Do you remove props?
3173 20 2015-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joepilly2
lvl.1

United States

What are you guys doing between flights with your props?

In the youtube videos, it seems as though everyone takes them off after flying and/or before putting it away into a case.

Many cases seem to only hold the P3 without the props on?  

Are we suposed to be taking them off and on so much? The hub is only plastic. It will wear out inside.

Is there a case or backpack that holds the p3 with the props on?

Is it bad to leave them on?

What is the wrench for if we are only to put them on finger tight?

My P3A arrives tomorrow!

Thanks!!!
2015-9-20
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

If I'm traveling, I leave them on.
2015-9-20
Use props
NealR
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I take them off after I've finished. The drone during downtime, sits in the hardshell backpack. As for the wrench, I only every finger tighten them, but since they're self-tightening, sometimes after a flight I use the wrench to undo them as they've tightened during the flying time.
2015-9-20
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

I have the micro raptor case and I always leave them on
2015-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It's all part of the kit set up. Applying the rotor props...removing those after flight.
Takes all of one minute. In a Hurry? Take a deep breath and relax. ;-)

Rinse and repeat. Always have fun.

RedHotPoker

2015-9-20
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Like you said, taking them off and putting them on will stress the threads in the plastic hub.  I rarely take them off, and never for storage or transport.  Most cases seem to handle the props just fine when attached.  I also never use the wrench.  With the proper grip, you can remove the prop with one hand, no wrench, even after they've been on a long time.  Just be absolutely SURE that you are turning the correct direction.  Going the wrong way when they are tight will stress the threads even more.
2015-9-20
Use props
joepilly2
lvl.1

United States

We seem to be getting some difference of opinion of taking them off or just leaving them on....lol.   
2015-9-20
Use props
ryanbattey
lvl.2

United States

I leave mine on haven't  had any problems  so far. im2600  hardcase
2015-9-20
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

ryanbattey Posted at 2015-9-20 16:10
I leave mine on haven't  had any problems  so far. im2600  hardcase

I have never taken them off - nice when you have a hard case that is designed to leave the props on ..
2015-9-20
Use props
zorn.matthew
New

United States

Carbon fiber props
2015-9-20
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

taking off most of the times
2015-9-20
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I leave mine on and if only driving around town just throw it in the back of the car ready to fly.   
2015-9-21
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

I take them off as you get to inspect the props and the prop hubs before each flight before putting them on.
2015-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Using the DJI branded hard shell back pack, there is no room for attached props, so off they come. ;-)

They cost less than $10 for a pair. So I am Not too concerned about wear and tear.
I don't torque them down, so the included prop wrench is rarely, if ever used. But they must be removed after I fly.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-21
Use props
Jeff_L
lvl.1

United States

Mine come off because I store my P3 in the DJI hard shell backpack case and they don't fit when installed. If they did fit, I probably wouldn't take them off. I agree that installing and removing could cause wear and tear, but if you're careful, that risk is minimized. I also like to inspect them before installing. Props are cheap, so if I see a warp or excess ing chipping, then I replace.
2015-9-21
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

I use the DJI hard shell case and I have to take them off when done flying.  Hand tighten and I have never used the wrench, I almost said "what wrench?" but then I remembered that it was in the case still in  the plastic bag it came in.  I ordered extra props so I have four sets but I am still using the first set of props.
2015-9-21
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

In my case there's room for my P3P with the proppellers mounted. So I always leave them on.
2015-9-21
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

I take them off.  It is also a safety consideration when updating or otherwise adjusting the bird on the ground.  A motor with no props cannot accidentally fly away (or at you).

$.02
2015-9-21
Use props
trezlaflip
New

Canada

I take mine off after every flight as I feel safer knowing the thing won't start flying on it's own when in the house. Very unlikely this would ever happen but you just never know......the weirdest things can happen.. I also think it's a good habit to remove them, this way when reinstalling, you can insure they are on tight and visually inspect them for any damage before taking off.
2015-9-21
Use props
jeffandbobbe
lvl.1

United States

I store mine in a Microraptor case with the blades on.  I remove them before updating firmware which is good common sense.
2015-9-21
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

I have a hard shell case "Nanuk" although I can leave them on, I don't. The props are made of polymer and get bent with the downforce of the foam and given the right heat condition in the car they could stay bent.  Since it only takes 30 seconds to take them off and put them on, I rather take them off.

-Dog
2015-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules