Stadium No fly Zone
12Next >
6112 41 2015-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
michael17
lvl.1

United States

I'm trying to do a video project for an apartment complex (using my P3P) in the Uptown area of Charlotte, NC. The recent update places this complex right on the edge of the NFZ ring from the Panthers stadium. A little ridiculous that stadiums are now blocked at all times. I have a couple questions:

1) Are there other apps/method to downgrade to previous updates to get around the NFZ. Or is it permanently programmed into the drone?
2) Is anyone familiar and have experience flying with tinfoil over the shell. If so, are there risks with doing this such as flying away or will I just need to be prepared to fly in ATTI?
3) Most importantly: what happens if you take off in a NON NFZ and proceed to fly into an NFZ. Is it true that it will just land wherever it is (which is very dangerous). Or will it RTH?

PS: With all due respect, please don't bother commenting if your sole purpose is to lecture me about trying evade federal regulations. These are DJI regs, not FAA. Trying to get these questions answered ASAP and don't have time for unrelated discussion.

Thanks!
2015-9-16
Use props
Skyjacked
New

Canada

I would also like to know this as well, since the new no fly zones I can no longer fly in my favorite spots.  My count y has not made flying near stadiums illegal so I don't know why Dji has.
I have tried to downgrade the firmware and software but I still get the no fly zone warning and I can't take off.

Any help would be appreciated.

2015-9-17
Use props
wnemay
lvl.1

United States

Skyjacked Posted at 2015-9-17 12:01
I would also like to know this as well, since the new no fly zones I can no longer fly in my favorit ...

Probably because DJI don't want you to crash into a crowd, hurt a few people, and give them a bad name.  It is bad enough that DJI is associated with every drone news article.
2015-9-17
Use props
Skyjacked
New

Canada

wnemay Posted at 2015-9-17 15:10
Probably because DJI don't want you to crash into a crowd, hurt a few people, and give them a bad  ...

I don't really care what Dji wants I'm more then 1000m away from any stadium or crowd.  I'm fully within my legal rights I don't need this nanny company or you telling me where to fly
2015-9-17
Use props
michael17
lvl.1

United States

wnemay Posted at 2015-9-18 03:10
Probably because DJI don't want you to crash into a crowd, hurt a few people, and give them a bad  ...

If they want to restrict flying when events are happening in the stadium, so be it. Thats an FAA regulation. Restricting flight 24/7/365 with the enormous radius that they have now is simply ridiculous and overbearing.
2015-9-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

michael17 Posted at 2015-9-18 09:49
If they want to restrict flying when events are happening in the stadium, so be it. Thats an FAA r ...

Knowing when the stadium is to be used would require a lot more information to be obtained by DJI, and that is just not going to happen, especially when you consider how many stadiums there are world-wide and the sheer amount of information needed.
2015-9-17
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912661 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Skyjacked Posted at 2015-9-17 20:26
I don't really care what Dji wants I'm more then 1000m away from any stadium or crowd.  I'm fully  ...

I can't believe that iv just read that!!

With all due respect, Posting about breaking the law, an obvious disregard for DJI rules and regulations and saying you don't care about all of that... For the sake of 1 video... isn't a good idea. Let alone asking about it on the DJI forum!!

If you seriously want to break NFZ/FAA rules, I'd advise you ask somewhere else / use Google a bit better. Also, take 5 minutes out to read the regulations set by DJI and why they are there.

It's people like yourself that will give the rest of us a bad name!!

2015-9-17
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1752986 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-9-17 22:48

With all due respect, Posting about breaking the law, ...

Flying near an empty stadium isnt breaking any law.  I too had to turn down a client because DJI was sneaky with their update and added this without telling us.  I hope to purchase a different quad in hopes I can get that client back, but I shouldn't have to.  
2015-9-17
Use props
michael17
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-9-18 07:51
Knowing when the stadium is to be used would require a lot more information to be obtained by DJI, ...

DJI is a 8+ billion dollar company. Building a software that can implement scheduling of events into their NFZ isn't too farfetched. I understand it cant be done overnight, but its sometime I hope can be worked towards.
2015-9-17
Use props
michael17
lvl.1

United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-9-18 10:48

Nobody is breaking any laws. And we have every right to voice our disregard with the excessive restrictions DJI is implementing because *a few* people got arrested crashing their drone into full stadiums....Please tell me how flying over (let alone 2500 ft away) an empty concrete structure with 0 people in it is harmful to anyone.
2015-9-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

michael17 Posted at 2015-9-18 13:06
DJI is a 8+ billion dollar company. Building a software that can implement scheduling of events in ...

Expecting DJI to keep track of the event schedule for hundreds of stadiums world-wide is unrealistic, and would require a large number of staff to manage and maintain. And it is not their core business. Any event schedule would require a database of events that would need to be updated every day due to scheduling changes. Then it would be necessary to update the aircraft every time you fly, and that is not practical if you do not have a full-time connection to the web.

It just aint going to happen.
2015-9-17
Use props
Skyjacked
New

Canada

You obviously didn't read my post.
2015-9-17
Use props
Skyjacked
New

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2015-9-17 23:42
Expecting DJI to keep track of the event schedule for hundreds of stadiums world-wide is unrealist ...

If they aren't willing to implement proper no fly zones they should have the ability to turn them off so the responsibility falls with the drone operator.  Dji is not the police or the law makers in my country
2015-9-17
Use props
Skyjacked
New

Canada

michael17 Posted at 2015-9-17 23:10
Nobody is breaking any laws. And we have every right to voice our disregard with the excessive res ...

Michael, FYI I flew a friends new p3p today with a older firmware (1.19) with and older version of the go app (2.0.2) and was able to fly in this new (bullshit) no fly zone without issue.  So that's one work around.

However, I tried to downgrade my bird from 1.3.2 to 1.19 and still got the new no fly zone.  So the firmware is not resetting the drone.  How is that possible ? Are the maps cached somehow in the p3?
2015-9-17
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Skyjacked Posted at 2015-9-18 04:55
You obviously didn't read my post.

I obviously did read your post.
2015-9-18
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

michael17 Posted at 2015-9-18 04:10
Nobody is breaking any laws. And we have every right to voice our disregard with the excessive res ...

Everyone has a right to free speech. Isn't that the USA's first amendment? Something like that.

But, you have to remember, that anyone can go out and buy a UAV. The Phantom 3 Standard flies with a 1.2kg payload. If something that large were to fly into the engine of a commercial aircraft, then there would be a major problem for all of us to look at.

This is why the rules are in place.

I certainly wouldn't want to be held accountable for my drone causing such a massive loss of life / damage. Hense why i stick to the rules.
2015-9-18
Use props
al.zamorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256362 ft
United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-9-18 07:09
Everyone has a right to free speech. Isn't that the USA's first amendment? Something like that.

B ...

The blanket restriction DJI has placed on all these stadiums is ridiculous . Most of the time they are empty and it is totally legal to fly in the area. DJI needs to either allow the user to disable the restriction and acknowledge that we are responsible in doing so, like we do now with the 400' height limit or remove the stadium restrictions all together if they cannot implement activation of NFZ over the stadium during actual TFR times. Otherwise users/ customers will look to other options for their drone use.
2015-9-18
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

al.zamorski Posted at 2015-9-18 13:36
The blanket restriction DJI has placed on all these stadiums is ridiculous . Most of the time they ...

As far as looking for other options for my drone use, i don't think i will.

I am one for always looking to expand my knowledge into tech, see how far i can push it, what else can i do with items etc, and of course i don't mind breaking a rule every now n then.

BUT, these rules are here not just for the protection of a brand name, but more importantly for the protection, safety and well being of the general public. And this is something I understand and support.

Imagine if your 1.2kg Phantom hits a child in one of those NFZ's.... Or even just a material item? It's not even worth the risk.

I would strongly advise that if you want to "hack" or "break" the rules / phantom, then you do so on a different forum. As i seriously doubt any DJI Employee will give the answer you want along those lines!!
2015-9-18
Use props
Skyjacked
New

Canada

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-9-18 07:06
I obviously did read your post.

Then you didn't understand it.  I don't want to fly over stadiums or people.
2015-9-18
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Skyjacked Posted at 2015-9-18 14:11
Then you didn't understand it.  I don't want to fly over stadiums or people.

Then you clearly are hypocritical.

"I would also like to know this as well, since the new no fly zones I can no longer fly in my favorite spots."

Your "favorite spots" would have been made into a NFZ for a reason.

Pretty simple to understand really.
2015-9-18
Use props
Skyjacked
New

Canada

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-9-18 09:21
Then you clearly are hypocritical.

"I would also like to know this as well, since the new no fly ...

The reason is not lawful in my country so I don't plan to follow it.  Stay on your high horse and just follow blindly, but don't be surprised when the new nfz are where you fly soon too
2015-9-18
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Skyjacked Posted at 2015-9-18 14:34
The reason is not lawful in my country so I don't plan to follow it.  Stay on your high horse and  ...

Dear lord. You just can't help some people.

I knew some people like you once, it's funny to watch them not able to accept some help / advice. And pretty sad too.

I'm done with you, Skyjacked. Best of luck with your adventures.
2015-9-18
Use props
druiz100
lvl.2

United States

Did i miss something here.  Just cover your P3P so it dont get GPS and use a Non Cell tower connected device.  You will need to fly in ATTi mode.  Heck there tons of youtube videos on this.  Dont you people ever google something before you ask a question in here
2015-9-18
Use props
stvnvicbc
lvl.2

Canada

druiz100@hotmai Posted at 2015-9-18 09:50
Did i miss something here.  Just cover your P3P so it dont get GPS and use a Non Cell tower connecte ...

Sadly, a lot of form posters are not familiar with Web Search Engines.  Some are not familiar with the term decorum either.

2015-9-18
Use props
michael17
lvl.1

United States

Can anyone confirm from experience what happens when you're outside of a NFZ and enter into one? I find it hard to believe that it just descends where in place immediately. Are you able to take control of the aircraft at all, or does it just land as soon as it hits the border? That could be disastrous. Thanks
2015-9-18
Use props
Skyjacked
New

Canada

michael17 Posted at 2015-9-18 16:28
Can anyone confirm from experience what happens when you're outside of a NFZ and enter into one? I f ...

I have done this recently, it's like hitting an invisible wall. It just won't go into it, I have no had it decend or try to land.
2015-9-18
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

To the OP's question...  If you're doing stuff commercially you probably should get another multi-rotor that can lug a gopro or similar?

I do the odd bit of real-estate work for a friend and I've already come across one job I couldn't do with the P3 due to the one DJI NFZ near me being much larger than the legal no-fly area for the airport in New Zealand...  So I used my Naza-M V2 controlled hex with a boscam HD19 for the job..  Not a good as the P3, but OK...  And now I have an H3-3D gimbal to go on that bird just in case I get caught out again.

Bottom line: if you're shooting commercially, buy the tools, charge them on to your customers...
2015-9-21
Use props
ronyochum.mac
New

United States

It should be an optional setting on the drone, as is the ceiling height.
2015-10-6
Use props
ronyochum.mac
New

United States

michael17 Posted at 2015-9-17 23:06
DJI is a 8+ billion dollar company. Building a software that can implement scheduling of events in ...

If you've ever dealt with DJI customer support, you can see why they aren't interested in the granular nature of stadium scheduling.  Its nearly impossible to get any help from their customer support on any issue, what makes you think that they care about schedules.
2015-10-6
Use props
ronyochum.mac
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-9-17 23:42
Expecting DJI to keep track of the event schedule for hundreds of stadiums world-wide is unrealist ...

ALL major league events are posted a year in advance.  Its not too hard.  I could do it in a couple hours.

Second.  The zones are WAY TOO BIG .
2015-10-6
Use props
ronyochum.mac
New

United States

al.zamorski Posted at 2015-9-18 08:36
The blanket restriction DJI has placed on all these stadiums is ridiculous . Most of the time they ...

I just spent $1200 on this glorified paperweight.  Could have bought the competition.  I'm seriously considering reversing the charge on my credit card.
2015-10-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ronyochum.mac Posted at 2015-10-7 00:34
ALL major league events are posted a year in advance.  Its not too hard.  I could do it in a coupl ...

You obviously did not read my post properly, I said WORLD-WIDE. There are stadiums outside of the US and they are covered too. Then there is the issue of scheduling changes....
2015-10-6
Use props
Brendan Schulma
lvl.1

United States

Brendan from DJI here.  We just reduced the radius to half (connect your GO app and the drone to the internet for the update).  Also, this is a temporary measure and we are working on a more comprehensive approach, so please bear with us.  Thank you.

2015-10-9
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Brendan Schulma Posted at 2015-10-10 01:48
Brendan from DJI here.  We just reduced the radius to half (connect your GO app and the drone to the ...

Guess the NFL was pissed to find that they couldn't use their DJI products to film at the various stadiums?

2015-10-10
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

DJI acion are illegal from an customer or aviation law.
1. There are changes in already bought product.
2. Jamming an controlling devices are prohibited (dji no fly zone is jamming controling functions).
3. Manage of airspace is not in DJI competentions, it is in competency of local authorities.
4. Collecting of personal data like permissions or identifications cards and controlling is not an DJI competency. This is a competentions of police or aviation agency.

I found a three points in my local aviation law what DJI is breaking.
In my country flying over stadiums is not prohibited, and do not require any permissions.

DJI should make  a warning zone, not no-fly zone.

If someone will need to make something stupid he will just use breakfest silver foam and do kaboom. He do not need permission from DJI or anybody for that.He also can buy much cheaper Syma products or make a custom uav.

This no-fly restriction over other objects than airports (however i can fly over airport if i get permission from my local airport manager, NOT DJI) make impact only for Dji customers.
DJI is not creating zones, is not manage airspace, and permissions to fly in zones are given by a local authorities and local authorities are manage zones.

UAV operator is responsible for following a rules, local law, and piloting, authorities like FAA or PANSA are responsible for a law, and DJI have nothing to do here.
If you want to create danger zone - please yes, it is good - but in a form of an information, not restrictions.

We are working here and DJI actions make our work impossible or annoying.
2015-11-22
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very interesting posts here I have read them all. The issue is simple in my pea brain - Warn of a non-airport no-fly zone, as you do with the max altitude limits.
If operators are stupid enough to fly where they don't belong, the FAA penalties are steep. And if there are injuries, the jury system will impoverish the offender and he/she will not have the money to keep flying.
Finally since DJI deals with countries all over the world, it makes sense to just warn people of impending dangerous operating areas.
Use the newly available computer storage to program in aperture control to the cameras. That would be welcomed by every one of us.
2015-12-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-12-18 05:25
Very interesting posts here I have read them all. The issue is simple in my pea brain - Warn of a no ...

A small point, aperture control is not simply a firmware feature, it requires the motors and electronics in the camera and a variable aperture iris. None of these items exist in the Phantom camera. It would be possible in the X5 camera because MFT lenses can have a motor driven iris.
2015-12-17
Use props
DAS
New

United States

Brendan Schulma Posted at 2015-10-9 22:48
Brendan from DJI here.  We just reduced the radius to half (connect your GO app and the drone to the ...

It's time to fix this.  There is nothing illegal or dangerous about flying over empty stadiums.  It is a very unnecessary prohibition, and a major inconvenience to those that want to fly over, or in the visinity of, an empty stadium.  At the very least, allow folks to unlock this "feature" by providing their information should it create a law enforcement concern.
2016-1-16
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the partial improvement in the DJI no-fly zone software. If you are truly thinking of making changes, take the easy road, give people a warning of danger, and let them override at their peril.

Unless you have been forced by some court to do this, it is your choice, and your customers are speaking out loudly.
I am very careful where I fly, as I am near a National Park and its boundaries are not well defined by your no-fly system. So I have to be wary of my surroundings, and not launch where I shouldn't.
Cars don't have warnings when they veer off the road and slam into someone's house.
People don't have software to keep them from walking in front of a moving car, yet they do it every day. Is it Ford's fault? Chevy's?
People have to take responsibility for their own actions as they do with a gun or car. Quadcopters should be no different.
If you don't want your products to cause damage to others or property, you shouldn't have decided to make it in the first place. Simple.
2016-1-16
Use props
DAS
New

United States

arives@capecod. Posted at 2016-1-16 20:45
Thanks for the partial improvement in the DJI no-fly zone software. If you are truly thinking of mak ...

Please sign my petition against always on stadium no fly zones at http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;extra=#pid297944
2016-1-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules