2973 13 2015-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frandenr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4026 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was flying my Phantom 3 in Alexander Deussen Park, a 320 acre park in the suburbs of Houston, Texas, when a police car pulled up to me, quite fast, rolled down his window and said, "You can't fly that thing in here!" I had just launched, so I immediately landed and said, "really?" As I was putting the quad copter away the officer said I should go to a park somewhere on the North Belt: I didn't understand his directions.
I respectfully asked the officer if he could tell me what local law prohibited me from flying in this public park, as I thought he was mistaken. He avoided answering the question and said, "you need to check with the park office." I then said, "Oh, so it's a park rule that I can't fly in here?" He again did not answer the question and said, "You are welcome to check with the park office, I just know you cannot fly  that, What do you call that thing?, in here."
I told the officer that we hobbyist don't like the negative connotation that a frantic media associates with drones, which are usually military U.A.Vs with weapons. I pointed out the my Phantom just has a camera.
He said, "Oh yea, a drone.", Then he left.
I have been flying in this park for over a year. I always come on a weekday, when almost no one is here. I always choose an empty field or open water, to fly over.
I have read Texas state law and it says that one can fly a U.A.V. in a public place as long as local law does not prohibit such flights. I am not a lawyer, but I do believe that the officer was mistaken and acted from negative reports he has heard on the evening news. Several other officers have stopped to talk with me and have been very curious about the Phantom. I even let one officer fly the Phantom.
A law officer should know what statute he is enforcing, before he forces me to stop what I believe to be a legal activity.
I am afraid that this type of arbitrary enforcement is going to become the norm, as the media sensationalizes bogus reports of airport near misses. Sure, there is some misuse, but it's not out of control and it's still legal.
A responsible hobbyist.
Dennis Frantz
2015-9-18
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

It is quite common for cities to have local laws preventing any aircraft from flying below a certain altitude over a public park.

Those laws were made long before quad copters and quads count as aircraft.

Check the ordinances for public parks to see if your city has that law.
2015-9-18
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I commend your restrained response. Did you go to the PD and file a complaint? (I am a retired chief of police). Some cops are misinformed; the only way to correct it is to take the issue upstairs (never challenge a cop's authority in the field).
2015-9-18
Use props
frandenr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-9-18 16:11
It is quite common for cities to have local laws preventing any aircraft from flying below a certain ...

I have had at least 3 other officers tell me that they knew of no law prohibiting flight within the park. As I stated in my post, one officer even flew took the Phantom for a flight, and I have it on video.
2015-9-18
Use props
frandenr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-9-18 16:19
I commend your restrained response. Did you go to the PD and file a complaint? (I am a retired chief ...

I would never disobey or disrespect an officer in the field. I do have respect for the law and admire anyone who would choose law enforcement as a career in this day and age. It just happen, so I have not had time to check with anyone else. Thanks for your suggestion.
2015-9-18
Use props
timmer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30502 ft
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-9-18 16:19
I commend your restrained response. Did you go to the PD and file a complaint? (I am a retired chief ...

Well done!
2015-9-18
Use props
frandenr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-9-18 16:32
So you didn't bother to look at the local ordinances regarding aircraft altitude restrictions over ...

If you would have read more carefully, you would have seen that the name of the city is in the post. I will never understand why there is always someone out there who is ready to jump into a discussion and be rude. I don't need or want help from someone like you.
2015-9-18
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

frandenr@dennis Posted at 2015-9-18 17:42
If you would have read more carefully, you would have seen that the name of the city is in the pos ...

There is no discussion to jump into. It is you ranting about not being able to handle your own problems.

I did look up the ordinances, and Houston does not have an altitude restriction over public parks, so that does not apply to you in this case. I was suggesting you to check it to see if it did because it does apply to a lot of people.

Also there is no park rule against it either.

Park rules

Call them (281-454-6076) and ask them to confirm they have amended the rules to prohibit quads or not.

Or just waste time ranting on here.
2015-9-18
Use props
iceman58
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9016 ft
United States

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-9-18 16:32
So you didn't bother to look at the local ordinances regarding aircraft altitude restrictions over ...

I personally didn't see him ranting, you on the other hand were being rude and disrespectful. He was just simply stating what he had experienced and you had to jump in with the name calling!
2015-9-18
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

iceman58 Posted at 2015-9-18 19:03
I personally didn't see him ranting, you on the other hand were being rude and disrespectful. He w ...

I think you are being rude and disrespectful. See how you don't care either?

There was no name calling so quit making stuff up.

If a cop tells you to call the park ranger to ask if what you are doing is breaking the rules because he thinks it is, it is ranting to come on here to complain about it instead of making the call.
2015-9-18
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

I had 2 police pull up when I was flying. They were just so amazed at the technology.., and had no clue about the laws.., nor did they try and enforce anything.
They simply admired the Phantom's capabilities, and left afterwards telling me to have a good day. Ahh, I love Australia.
2015-9-18
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I'm not one that openly questions law enforcement when I don't know, but if I'm informed about a subject, and have printed literature affirming my position, I don't roll over.

I have been stopped by NPS Rangers near Great Falls Park. I had a copy of the directive with me. I listen to what they have to say, then produce the directive and tell them to call their supervisor, as the directive is very clear on what is or isn't allowed.  

In your case, you need to print all relevant park rules making sure to also include the URL. Forewarned is forearmed. Making a scene is a sure way to make someones naughty list and every time you're seen, you'll get a visit. If you still have negative interactions, depending on state law, you might record the conversation to bolster your case. The other thing is that you might want to see if the police officer is open to viewing your video recording, and have him there when you fly. Showing that you know the rules and fly responsibly goes a long way.

2015-9-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Most importantly, as LICENSED PILOT says, do not question the cop's authority in the field.
2015-9-18
Use props
ksunsingh
lvl.2

United States

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-9-19 07:30
I think you are being rude and disrespectful. See how you don't care either?

There was no name ca ...

*sigh* cause internet
2015-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules