Pan axis - weird movement of the Ronin with fs700
5165 11 2014-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
janericeuler
New
Germany

Hey there
I am currently trying to get my Ronin + long arms + fs700 setup working.
The device itself i s a delight but with the fs700 it tends to mess up all the time, maybe you can help me.

When in smoothtrack-mode the ronin reacts very strangely to panning movement.
It does really fast movements to each side and sometimes just switches off the motors completely.
It does this a lot and it seems like its not related to the speed of the pan or the movement of the operator.
Here you can see what it looks like especially in the end of the short video:

How can I fix this ?
Does anybody have similar issues ?

Thanks in advance
Jan
2014-12-12
Use props
DJI-Darryl
lvl.2

United States

@Jan can you post all your settings from the app as you had them in the video?
If not can you try again and post a new video the the precise settings you are using?
Also are you using the "Lens Support Bracket" that came with your Ronin?

Thank you  
2014-12-13
Use props
janericeuler
New
France

hey thank s for your answer

smoothtrack pan: deadband 10 / accel 0 / speed 50
i've tried different values for deadband and speed
always the same problem unfortunately

i am using the lens bracket
tried different lenses , effect

with heavier lenses like canon l 16-35 2,8 i have had to weigh the battery side of the ronin with extra weights in order to get a balanced pan axis with the xl arms (xl arms shift the weight of the whole camera side more to the front and i can not move the adjustments of the pan any further back so i had ro add weight. is there a different solution for that maybe?

beat regards
jan
2014-12-14
Use props
mps
New

France

janericeuler@gm Posted at 2014-12-14 16:15

basically the same problem here, some really strange movement as on your vid. did you fond a solution to resolve the problem?

arnaud
2014-12-20
Use props
DJI-Julain
lvl.2

China

When you use one hand hold Ronin, it would react like this.
Could you test hold it by two hands, you would find it behaves fine
2014-12-22
Use props
Sharpshooter
lvl.1

United States

I've been testing my Ronin with a Sony X-70 camcorder on it and I'm having the same issues. From Julian's response above, are we to assume that the center single handle is not usable when capturing video? When I use the Ronin with the handles positioned under the horizontal bar, my Ronin does the same thing. The camera will not stay stabilized straight ahead, and when I attempt to pan, the camera just swings freely around the quick release. I've been working on this for a day and it's getting a little frustrating. I've reset several times and recalibrated everything multiple times.
2015-1-4
Use props
tahoejmfc
lvl.1

United States

sounds like it is a case of the Pan axis not balanced properly. I had same issue until I got the pan balance to be perfect first. then I adjusted the smooth track setting for awhile and the issue went away. I think alot of issues like auto tune not working can all be solved by precisely balancing the gimbal/camera.
2015-1-13
Use props
janericeuler.em
New
Germany

hey,
unfortunately the problem does not seem to go away.
have reset and re balanced everything so many times now. can't get rid of the jumpy movement and motors just switching off.
holding it with two hands doesnt change that !

so what's the cause of this ?
so far the ronin is pretty useless because that movement destroys most shots and makes it totally unreliable.
does anyone have a working fs700 + ronin setup here and could share some insights?
thanks!
2015-1-22
Use props
jessejester117
New

United States

having the same issue. FS700 (w/sigma 10-20 +speedbooster, if that matters) on the XL arms, rented gimbal, so maybe the motors fkd or something.

perfectly balanced, everything updated, all other aspects/axes of it work just fine. any progress on this issue??

I think my current shoot is donezo already because of this, but I want to try to have it solved for future use.
2015-3-13
Use props
onthewave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84833475 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same issue with Ronin and SONY F55. PAN lags far behind actual movement whether or not I use center handle or side handles. It also loses center. It is perfectly balanced. SMOOTHPAN seems to do nothing no matter what values I set for ACCEL, stays in the same limp lagging state. Pan of course works fine from the Remote controller. I'm stumped...DJI has not been helpful here. Any clues community?
2015-3-22
Use props
ryanlightvideos
New

United States

janericeuler@gm Posted at 2014-12-14 16:15

this is the solution

http://cinemilled.com/shop/dji-ronin-pan-arm-extension/
2015-3-31
Use props
alexmla
lvl.1

United States

@ryanlightvideos : I am using this and this IS NOT the solution!

I am having the exact same issues with a FS7. Did any of you find a solution? Tried many smooth track settings, gimbal is balanced well (all motors are around 0-4 max when idle), tried a reset, tried calibration, and so on. All with the same result. This is pretty useless as is right now
2015-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules