Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P2 Batteries not auto discharging
984 8 2015-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kleake1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

My P2 was sent off for repair after a crash in early July.  At the time my batteries were charged and ready to fly, but I didn't get to use them.  Since the quad crashed and I sent it to DJI I had no way to discharge the batteries.  Figuring they would auto discharge after 10 days as the firmware is supposed to do, I didn't worry too much about it.  Finally 10 weeks later I get a message from DJI that my P2 is fixed and coming back so I figure I'll get my other equipment out and ready.  Well,,, the P2 batteries are still fully charged...............   So,,,, this concerns me.  10 weeks on a full charge likely didn't do them any favors, but why didn't they discharge?  My P2 isn't here for a couple more days so I don't have any way to check their status yet.
2015-9-18
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

How old are your smart batteries ?
Have they ever auto-discharged ?
The original ones required a firmware update to enable auto-discharge.
Also worth noting that if you press the button to check the charge it resets the 10 day timer.
The V3 P2 came with batteries that have the firmware update already done and should auto-discharge by themselves.
More info on model and firmware needed, but I know you cant do that until you have your Phantom back
2015-9-18
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

They were all purchased in December of last year and had all the firmware updates done, plus any after that up until July.  I remember verifying the firmware versions at the time.   They have never auto discharged, however they were used on a regular basis and i don't think they ever sat for 10 days without use.  I did press the button on one of them after about 2 weeks just to see, but didn't touch the other one.  They sat for another 8 weeks after that and neither discharged.
2015-9-18
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1858852 ft
Greece

You can power on your batteries and then let them after 10 min to  auto switch off. Do it once  every 8-10  days.
However, if your batteries don't look like balloon are ok to flight .
When you get your bird back do a fully discharge with out the propellers on board.
2015-9-19
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

nico_mav@hotmai Posted at 2015-9-19 12:34
You can power on your batteries and then let them after 10 min to  auto switch off. Do it once  ever ...

Sorry it's not really a good idea to try to run the batteries down with the props off and the bird sitting still. The props are needed to help cool the bird and so is movement so air flows through the vents, to many issues with burning out the wifi transmitter by overheating. Doesn't help the Naza module and main board either. Best to fly her to run down the battery.
2015-10-4
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Good advice Roy, I agree.
2015-10-4
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Greece

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-10-4 12:04
Sorry it's not really a good idea to try to run the batteries down with the props off and the bird  ...

I never burn mine! I never said at full speed. Do you know someone who has burn his motors with this method?
2015-10-5
Use props
nordic22222
lvl.1

Sweden

nico_mav@hotmai Posted at 2015-10-6 09:13
I never burn mine! I never said at full speed. Do you know someone who has burn his motors with th ...

It's not the engines, the allready poorly mounted WIFI module and the NAZA can burn. Esp. as you bird ages, the poorly applied cooling paste will be worse and worse, just like in your computer. But, since they've been esp. bad at applying the paste for some reason, it goes sooner.

Unless you remount WIFI module and NAZA, with new paste, don't let your bird run on for longer periods, if it aint flying as a method to discharge. Go for a hover instead.
2015-10-6
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Greece

nordic22222@yah Posted at 2015-10-6 11:23
It's not the engines, the allready poorly mounted WIFI module and the NAZA can burn. Esp. as you b ...

I really don't understand that, however I will have it on my mind.
Thank you for the tip.
2015-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules