P3P Does IPad mini reqire cellular service?
6642 20 2015-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mslone
New

United States

hello, I have a question, it may be dumb but I can't seem to find a clear answer....

I just purchased the Phantom 3 Professional and I have an I Phn 5 so my phn will not work... I hate to get a new phone when this one works great.... I was considering just getting a used or new IPad Mini to have a larger screen but my question is if I buy one new or used do I have to have a data plan and cellular tied to it and all that jazz.....? Or can I just get the iPad and download the pilot app through wifi at home and then use it with my drone? I'd like to have a dedicated iPad for the drone but don't want to add another monthly bill in the mix to just fly my drone...?

Can I get some clarification so I can make my desion?

Thanks!!!
Michael
2015-9-19
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

I use a IPad Mini 2 WIFI only model. It doesn't have GPS so I purchased a Garmin GLO that connects through Bluetooth with the IPad Mini 2.  So with the Garmin GLO all the intelligent flight modes that require a operator GPS location works great including follow me, etc.  I have run it with the DJI GO and AutoPilot APPS.
2015-9-19
Use props
mslone
New

United States

BayArea99 Posted at 2015-9-19 22:44
I use a IPad Mini 2 WIFI only model. It doesn't have GPS so I purchased a Garmin GLO that connects t ...

I will just be using this for my real estate photography biz, so will not need follow me... Etc

More of an up take some pics and a little video of property and done...

Not planning to make any epic Ariel films etc...

So what should I get for monitor? You telling me that I can buy a I pad mini and download the Pilot app at home and then go fly anywhere with my P3P with no data or service as a dead monitor just fine? The return to home and Drone Gps is managed in drone??? Is that correct?
2015-9-19
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

mslone Posted at 2015-9-19 20:57
I will just be using this for my real estate photography biz, so will not need follow me... Etc

Yes you can just get a iPad mini2 and be fine.
The return to home and GPS is done in the Phantom.
2015-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Definitely  you don't need a cellular service turned on, to utilize the device to fly your Phantom 3.
But only the cellular versions of iPad have GPS. IF YOU DON't need the ground station features, then you should be good to go.

Have fun, happy landings.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-19
Use props
UKPhantom 3
New

United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-20 07:29
Definitely  you don't need a cellular service turned on, to utilize the device to fly your Phantom 3 ...

I use an iPad mini retina (V2), Wi-Fi only and hence no GPS and so far it works fine. I have been assuming that there is a GPS receiver in the Phantom controller as well as the Phantom itself. I haven't tried the new features yet.
2015-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hi @UKPhantom 3,
Unfortunately, to enjoy the new features, you will need an iPad with Cellular ability, to have the built in GPS module.
Even though we don't have to pay for any cellular service, to ulilize this GPS functionality.
Yes you can fly your Phantom 3 just fine without it, but for the groundstation features to work, the GPS iPad is a required must.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-19
Use props
deanO Aussie
lvl.2
Australia

Can I hook my mini 3 to my phone a Samsung s6 via Bluetooth and use that as my gps for follow me?
2015-9-20
Use props
deanO Aussie
lvl.2
Australia

Can I hook my mini 3 to my phone a Samsung s6 via Bluetooth and use that as my gps for follow me?
2015-9-20
Use props
deanO Aussie
lvl.2
Australia

Can I use my Samsung s6 as a gps hooked up to my iPad mini 3 set up via Bluetooth?
2015-9-20
Use props
-=RaM=-
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I can use all the new features except follow me with no GPS, I have a Wifi only iPad Mini 2.
2015-9-20
Use props
quantor13
lvl.1

Germany

Most Important is: You are in need of an iPad Mini 2/3/4 or an iPad Air / Air 2 as minimum requirement for the DJI GO App... A mini 1 or IPad 1/2/3/4 will not work.... You don't need GPS as long as you don't want to use the extended flight modes.... You can cache the maps at home and then use it on site... But for Real-Estate Photography I think using the (gps based) POI mode would be very interesting for your customers... And a used Mini 2 with Cellular/Gps isn't that expensive anymore...
2015-9-20
Use props
mslone
New

United States

quantor13 Posted at 2015-9-20 06:14
Most Important is: You are in need of an iPad Mini 2/3/4 or an iPad Air / Air 2 as minimum requireme ...

So if I was to upgrade to a new IPhone 6 Plus with cellular all options and features are available to me?
2015-9-20
Use props
SkySurfer
lvl.2

United States

mslone Posted at 2015-9-20 14:17
So if I was to upgrade to a new IPhone 6 Plus with cellular all options and features are available ...

Yes
Making sure I was clear

2015-9-20
Use props
louie.bellaphot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 389741 ft

United States

SkySurfer Posted at 2015-9-20 17:41
Yes
Making sure I was clear

""I can use all the new features except follow me with no GPS, I have a Wifi only iPad Mini 2.""

The above post is what I thought too.  You just need Cell/GPS for follow me.  I use the iPad mini 2 wifi and blue tooth from my iphone for the maps.  Works perfect.
2015-9-20
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

@mslone,

i would recommend an ipad mini 4 or ipad air 2 both with cellular even you do not use cellular service.

Some resons why you should buy one of theese:

1) all mentioned ipad devices with cellular has an integrated gps plus barometer inside.
2) WiFi only Models does not have GPS Chip on Board !
3) iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 4 do have Glonass Chip also included!
4) if you want to use Follow from Autoflightlogic.com there is an Option to use Barometer and dynamic Altitude !

So i would buy one of that ones

Mike
2015-9-20
Use props
rhayhurst
lvl.2
Flight distance : 904442 ft
United States

m.friedl@a1.net Posted at 2015-9-20 21:23
@mslone,

i would recommend an ipad mini 4 or ipad air 2 both with cellular even you do not use cell ...

I was out yesterday with my P3 and iPad Mini 2 (iOs 9.0) and the screen refresh just became worthless.  I've had an issue with this in the past on a very hot day, but the weather was moderate yesterday and this time, the screen refresh was the worst I had encountered.   

1) Can I modify 'Settings' to improve this.
2) Should i try to revert back to iOs8?

Thanks.
2015-9-21
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Austria

Had same problem with overheating when i had the Sunshield over the Tablet for sunprotection for the screen.

Remove the Shield and the Heatproblem is resolved for 90% - also switch Hardwaredecoding to ON in Settings of DJI Go !

1) and 2) Before revert to IOS 8 i would try this.

Mike
2015-9-21
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-20 02:11
Hi @UKPhantom 3,
Unfortunately, to enjoy the new features, you will need an iPad with Cellular abili ...

I have an iPad Min 2 WIFI only and I can use waypoints, and POI but I cannot use follow me nor do I have a need to (at least at this time.)   I download my map while connected to wifi.  And I use my phone's Hot spot to download maps to my iPad Mini 2.

You don't need the cellular version unless you want the follow me function..
2015-9-21
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Austria

Well, after this Thread i would do the Step back to 8.4.1

Take a Look here: http://forum.dji.com/thread-31763-1-1.html

Mike
2015-9-21
Use props
mslone
New

United States

I decided to just go ahead and upgrade my I phone 5 to the new I phone 6S Plus... Hopefully this solves all  issues... Cheers
2015-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules