DJI Fail But I Still Lose
1385 11 2015-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marty
lvl.2
United States

After a product exchange because my first P3P (purchased in early June) would not link to the RC (among other issues), I received my replacement unit (thank you B&H) after a multi-week back order.

Things were looking good as the pre-first flight stuff was put in order.... updating firmware, getting the Nexus 7 II happening with Android and the latest pilot app. Looking good that is, until... uh-oh. no GPS.

More time spent messing around with typical troubleshooting (keep in mind that by this time I have been out my $1,250 for nearly two months without a single prop rotation) and some helpful input from this board.... alas, no GPS.

So... rather than go through another return (yes, I was a bit hesitant to go back upon B&H yet again) I decided that there was a very good chance that the GPS module was either bad or poorly connected..... so, off comes the lid. Also known as "bye-bye warranty" (for whatever THAT is worth in DJI-land).

Of course, this wouldn't be nearly as exciting if it didn't mean some added expense along the way.... so I purchased a replacement GPS module, and a compass for good measure, just in case. I really want to do this RIGHT after all.

GPS module replaced... P3P is still blind as a bat so far as satellites are concerned.

Now fully out of my depth, I seek an independent, authorized repair center. If this story has a silver lining, it is ATKDrones in SLC, UT. Jim was as informative and gracious as can be. But no level of courtesy could change the fact that I was the proud owner of a dead motherboard.

So.... for those of you keeping score at home, I'll be in the neighborhood of $1,800 with a total of 00:00:00 flight time.

Call this a rant.... but if anyone has any notions of any possible recourse on DJI for the cost of the board, I'm all ears. I could have sliced the chopper body to ribbons with a Dremel Tool and the fact that the board was dead had absolutely nothing to do with my opening of the shell.

Reading that last bit back even makes ME laugh..... I know I just need to bite the bullet on this. I suppose if the bullet happens to be manufactured by DJI, there's little possibility of it actually going off.

Okay... pity-party concluded. How's the flying going for everyone? If your footage catches a chopper on the ground, it's probably me.

2015-9-18
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

You sound like the three legged dog named Lucky!

Sorry to hear you're having issues. If the DJI authorized repair station ATK Drones diagnosed the main board was bad, I'd hit DJI up and ask for reimbursement.

I've had vehicles die outside the factory warranty period of 3 year 36,000 miles, to be told that I needed to pay for diagnostic to find out that a part that was covered by the 100,000 emission warranty be at fault. Bitch enough and they ate the entire cost.
2015-9-18
Use props
mrapl1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3681 ft
United States

Marty...Dude....
     Why did you not just sent it back to B&H again...? It's still new, go back with it, don't open it up... Ugh...  Now ironically I had the same problem as you, the first one they had shipped me would also not lock on to the satellites, so after a couple of days of forum searching and troubleshooting I said to myself, it's going back, so I returned it to the Manhattan store and the poor guy in the returns department, not knowing much about these things because of their relative newness, asked me some simple questions and then asked me what I wanted to do, to which I replied, thank you sir, may I have another...? No problem, they happily provided me with another and I left satisfied. Now before I got on the bus to go back to Jersey, I quickly tested it over at my best friends apartment just to make sure another trip back to the store for a second round wasn't in order, it wasn't, it locked on, this one works. Now trust me, for the money I spent, I would have easily gone back and depleted B&H of their entire stock of these thing just to find a good one, also, they are very good about returning defective merchandise and have no problems with it as long as you can convince them because they understand that you just spent allot of good money for this product and have every expectation that it should work as advertised.      So you have bit the bullet to this point, what will you do next...? If as you say it's the motherboard, will you take a shot and replace it...?

2015-9-18
Use props
marty
lvl.2
United States

mrapl1 Posted at 2015-9-18 10:49
Marty...Dude....
     Why did you not just sent it back to B&H again...? It's still new, go back wit ...

gregg1r and mrapl1... good to know there are sympathetic ears out there.

The lesson is of course, I should have sent the bird back to B&H, and I'm sure it would have been replaced. I've used B&H for cameras, post-production stuff, audio gear... they are at the opposite end of the spectrum from DJI. But to be fair, can you imagine being DJI and having to deal with some of their customers who tear open their chopper and zoom skyward without so much as a glance to the manual? In defense of DJI, you have to draw the line somewhere.

But I am going to plead my case to them. I am having ATKDrones replace the board, so I'll be pleading after-the-fact which may or may not strengthen my case... and Jim of ATKDrones has pledged to do whatever he can to support my claim. The bottom line is, I would really like to get flying and doing something with this thing.

The added expense is completely my own doing...  in the case of the GPS, I made a calculated risk of buying a new module and thinking the swap would solve the problem. 9 times out of 10, I think that would be the case..... so in addition to being the three-legged dog named Lucky, I'm a "10" as well!

Lessons learned.... B&H great, ATKDrones really great, DJI... jury still out, my patience and luck..... let's just say that Lotto is probably not in the cards for me nowadays.
2015-9-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

"RTFM"
Yeah, cause = "How can you have any pudding, if you don't eat your meat?"
http://www.keepbusy.net/mobile/guy-tries-out-new-rc-helicopter.mp4
We have trees that need trim.

RedHotPoker

2015-9-18
Use props
marty
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-18 15:58
"RTFM"
Yeah, cause = "How can you have any pudding, if you don't eat your meat?"

Yeah, I really enjoyed the chapter, "Your Motherboard Is Dead".
2015-9-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Sorry to hear of your woes, with the Phantom 3.
Hopefully a fix from @DJI is Already on its way.

RedHotPoker

2015-9-18
Use props
marty
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-18 18:39
Sorry to hear of your woes, with the Phantom 3.
Hopefully a fix from @DJI is Already on its way.

I'll be flying soon.

Participants like yourself and others on this board are a great resource. I do a lot of technical work with both hardware and software, and nothing beats a vibrant user forum to help resolve issues. Reading the manual is still essential, but hearing anecdotal evidence from the guys in the trenches can't be replaced.

I appreciate your participation RHP..... almost as much as your cool username
2015-9-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

@marty,
Hey thanks man. That was very kind of you to say.
There are many here with far more experience and Phantom knowledge than I have.
Although it is nice to get thanks, for trying to help others get flying without any problems or concerns, of falling from the sky.
Yes, this @DJI forum is a great resource, with a vast amount of BRIGHT Phantom pilots, with plenty of smarts.
Not to forget mention of the awesome @DJI staff and support team, we are blessed with. ;-)

Hopefully the next FirmWare update, will be the big leap forward, for those with Phantom glitches.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

When I flew my Phantom 3 Pro' today, I had no ill concieved ideas or any random fears.
Ah, only considering that my brilliant drone would fly, just as it had, every time, that I've had the pleasure of her company.

I thought about some of you, forum members here, who can't or won't fly, out of fear or anxiety of the worst possible outcome.
The higher I took her up, the better it felt. The farther away I could send her, all the more reason to smile.
This whole DJI world and extended family have been awesome to me, right from the First Pilot Experience event, on to today.

It's been a blast, an incredible ride, & an awful lot of fun. Especialy with meeting some new friends along the way.
So give yourselves a firm pat on the back, for a job well done. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-9-19
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

Dude, you openly admitted right here on DJI's own forum site that you cracked open the bird so they have it on record. They want users to send in their birds if there are issues and they will evaluate and repair as needed. Once you have been inside you cant expect warranty coverage. They may or may not cover you now but you can still ask. Good luck. Lesson to everyone, if it doesn't work right within the warranty period send it in despite the pain of being without for awhile.
2015-9-20
Use props
marty
lvl.2
United States

P3PO Posted at 2015-9-20 05:30
Dude, you openly admitted right here on DJI's own forum site that you cracked open the bird so they  ...

Rats, my scam is finished.

I think I've explained my scenario pretty well....  if there is an "admission" to be made, it would be from DJI regarding their dismal QC.

Yeah, Dude... I popped the shell. Calculated risk and I lost. I get it. The point of this post is pretty much to affirm your point about warranty, but save the snark.  If someone gets a new bird and their GPS does not function, maybe they will benefit from this thread.
2015-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules