Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hitting 75.3MPH and Testing Power Loops in Heavy Gusts
12345Next >
1175 172 6-27 08:44
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 15018822 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thought I'd test my new prop guard covers on the Avata 2 (passed with flying colours) but didn't anticipate just how windy it is here today. Flying at 14MPH in one direction then turning to hit my speed record wth the Avata 2 at 75.3MPH / 121.2 km/h flying with the wind. Trying to do power loops while flying in what must be 40+mph winds with a cinewhoop is an experience to say the least... Great to practice in but easily my most difficult flights to date.

Footage taken directly from the goggles with obviously no stabilisation so you can see all the telemetry and flight as it actually happened.

6-27 08:44
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is blazing fast!
6-27 23:41
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 6-27 23:41
That is blazing fast!

I was losing altitude in full throttle at that speed so I think that is about it's limit - may be a 50 degree pitch angle to keep the horizon just in view while maxing out the speed and starting off at 400' AGL with a another very fast gust carrying it may see 80mph but I think I've tested it enough in terms of max speed now. It's a little beast for sure.  
6-28 00:21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello there! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your fantastic experience using the Avata 2 with us. Thank you for sharing your work—it's truly remarkable!

Keep us posted always. Thank you for your valued support!
6-28 01:26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice one AJ,    Did you notice any difference power looping with the low battery?   I was advised not to do moves that need lots of power to pull out of with a low battery like that,   but that came from a true FPV drone experienced pilot.  
6-28 03:12
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 6-28 01:26
Hello there! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your fantastic experience using the Avata 2 with us. Thank you for sharing your work—it's truly remarkable!

Keep us posted always. Thank you for your valued support!

Cheers Natalia - I appreciate that
6-28 04:06
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-28 03:12
Nice one AJ,    Did you notice any difference power looping with the low battery?   I was advised not to do moves that need lots of power to pull out of with a low battery like that,   but that came from a true FPV drone experienced pilot.

No difference as I reduced the throttle to zero on the loop around so as not to drop to the ground as quickly on the turn while the drone was inverted so I actually used less power. To complete a power loop (in normal weather conditions) you will need to apply throttle to regain the ascent in altitude but you may notice I deliberately never did that given my battery level and the fast winds fighting me flying in that direction. As such, no battery issues at all but yes, I wouldn't advise doing acro that requires full throttle inputs with low battery warnings or even with <30% remaining. I equally wouldn't recommend doing acro at all in 40+mph winds or even flying the Avata 2 in the first place in those conditions, especially for beginners. It wasn't fun but was good practice and pleased I never crashed or used the pause button.
6-28 04:12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, there were some really nice power loops.  Congrats on your new speed record.  
6-28 05:51
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-28 05:51
Wow, there were some really nice power loops.  Congrats on your new speed record.

Cheers Rich - quite pleased considering I had the new prop guard covers on and the winds were ridiculously fast yesterday (as they are now)
6-28 05:55
Use props
Danno_Might
lvl.1
Flight distance : 76240 ft
United States

Nice!!!! I had mine to 61mph the other day. I'm really new to flying drones all together and very cautious esp around my house and stay over 100ft high due to all the trees. I have trimmed some leaves a 2 times times and was too late hitting the stop button once but Dronan is a warrior and remained airborne 2 out of the 3 times. Only time I'll fly low around my home anymore is with the motion controller.
6-28 07:32
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Danno_Might Posted at 6-28 07:32
Nice!!!! I had mine to 61mph the other day. I'm really new to flying drones all together and very cautious esp around my house and stay over 100ft high due to all the trees. I have trimmed some leaves a 2 times times and was too late hitting the stop button once but Dronan is a warrior and remained airborne 2 out of the 3 times. Only time I'll fly low around my home anymore is with the motion controller.

Cheers.
Yeah, flying low and in close proximity to objects while in full manual flight requires a lot of practice - best to stick with the MC3 for that type of flying until you feel really confident.
6-28 07:37
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 6260171 ft
  • >>>
United States

So when you hit that 60mph speed does the Avata 2 engines sound like the FPV at 60mph, the high pitch whine?
6-28 07:44
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 6-28 07:44
So when you hit that 60mph speed does the Avata 2 engines sound like the FPV at 60mph, the high pitch whine?

More so at 75mph but still quieter than the Avata 1 when it's taking off lol
6-28 09:17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-28 05:55
Cheers Rich - quite pleased considering I had the new prop guard covers on and the winds were ridiculously fast yesterday (as they are now)

That was some excellent flying.  Keep it up.  
6-28 09:40
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-28 09:40
That was some excellent flying.  Keep it up.

Should be easier now as the next time I fly the winds will be literally 90% slower!
6-28 09:44
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-28 09:44
Should be easier now as the next time I fly the winds will be literally 90% slower!

At least you wont have to fight the winds during the power loops.  
6-28 09:58
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-28 09:58
At least you want have to find the winds during the power loops.

Exactly - I almost packed up and went home at one point as it was so bad. I have never done that before when flying.
6-28 10:19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-28 10:19
Exactly - I almost packed up and went home at one as it was so bad. I have never done that before when flying.

I always check the UAV Forecast App before I head out.  However, I've found it to not be 100% accurate either.  At ground level it is fairly accurate but between 300-400 feet it can be way off.  If it's a bit windy I take the Air 3 vice the Mini 3 Pro as it seems to handle the winds so much better.  My Skydio 2+ doesn't do well when winds are over 23 mph.  
6-28 12:46
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-28 12:46
I always check the UAV Forecast App before I head out.  However, I've found it to not be 100% accurate either.  At ground level it is fairly accurate but between 300-400 feet it can be way off.  If it's a bit windy I take the Air 3 vice the Mini 3 Pro as it seems to handle the winds so much better.  My Skydio 2+ doesn't do well when winds are over 23 mph.

Wind speeds at altitude are practically impossible to predict - you just have to head out and make reasonable adjustments to the flight to get the best possible performance out of the drone. Ground speeds tend to be a good indicator though.  
6-28 14:49
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-28 14:49
Wind speeds at altitude are practically impossible to predict - you just have to head out and make reasonable adjustments to the flight to get the best possible performance out of the drone. Ground speeds tend to be a good indicator though.

I usually try to stay below 200 feet as that works out best for avoiding stronger winds between 350-400 feet.  
6-29 03:52
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-29 03:52
I usually try to stay below 200 feet as that works out best for avoiding stronger winds between 350-400 feet.

Max flight altitudes are kind of pointless in FPV unless diving or doing cinematic footage
6-29 04:07
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-29 04:07
Max flight altitudes are kind of pointless in FPV unless diving or doing cinematic footage

That's very true.  If I could fly FPV I'd be wanting to dive buildings, cliffs, etc.  
6-29 04:41
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-29 04:41
That's very true.  If I could fly FPV I'd be wanting to dive buildings, cliffs, etc.

That’s what I’m ultimately preparing for
6-29 07:31
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 6-27 23:41
That is blazing fast!

How was your weekend away?
6-30 00:14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-29 07:31
That’s what I’m ultimately preparing for

I'll be anxiously awaiting to see that footage.  
6-30 05:54
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-30 05:54
I'll be anxiously awaiting to see that footage.

I need to find the right location and the time to go there and do it. I feel ready for the flight so it won't be long.
6-30 06:09
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-30 06:09
I need to find the right location and the time to go there and do it. I feel ready for the flight so it won't be long.

Hopefully, you have access to an area where you can do this.  

Yesterday, about an hour before sunset, I was sitting on the stern of my boat when a drone came flying up the channel and then when it got close to me and my boat I identified it as an Inspire drone.  He did a 360 look around and then headed off.  First time I've see a "visiting" drone in almost 9 months.  It is odd as between myself and my 2 neighbors I'm the only one with drones so whoever was flying this Inspire had to of come from miles away.  Maybe, just maybe he was working out of a boat on the channel as that is a state waterway and not private property.  
6-30 06:23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-30 06:23
Hopefully, you have access to an area where you can do this.  

Yesterday, about an hour before sunset, I was sitting on the stern of my boat when a drone came flying up the channel and then when it got close to me and my boat I identified it as an Inspire drone.  He did a 360 look around and then headed off.  First time I've see a "visiting" drone in almost 9 months.  It is odd as between myself and my 2 neighbors I'm the only one with drones so whoever was flying this Inspire had to of come from miles away.  Maybe, just maybe he was working out of a boat on the channel as that is a state waterway and not private property.

Inspire's are professional camera drones so he or she is either doing a paid shoot or someone with a lot of spare cash to catch the best footage (if an Inspire 3). That said, professional pilots won't fly beyond VLOS as they would have a lot more to lose if caught and flying a drone of that weight miles from your position would be very reckless and frankly illegal.  
6-30 06:37
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-30 06:37
Inspire's are professional camera drones so he or she is either doing a paid shoot or someone with a lot of spare cash to catch the best footage (if an Inspire 3). That said, professional pilots won't fly beyond VLOS as they would have a lot more to lose if caught and flying a drone of that weight miles from your position would be very reckless and frankly illegal.

Could be he was flying illegally by not maintaining VLOS to practice for long flights. Drugs get delivered into state prisons and it is usually by a large drone such as the Inspire.  In any case I'll keep an eye out if it  ever returns and have my camera ready to get a picture of it.   

Another option is a really large investment group from California has been nosing around trying to buy a lot of acreage to develop on.  So maybe they hired this pilot to get some footage of the land for them to look at and maybe make an offer.  I've had numerous offers and one was insanely high and as usual I turned them down and will continue to do so.   
6-30 09:14
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-30 09:14
Could be he was flying illegally by not maintaining VLOS to practice for long flights. Drugs get delivered into state prisons and it is usually by a large drone such as the Inspire.  In any case I'll keep an eye out if it  ever returns and have my camera ready to get a picture of it.   

Another option is a really large investment group from California has been nosing around trying to buy a lot of acreage to develop on.  So maybe they hired this pilot to get some footage of the land for them to look at and maybe make an offer.  I've had numerous offers and one was insanely high and as usual I turned them down and will continue to do so.

Jesus H. - what has happened to the US mate. It's so sad to read things like that. May be Trump is right after all.
6-30 10:00
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 6-28 00:21
I was losing altitude in full throttle at that speed so I think that is about it's limit - may be a 50 degree pitch angle to keep the horizon just in view while maxing out the speed and starting off at 400' AGL with a another very fast gust carrying it may see 80mph but I think I've tested it enough in terms of max speed now. It's a little beast for sure.

Yeah, you probably did there.
6-30 22:19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 6-30 00:14
How was your weekend away?

It was superb.
We had tons of fun and a lot of luck with the weather.
Just a bit of a hangover now.
6-30 23:09
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 6-30 22:19
Yeah, you probably did there.

It was plenty fast enough
6-30 23:41
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 6-30 23:09
It was superb.
We had tons of fun and a lot of luck with the weather.
Just a bit of a hangover now.

Cool man - a good fry up will sort that
6-30 23:42
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 6-30 23:41
It was plenty fast enough

I would say so!
6-30 23:55
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 6-30 23:42
Cool man - a good fry up will sort that

Yeah, and a good night of sleep
6-30 23:56
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Although I would like to hit 80mph
6-30 23:58
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 6-30 23:56
Yeah, and a good night of sleep

You were on it man Nice!
6-30 23:59
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 6-30 23:58
Although I would like to hit 80mph

Hahahahahahaha. Good for chasing trains!
7-1 00:02
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 6-30 23:59
You were on it man  Nice!

I was for sure.
And the 8,5h of sleep last night were a real treat.
7-1 00:03
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules