First post
1111 10 2015-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tallbeardy1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Only just found this forum but I have had my Phantom 1 for a while now and have recently fitted a Zenmuse gimbal with gopro.

Whats my best option (if any) for using the gopro for FPV, before I fitted the gimbal I tried using the gopro wifi and the interference nearly lost me the drone! I'm concerned about the space inside the shell as it was already a tight fit with the extra kit I had to fit for the Zenmuse.
2015-9-21
Use props
robertparkhurst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I don't get what your concern is the Gopro is good for FPVing the Zenmuse gimbal is also a good gimbal id run both but put taller landing gear on the phantom so you clear the ground use 9inch props and balance them and a bigger battery  like a 3000mha or a 4000mha battery
2015-9-21
Use props
Tallbeardy1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've had some worrying experiences with the phantom when using the gopro wifi as it seems to interfere with the radio signals and the drone flys itself, just not back to where it started! After a bit of web searching it seemed quite common.

Will the fitting of the Zenmuse have fixed this?
2015-9-21
Use props
robertparkhurst
lvl.4
United States

NO wifi is the prob how can a gimble fix it
2015-9-21
Use props
Tallbeardy1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

That's what I was asking in the first place! All I wanted to know was what I needed to be able to transmit between go pro and iPhone/iPad or whatever?
2015-9-22
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi Tallbeardy1.

To be able to FPV with the Phantom 1 you will need to add a dedicated analog FPV transmitter. The most common frequency, and most 2.4GHz friendly, is 5.8GHz.

There are many different manufacturers but Fatshark (ImmersionRC) and Boscam are the most popular. The cost of these transmitters is usually dictated by the power output.

The most common way of connecting a GOPRO to the Video transmitter is via the USB socket on the side of the camera. Suitable cables are cheap and readily available from the usual Chinese online stores, such as Banggod, Gearbest, Hobbyking,, or Ebay. If you're using a Gopro3 and Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal then the video can be taken from the rear feature connector of the camera via the gimbal but this quite often induces unwanted noise onto the resultant transmission.

There are two main options for receiving the video.

1. Goggles or a headset. Again Fatshark are currently the industry leaders here and offer many different models at varying prices. I use the Fatshark Attitude V2 goggles as these offer a relatively large field of view. In the main dedicated goggles are the most costly option. Next the Headsets. At the lower price point Hobbyking offer the Quanum V2 headset. This is essentially a foam case housing a five inch LCD monitor.  The image is brought to focus by. A plastic Freznel Lens. You will need to supply your own Video receiver. I've recently bought one of these headsets along with a Boscam FR632 32channel diversity receiver and overall I'm very impressed especially when you consider that all together the cost was about £75.  Another headset that is proving popular is the "HeadPlay". This is similar to the Quanum but a lot more refined. It comes complete with a 32Channel Receiver and supports HD via the HDMI port. The optics are also of a much higher quality.  The Headplay retails for about $250. A very recent addition to the headset world is the VX-1. Like the Headplay it has a built in 32Channel receiver and retails for about $175.

2. LCD monitor. Prices of these vary depending on size, resolution, and features. There are some that are purpose made for FPV having built in receivers and some also with built in DVR's. If you go for a generic monitor you want to ensure that in the absence of a signal it doesn't go to a blue screen.

Currently there is no way of viewing the video on an iPhonr or iPad. The Phantom Visions use Wifi via a dedicated App  as the controller frequency is on 5.8 GHz. The Phantom 3's use a proprietary digital  system called Lightbridge

As has already been pointed out it is not advisable to use the GoPro's Wifi feature for FPV for two main reasons.

1.  The WiFi signal is on the same frequency as the Phantom's controller and so fatal interference is unavoidable.

2. The latancy, or lag, of the video is far two great to FPV with and can be as great as 3 to 5 seconds. So you could crash and wouldn't know about it until five seconds later.

Regards

Nidge
2015-9-23
Use props
Tallbeardy1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks Nidge, appreciate that. I found a company here in the UK that supplies a kit (monitor/transmitter/receiver) for £250 but I came to the conclusion it was a similar cost to sell what I've got and buy a used Phantom 2 vision+, better flight time too!
2015-9-23
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Yeah you would be better off with a P2V+
2015-9-25
Use props
robertparkhurst
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-25 21:12
Yeah you would be better off with a P2V+

Ya but not every one wants to spend that much
2015-9-26
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

robertparkhurst Posted at 2015-9-26 05:03
Ya but not every one wants to spend that much

True, and I do admit I forget that sometimes.
2015-9-26
Use props
RATTYDUDE77
lvl.4
United States

ya it sucks the prices went up so much but the technology did to
2016-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules