Newbie advice
993 13 2014-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikegil
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32730 ft
United Kingdom

hi all, have just bit the bullet,after weeks of should I shouldn i,and ordered a P2V+ direct from DJI, have been reading back through forum threads to get a good understanding of the basics and so far would I be right in what I need to do
1: read manual
2: read manual again, also consensus seems to be manual isn't as informative as could be, is there any other form of reference I should read?
3: it will be v3, seems to be a lot of conflict about upgrading should I or leave as is?
4: calibrate everything.
5: fly in NAZA mode and get accustomed to the return to home feature
Also I will be setting up on a Mac, what operating system do I need to be running? And can I use an iPad air to for FPV? Will the bracket supplied allow to fit IPad A2?
Cheers in advance and any other advice will be appreciated
Mike
2014-12-14
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

1) Download and read the OnLineManual http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/download the one you get in the box is crap.
2)  There is a lot of info (I bet you don't read it all twice)
3)  I flew first then updated that way I would know if I had messed something up.
4) Mine was OK out the box, you might want to if you have problems.
5) Again its up to you, but you might want to leave it in Phantom mode sw1 upper even when you enable NAZA mode until you get used to it.

Thats my 2 cent - Enjoy it really is fun.....
2014-12-14
Use props
mh
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I too am a newbie and this worked for me...

Put your phantom back in the box and put it in the garage. Then, spend a week learning the manual and watching YouTube tutorials. When you can ID what the different light patterns mean by memory and know what your pre flight checks should be without even thinking about them, you are ready to get it back out again. Make notes on your controller with a sharpie marker pointing out the controls in case you panic and forget. Then, go to a massive open field and fly at 10 feet above the ground moving slowly around and backwards and forwards testing what you have learned. Then do this again. And again. After 3 or 4 battery cycles you might be ready to fly your phantom for fun!

Also, (and this is only my opinion after it being recommended on the forum here) switch to Naza mode straight away. It gives you a whole host of 'saving your butt' functions that Phantom mode doesn't! Don't be afraid of Naza, just make sure the S1 and S2 are UP before you fly. For more info, read this: http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/ ... e-phantom-2-vision/
2014-12-14
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

You have just spent £700 on a high tech quadcopter  don't  write them on - stick them on !!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161232 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
2014-12-14
Use props
mh
lvl.2

United Kingdom

umpa Posted at 2014-12-14 18:58
You have just spent £700 on a high tech quadcopter  don't  write them on - stick them on !!
http:// ...

Damn! How do i remove sharpie marker from plastic?!!
2014-12-14
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Be careful - the case is made of ABS plastic.  Some solvents like Acetone will eat it.  Try mentholated spirit (I think the yanks call it rubbing alcohol).
2014-12-14
Use props
mikegil
lvl.3
United Kingdom

cheers guys, have downloaded the Phantom 2 vision + assistant software V3.6 do i also need the RC assistant V1.1 or is that also part of the V3.6?
umpa good point about flying first before any upgrade so you are aware of any changes to handling
mh and umpa have a mini label printer so will print labels to remind what switches do
I am amazed at how many people are having issues with their phantoms due to either not clear instructions from DJI or faulty goods/components, considering this is an official forum from DJI you would think they would use this to assure customers and iron out any issues for their existing and future customers (hope I don't have any issues when I receive mine )
by the way I live in UK where are the phantoms shipped from?
Cheers Mike
2014-12-14
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

mikegil Posted at 2014-12-15 00:40
cheers guys, have downloaded the Phantom 2 vision + assistant software V3.6 do i also need the RC as ...

You will need both the Phantom 2 vision assistant to calibrate everything on the Phantom itself and the RC Assistant 1.1 to calibrate the Transmitter.  Also if you have windows on your computer, you will need the windows drivers.
2014-12-14
Use props
mikegil
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-12-15 00:48
You will need both the Phantom 2 vision assistant to calibrate everything on the Phantom itself an ...

Hi gerry, am on Mac so no need for windows drivers
2014-12-14
Use props
mikegil
lvl.3
United Kingdom

also read that the vision 2 + is all most at its limit with carrying payload, so can I add the Prop' guards
2014-12-14
Use props
kamikaze
lvl.2

Germany

umpa Posted at 2014-12-14 18:58
http:// ...

@umpa It's amazing to me that there is still new information you giving me

Anyway I was using the Phantom mode first 2 weeks to get a feeling for the phsyical characteristics and get comfortable with the LEDs (red light = front). Than I switched to NAZA mode to get the homelock and the courselock feature. You have to get used to the CL a bit, but now I love the NAZA mode. I was  flying model helicopters for 2 years before (and will).

And of course: a) Read the manual, b) Eat the manual c) Breath the manual
2014-12-14
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

kamikaze Posted at 2014-12-15 01:45
@umpa It's amazing to me that there is still new information you giving me

Anyway I was using t ...

Lol I don't know how to take that.
2014-12-14
Use props