1560 12 2015-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TravisSRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18326348 ft
  • >>>
United States

So back in the spring I had an inspire fall out of the sky and land in a river.  The bird was never recovered and DJI offered to sell me a replacement at 50% off.  I was frustrated but understood DJI's position as I was unable to send them a damaged aircraft.  While waiting on DJI to decide what to do I bought a replacement Inspire and have been using it since then.  When DJI sent the replacement to me it remained as my backup aircraft until this week.  I decided that I would rotate this one into my primary Inspire role to save wear and tear on the other one.  Today on maybe the 9th or 10th flight ever (on current firmware and app) I was shooting still images for a real estate listing.  As always I checked the QD prop mounts prior to instaling the props and observed no cracks or other damage.  Checked that I had a fully charged battery, calibrated the compass and took off.  Approximately 7 minutes into the flight as I was completing the job I flew up to above 200' to maintain visual LOS as I walked around the house and prepared to land in the driveway.  While in a hover the bird lurched forward and began a death spiral.  I saw and heard what was happening and began giving the aircraft full up throttle in an attemp to stabilize it.  This seemed to slow its decent but the spiral continued.  I hit the lower landing gear button in an attempt to save the camera and the bird then crashed through several small trees landing on the belly.  The gear were still extending as it came to rest.  The props were all four still intact and spinning so I gave a CSC to stop the motors.  The camera and mounting plate popped off but seem undamaged.  Two of the QD mounts were bent and broke as I uninstalled the props.  I haven't a clue what caused this and hope DJI will do the right thing and replace this with a brand new aircraft.  And hopefully fast as I have a large video shoot in 3 weeks halfway across the country and need both Inspires and my S900 in full working condition.  I am also now very nervous about installing the X5 Camera that I have on pre-order onto a bird that I have watched fall from the sky two times now (different aircraft but same result).  I am attaching a video I took of my flight log and will be contacting DJI tech support first thing tomorrow!  It seems to have trouble transforming now and i can hear something rattling around in the front right motor when looking at the drone from the front..  Any help from anyone from DJI would be greatly appreciated!  Below is a link to the video from my flight log.  If you want to skip straight to the crash jump to about 6:55

2015-9-20
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

sorry for your accident.
That looked terrible on the screen.
Any ideas of what happened?
2015-9-20
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

I hate to hear that and your second one? Gezzz
2015-9-20
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Can I have your e-mail, and DJI ID please.
We also will need you to synchronize your flight records, and upload your flight data to the dropbox, so our data analysis team can find out the reason of the crash
Thanks
2015-9-21
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-21 04:28
We also will need you to synchronize your flight records, ...

Hey Tim, my email for DJI account is travissrt@gmail.com and I synchronized the flight records immediately after the crash.  Where do I find my DJI Id?
2015-9-21
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Travis, I am glad no one was hurt and that you were able to recover your aircraft. BY any chance, do you have a video of it happening?
2015-9-21
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

teamnest1 Posted at 2015-9-21 21:21
Travis, I am glad no one was hurt and that you were able to recover your aircraft. BY any chance, do ...

I don't have video as I was just doing a quick external shoot for a real estate listing.  I wasn't running video on the aircraft and don't normally set up a ground camera to film the aircraft.
2015-9-21
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-21 16:28
We also will need you to synchronize your flight records, ...

Tim I have uploaded the onboard flight logs to we transfer at the request of online support.  If you have an email address I can send you the link.
2015-9-21
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So I got in touch with DJI L.A. and they gave me an escalated (expedited I hope) RMA.  They sent me a 2-day FedEx label and I shipped it back to them yesterday for repair or replacement.  They were very nice and understanding so I hope for the best on this one!
2015-9-22
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Sorry to hear that friend, i hope DJI replaces that bird for a new one, good luck!!
2015-9-22
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

leoamartinez@gm Posted at 2015-9-22 20:10
Sorry to hear that friend, i hope DJI replaces that bird for a new one, good luck!!

Well I got a shipping notice yesterday saying my aircraft had been repaired and is being shipped back.  I haven't heard any details but hope to do so.  They shipped it 2-day FedEx so it should be here tomorrow or Thursday.
2015-9-29
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-9-29 09:08
Well I got a shipping notice yesterday saying my aircraft had been repaired and is being shipped b ...

Mine arrived in miami yesterday, will have it with me on saturday...
2015-9-29
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-9-29 09:08
Well I got a shipping notice yesterday saying my aircraft had been repaired and is being shipped b ...

Mine arrived in miami yesterday, will have it with me on saturday...
2015-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules