crashed phantom 3 after 46 flights (over 6 hours)
2322 17 2015-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lukx
lvl.2

Poland

Well and the day came. Stupid mistake, stronger wind and here it is I crashed it. I'm totally destroyed mentally. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dooq98ap9pbnhee/DJI_0003.MP4?dl=0
It works, but gimbal got hit here and there so I'm not sure if all is good. I guess the damages wont allow fying it safely, especialy cracks under rotors screws.
I'm broke so I'm afraid how much fixing all this might cost, I guess the gimbal will give me final blow.

Here are the damages:

2015-9-17
Use props
QuikSilver15
lvl.2

United States

Sorry about the crash, been there myself. The gimbal/camera will hurt the most cost wise. Cost me around $400 just for part. Legs are pretty cheap (around $20 or so, and could probably be replaced by you). Screw cracks look like stress cracks to me....
2015-9-17
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

if it can fly...

i am pretty sure that you can fly it without too much worry.

obviously, you are going to have issues taking photos/ videos, but it should be ok to fly otherwise.

is it functional other than the gimbal?

as you can see, many others are flying with the cracks around the screws. ( as long as the motors are not loose/ hanging)
2015-9-17
Use props
stvnvicbc
lvl.2

Canada

Sorry bud, but like you said, the day comes!

Have you re-charged the battery and powered the bird up yet?  Honestly, it looks like your camera may be okay, other than the lens protector.  That ring will screw off and can be replaced, those are cheap.

The screw holes displaying cracks MAY have come from the force of impact, or as another poster mentioned could even be stress cracks from flying.  Unless you check the aircraft closely after every flight, there's no knowing for sure.  Others have simply glues those cracks, zip tied around that area or bought after market reinforcements for them (also cheap).

I suggest you take the lens cap off, fire it up in the house and see if the unit checks out, prolly need to run through a cal of the IMU and gimbal.  Check out the camera view under good lighting conditions see if that still works.

Landing gear is fairly cheap also.  Honestly, your damage pales in comparison to a lot of folks, it looks fairly salvageable to my eyes just from the pics.  Good luck, keep us posted.
2015-9-17
Use props
lukx
lvl.2

Poland

yes it powers up, cam is working , gimbal is moving, I'm just not sure if it's 100% okay. Does IMU test checks it ?
2015-9-17
Use props
CFM01
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Never changed mine but in picture 6 - looks like the UV filter! Should be replaceable, as the landing feet are- both are cheap to replace.
2015-9-17
Use props
lukx
lvl.2

Poland

But I am worried about the cracks, basically two rotor screws won't hold that good the rotor attached to the bottom plastic. Also is there any way to test gimbal if it's 100% okay?
2015-9-17
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

Being afraid of the dreaded stress cracks, I put a plastic zip tie around each arm right by the motor to make sure everything holds together.  I'm sure if you did this you would not have to worry about the cracks.
2015-9-17
Use props
stvnvicbc
lvl.2

Canada

lukx Posted at 2015-9-17 15:28
But I am worried about the cracks, basically two rotor screws won't hold that good the rotor attache ...

Those screws with the cracks are actually just to hold the arm together BEHIND the motor.  The motor mounting screws are the 4 arranged in a square and i believe are a smaller size (don't quote me on the size).

Like Fred1969 said, zip ties for those arms!  The landing gear/legs are only $12.00, the stock UV filter is $38.00, those prices right from the DJI site, might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere.  But basically, if your bird seems okay otherwise, you are back in the air for $50.00.  Maybe a couple bucks more if you buy glue and zip ties.

As for your gimbal, just leave the props off, fire the bird up in your house, and put the gimbal thru it's paces.  Do your IMU cal (it'll probably need it after a good solid bump) then do a gimbal calibration as well.  If the gimbal is going to fail, thats when it'll probably show up.
2015-9-17
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I wouldn't do any calibration until you check it out to see what its current condition is.  See if it fires up.  See if the gimbal works...does it stay level in all normal axis, etc.  You need to examine and THEN apply appropriate action.  Obviously, you'll need legs and UV filter, but I wouldn't order until I see whether any other action is going to be needed.  The gimbal is your biggest worry.  Check it out.  If it appears to work, do a cold IMU and follow that with a gimbal cal.
2015-9-17
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Do not calibrate a thing, test fly it, if it hovers nice then go get a new body and legs, transfer everything to them and count it as a lucky strike.
2015-9-17
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

P3 Body is pretty cheap too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phan ... hash=item463ea77d52

Overall doesn't look that bad. Your were lucky!
2015-9-17
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Just looked at your video.  Are you sure you were in GPS mode?  I never saw any attempt at stability.  
2015-9-17
Use props
lukx
lvl.2

Poland

AgOn excatly my tyinking after the crash. At first I couldnt believe my eyes. Yes I had problems with stability like crazy and as you saw it was windy. But even data flight shows gps mode and satelite was strong.
2015-9-17
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Ouch!  Been there.  Done that.  
One of my Phantoms before it got caught in a Vortex Ring State and bounced off my asphalt driveway.  The fortunate thing for me that I discovered by accident (pun intended) was the one undocumented feature of some 3D printed leg extenders.  They went flying off in all directions when it crashed and I thought at that moment I was witnessing $1300 turned to junk.  What astonished me was that the Phantom had ZERO damage other that a grass stain where it landed after bouncing off the asphalt!  Turns out the leg extenders acted like shock absorbers / crumple zones and took the brunt of the impact.  Since then I don't fly without them.

Originally I bought these snap-on/off extenders for these reasons:
> raise the gimbal to keep grass and debris away.
> ability to easily remove so Phantoms would fit in unmodified hard cases.
> interchangeable between different Phantoms

While I certainly can't say they will protect from me every possible crash scenario -- I don't fly without them!
EDIT:  added the Shapeways URL:
https://www.shapeways.com/designer/fusionimaging

223_0691_LegExtenders.JPG
2015-9-18
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

gil Posted at 2015-9-18 17:33
Ouch!  Been there.  Done that.  
One of my Phantoms before it got caught in a Vortex Ring State and  ...

hey Gil, where did you get the extenders for, what looks like, the P3 pro in the photo?

are they as stable to land on as the stock gear?

they could help in taking off and landing out in the rougher areas.
2015-9-21
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Flyhigh7887 Posted at 2015-9-21 07:45
hey Gil, where did you get the extenders for, what looks like, the P3 pro in the photo?

are they  ...

There are 3 different Phantoms in the photo.  From left to right:  Phantom 2 w/ H3-3D, Phantom 2 V+ and P3P.  I ordered the extenders from Shapeways.  There are a number of different types because every time DJI changed the legs the guy had to redesign to accommodate the different compass location.  The P3 required a completely different design because of the new legs and it also added a gimbal guard to the version I got.

There are also several designers but all the ones I ordered were from "Fusionimaging":
https://www.shapeways.com/designer/fusionimaging
2015-9-21
Use props
lukx
lvl.2

Poland

good news... I sent over all the data (flight data, video of the crash) to technical support and they said to analyse it. After a day I got email that it took less time than expected to analyse it for them and it wasn't my fault and after RMA I will get new replacement ! They named it: "Crash because of the drift" . DJI I LOVE YOU GUYS !
2015-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules