992 4 2015-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
matt.walker.ncl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 174885 ft
United Kingdom

Hello,

First post here - I'm hoping I can contribute in future, but as a very new operator I dont think I have much to offer beyond opinion...

I've started on my RPQs course, ground school aspect was completed yesterday but still need my assessment before I can apply to CAA.
Basically I wanted to ask if anyone can recommend 'techniques' or approaches to improving ability rather than just 'flying about'.

I've used GPS flying 100% of the time (unless of signal loss) but have been told I need to be proficient in another mode as I will be tested
on that. I've been out on private land to follow contours of the surrounding area and have flown across and around cones/ markers and held
position in ATTI - all very different in the winds we have up here.

Has anyone found anything particularly helpful to improve their operations? I will predominantly be using the Phantom for aerial footage
so will have pretty steady movements and tracking shots but I'd like to be ahead of my own plans, if that makes sense.

Apologies for the war and peace post!!

Thanks all.
2015-9-19
Use props
Paniza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

I improved skills with these guys:

http://www.phoenix-sim.com/
http://www.realflight.com/products/ (challenges with FPV were very useful for filming skills).

As well as some tiny cheap micro quadcopter.

When I got my Phantom, I was pretty confident right out of the bat.

Cheers.
------------------------------------------------   Signature    --------------------------------------------
If you are going to buy DJI products and want to help me, please use this link: BuyDJI.ca
------------------------------------------------   Signature    --------------------------------------------
2015-9-19
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting post, although not 100% sure what your accronyms stand for, but I take it you wish to fly commercially in UK and these are some of the steps you need to take?

I have had my P3P for 3 months, have racked up 120 flights and flown about 65 miles.  I mainly concentrate on Stills Photography.
But almost all  my flights are in GPS, apart from my own ATTI training, and more recently POI.  

When in ATTI, for me the control reversal when flying towards yourself is the most challenging part of flying, my solution is usually to fly it backwards towards me to avoid this control reversal situation, so I would suggest you need to get happy with flying towards yourself using GPS to start with, and when you are confident enough, try it in ATTI.  I am sure that you will be tested on these skills as you progress.

Could you maybe post a link to the course or syllabus you are following.  Thank you.
BTW I am in Norfolk, although just returned from flying in the Lake District.  Was awesome.
2015-9-19
Use props
matt.walker.ncl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 174885 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks both for your responses - I will definitely look into those links Paniza.

Liningiv - I've only got a few hours flight, mostly under GPS and I fully agree with what you're saying about flying toward yourself, I'm getting more used to that though -  too much time on computer games perhaps...?

Regarding the course, it's the RPQs course led by Resource Training group - http://www.resourcegroup.co.uk/w ... -aviation-training/

It must be amazing flying in the lakes, I'm over there with my stills camera as often as possible!
2015-9-23
Use props
Ash
New
United Kingdom

matt.walker.ncl Posted at 2015-9-23 22:33
Thanks both for your responses - I will definitely look into those links Paniza.

Liningiv - I've on ...

Hi Matt. I have been thinking of doing the course with the Resource group. I am not a quick learner unfortunately. May I ask if the course is straight forward to accomplish. Is it very mind testing? I am not too worried about flying and actual practical tests, its just the theory side of the course. Thanks any help or tips would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou
2015-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules