMA pigtails are in place... connected at circuit board and exiting through controller top and OEM tx antenna aperture.

IMG_1377.JPG
2015-9-22
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-22 12:16
Now all three u.fl to RP-SMA pigtails are in place... connected at circuit board and exiting through ...

I used clear low-temp hot glue to dab anchor dots on the u.fl connection at the circuit board, but I did not cover the coax connector. Instead, I tried to dot the glue on the wire just below the connectors. That secures them without making a holy mess if you ever need to revisit your work.
2015-9-22
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

Detail of RP-SMA exiting P3S controller tx antenna opeining
IMG_1378.JPG
2015-9-22
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-22 12:20
Detail of RP-SMA exiting P3S controller tx antenna opeining

masking tape is temporarily holding tx antenna coax in position while the hot glue at the circuit board end dries. These pigtails should be kept free of sharp bends and moving parts.
2015-9-22
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

P3S Controller with u.fl to RP-SMA pigtail mod done.
Shown without tablet clamp for clarity.
The twin RP-SMA on top are for 2.4GHz FPV antenna connections.
The RP-SMA exiting the OEM antenna hole is for 5.8GHz flight control antenna connections.

IMG_1380.JPG
2015-9-22
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-23 00:30
P3S Controller with u.fl to RP-SMA pigtail mod done.
Shown without tablet clamp for clarity.
The tw ...

Wonderful job!! This mod is a "no brainer" for the P3S. I can't wait to get the report on your range in a few days.
2015-9-22
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-22 13:05
Wonderful job!! This mod is a "no brainer" for the P3S. I can't wait to get the report on your ran ...

Brother Jim, I owe you a substantially large debt of gratitude for your kindness and technical generosity. Thank you once more.
2015-9-22
Use props
DaveReidPhoto
lvl.2

Australia

Chip.Robie and Jimcloud74 - you are a godsend

Chip - im sorry you had range issues, but if you are getting better results, in a round about way - im glad you had range issues
Jim - great mentoring i wish i was on the phone hearing what you guys were saying
----------

As i am P3S owner (in australia) too, i find that i am only getting about 150mtrs.  It "feels" like it should be greater and your post has confirmed this for me.

I am not a modder at all, but i have a reasonable amount of understanding from reading and am able to follow instructions.  I have some questions which Chip you may be best to answer as you are now the man with experience.

Question 1: How did you go about opening the controller nicely?  When i attempted to open mine whilst reading this article, i wasnt able to detatch the USB Charger (at the bottom) point from the case and the cables were glued on the other side of the controller - making it very tight to open?  Was there a trick you did to get this disconnected / opened?

Question 2: What about the OEM antenna?  When looking at removing this (albeit the case was still relatively together due to the above,) it appears not to be separated in half.  the moulding appears to be solid? Again any tricks?

Question 3:  Is it possible for you to upload higher resolution photos of the internals and possibly label the points you are discussing rather than doing "7 oclock" / "5 oclock" references?  Just to make it clearer again?

Question 4:  Can you please provide a list of items that you purchased?  Whilst i appreciate i may not be able to get them in australia, if you can atleast list them i can try source them from various places.  

Appreciate it greatly, im going to do some more testing this weekend in an open park to get some baseline figures and it owuld be great to compare your new figures vs my OEM ones so people can see what they should expect.

Thanks Jim and Chip.
2015-9-24
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

DaveReidPhoto Posted at 2015-9-24 07:08
Chip.Robie and Jimcloud74 - you are a godsend

Chip - im sorry you had range issues, but if you a ...
"As i am P3S owner (in australia) too, i find that i am only getting about 150mtrs.  It "feels" like it should be greater and your post has confirmed this for me."

I wouldn't use my post as confirmation at all. I was losing flight control signal at 150-200 FEET. YOu are reporting 150M which is about 450 feet. I think in the US the software has a flight ceiling of about 400 feet. Sounds to me your bird is performing a little above US OEM specifications. Maybe that "feeling" is just a bug to mod it?  

This mod requires a little bit of thought beyond instruction lists. You need understanding. You need to invest effort. I'll help, but you have to do due diligence as well. You need understanding with the instructions. You set out with instructions alone and no understanding, you are going to screw up and be unhappy and I won't be there to fix it. I will not be the Cliff Notes author--you gotta understand if you look to me for help.

"Question 1: How did you go about opening the controller nicely?  When i attempted to open mine whilst reading this article, i wasnt able to detatch the USB Charger (at the bottom) point from the case and the cables were glued on the other side of the controller - making it very tight to open?  Was there a trick you did to get this disconnected / opened?"

My posts said all the work was not shown. Did that for a reason. I watched YouTube videos last week to learn how to open the clamshell on P2Vision+ controllers. Do your YouTube homework on opening P2Vision+ cases (yes, I know you have P3S) as well as watching the ITELITE video for the DBS-01 mod. I followed their advice, you do the same--if you break or disconnect something, it's on you, not me. Just go careful and don't force anything. Yes, the clamshell halves seem to come apart better after you work out the antenna loop at top. I won't waste my breath typing about the videos, just find them and watch them.

"Question 2: What about the OEM antenna?  When looking at removing this (albeit the case was still relatively together due to the above,) it appears not to be separated in half.  the moulding appears to be solid? Again any tricks? "

Again, watch the videos i just described above. I found a couple that specifically show and discuss in detail exactly what you asked, including how to work the clamshell halves apart at the antenna loop up top.  It won't help you for me to type about the videos. Find and watch. Part of your investment in what you are doing. The tricks are revealed in the videos.

"Question 3:  Is it possible for you to upload higher resolution photos of the internals and possibly label the points you are discussing rather than doing "7 oclock" / "5 oclock" references?  Just to make it clearer again?"

Nope! I don't work for DJI or this forum. This stuff comes out of my personal time, which I value. If you're not able to look at the pictures and my reference points and identify the components, screw your case shut and stop now. The circuit board inside doesn't have labels and callouts, bubba. If you can't work it out given my information, this is not for you. If you can't manage the intellectual investment to pore around those pics and find the described component, modding really is not going to be your thing. You have to invest your own time and attention to gain competency.

"Question 4:  Can you please provide a list of items that you purchased?  Whilst i appreciate i may not be able to get them in australia, if you can atleast list them i can try source them from various places. "

You do realize, that your question says that you are too lazy to read the previous content I posted, where I in fact posted numerous times exactly what I purchased, but you want me to type it all up nicely for you? That is called spoon feeding. It's rude to ask for that, but I'll grant you a one-time exception because we are both new guys, I'm trying to be nice, but from here on you do your own reading and collation.

Amazon delivers to Australia. Go to Amazon and search on "UFL to RP-SMA 20 cm". They often come in sets of two. You'll need one to do the 5.8 antenna, two more if you do the 2.4 FPV antennas. Total of 3. Order 2 sets and keep a spare. That's your one free spoon feeding.

"Appreciate it greatly, im going to do some more testing this weekend in an open park to get some baseline figures and it owuld be great to compare your new figures vs my OEM ones so people can see what they should expect."

Bad news, I'm afraid. I'm not out for distance, I'm out to fix a broken antenna lead, that I may have self-inflicted by opening the controller clamshell. I've done one test flight to verify the new 5.8 connection works--and it does. I still haven't been as high as you have, before cracking your case open. I'm not out to push limits so don't look to me to provide test data on range extremes.

The whole point of the pigtail mod isn't to go crazy distances. That's why you shouldn't go off with a list to do some mod without understanding of exactly what's going on. The pigtail mod provides a RP-SMA connector set outside the case that you can use to attach pretty much an infinite combination of antennas across 2.4 and 5.8 GHz spectra, either linear or circular polarity, whip or panel, omnidirectional or directional. All the pigtail mod does is give you a plug-in point. Then you supply antennas or go buy a panel kit from ITE or FPVLR who did the design and R&D work for you.

Once you get your SMA connectors on your box, then what do you do next, especially if you don't really know what you just did? Next you have to do antenna school, and YOU have to do the learning. That's why Cliff Notes answers without understanding are BAD for you, even if it seems easier and shortcutty to let others do the work. You gotta invest too. If you are going to invest hundreds in helical and hemispherical RHCP and LHCP antennas, you either need to understand design and behavior to do your own designs, or buy from someone who sells their researched work, like ITE and FPVLR. You follow lists blindly and you soon will be starting your own "My Modded Phantom 3S Had A Flyaway And I Don't Know Why" thread. For reals, bubba.

I put matching frequency linear omnidirectional antennas with 8 db gain on my SMAs for initial test. I don't know that my test antenna choices would make you happy at all. The do me, but I'm not you.

I can't prove that I can even match the OEM performance that you complained about yet with my 8 db gain antennas. I don't think we both want the same thing, and if we have different goals, you'd be better of with knowledge sufficient to plot your own course.

Good luck and good flying--and don't be afraid to learn. THe forum can explain things, but it can't understand things for you.

2015-9-24
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

Flight test report:

Didn't have a lot of air time, but did get in a really nice test flight on the way home from work yesterday. Real conservative flight, did not test any factory limits, but compared parameters to last six or seven flights with antenna problems.

I did do a LOS horizontal test that went as only as far as I did before when I lost signal and RTH would kick in before my antenna upgrade. Now I have full strength signal at that distance. Nice.

I did an altitude test and exceeded the height where I formerly would lose signal and trigger RTH. I now have full strength signal at that distance. Veddy Nice.

Video is great. On the other hand, it was great before. I was losing flight control tx at fractions of the OEM FPV range specs, so I haven't experienced any 2.4 GHz FPV issues before or now, to be fair.

Still, I'm pleased as punch. Not one signal loss. Not one drop from full signal. It was all conservative close range LOS flight well within OEM specs.

Until the time when I try flights beyond OEM distance and altitude specs, I can't claim to have enhanced a thing, and I'm in no hurry to go far out. But what I *do* have now is leaps and bounds beyond what I had before--which was a broken 5.8 GHz antenna, and no replacement part available by DJI dealer or home office right now.

The pigtail mod sure fixed the 5.8 flight control tx issue. Night and day difference. Didn't have FPV problems before, still don't. I don't expect I can really claim I've seen FPV improvement until time comes when I fly beyond 0.6 mi away and still keep strong FPV. That might take a while, I'm in no hurry.

At least I can say I can't tell a bit of FPV difference in switching from the panel antennas in the clamshell to the dirt cheap 8db gain omnidirectionals on the exterior mounts today. So, until I have real evidence of improvement, I'm happy I can say at least I didn't break anything, and the new FPV antennas appear to at least meet OEM performance specs, based on conservative first test.

So, I've got that going for me... Which is nice.
2015-9-24
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

IMG_1385.JPG

P3S Controller, ufl to RP-SMA pigtail mod, with 8 db gain linear omni antennas attached.
Clamp shown is DJI Inspire/P3 large tablet clamp; also requires case mods to install.

2015-9-24
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

Good deal. Case closed. Push that thing on out there. It will do it. Glad you got it fixed buddy.
2015-9-24
Use props
DaveReidPhoto
lvl.2

Australia

chip.robie Posted at 2015-9-25 02:25
I wouldn't use my post as confirmation at all. I was losing flight control signal at 150-200 FEET. ...

wow....... :\

ok thanks.

glad you got the walk through help you required and are not able to pass it on... anyway im out. if thats the attitude of the forum then thats disgraceful.
2015-9-24
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-24 13:52
Good deal. Case closed. Push that thing on out there. It will do it. Glad you got it fixed buddy.

Me too. Thanks, Jim.
2015-9-25
Use props
chip.robie
lvl.1

United States

DaveReidPhoto Posted at 2015-9-24 20:52
wow....... :\

ok thanks.

Dave,

I don't work for DJI. Or the forum. I have a real job. I'm not a DJI expert on anything at all.  

I didn't post my work for notoriety or admiration. I did it to extend the type of help that someone extended to me. And now I know why that person did the heavy technical lifting off list.

I'm willing to help, but this stuff takes time, and I never signed up to become the on-call tech support for every Tom, Dick, and Dave that imagines they want to do some kind of mod that resembles mine.

The fact that you act appalled when I tell you I'm not going to go back and disassemble my Tx to take pictures in higher resolution and then edit in callouts and arrows... all because you are too lazy to look at the existing pictures with detailed descriptions and locations? Because you are too lazy to Google "clock face orientation" or similar if you don't understand?

When did I become obligated to take more of my time to explain questions you ask that I've already answered?

I didn't. I'm not.  You are calling me disgraceful and leaving because I said you needed to read existing content in the thread carefully, that you were assuming my work accomplished something it had actually not done, and that you should consider other criteria to make your decision. Then I refused to take my controller apart and start a new project just to answer your stunningly inconsiderate question.

What have you contributed? How are you exchanging information? You came in with your hand out, gave nothing, and raised a stink when the Forum didn't fulfill your dreams, with no work or investment from you.

Don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out.  

I'm going dark now. I've had enough of the arrogant entitled newbie dung.
2015-9-25
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules