Fly a small banner
12469 13 2015-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ebonovic
lvl.1

United States

As a gag, I would like to fly a small banner, flag from my P3-Pro.
I thinking it would be a simple as adding, a lightweight rope/string.  with a small weight to keep it from flying up...
And attach the flag, banner to that.. with a long enough lead that the flag will be on the ground till the Quad is at least 5 feet in the air.

Am I under-thinking it?  Has anyone done it?

Flight time is going to be only a few minutes, not trying to fly advertisement or anything.

2015-9-21
Use props
pilot222
lvl.2
United States

Ebonovic, I don't think you'll have too much trouble if your cords don't get pulled up into the props. Especially near the ground the props tend to "recycle" air in a kind of a doughnut pattern around each of the props. That means things (wires, leaves, cords, etc) can get disturbed while on the ground and perhaps pulled into the props. That would end that experiment rather quickly.

Maybe try to keep the banner pulled tight out away from the Phantom, have a long enough cord holding the banner, and of course the bottom seam of the banner has to be heavier than the top, otherwise it will just spin when you fly. It's a bit of a chance, but has some potential. I'd like to know how it comes out.
2015-9-21
Use props
Bobabc
lvl.1

United States

I've lifted things attached to a string. The terbulance is very strong, especially when these are taking off. I had to attach it after take off to prevent it from getting caught in the propellers. I carried about a pound attached to one leg with a hook and if flew perfectly.
2015-9-21
Use props
griff.evans47
lvl.1

United States

I've thought about hanging a "SMILE" banner under my drone. Maybe hanging it with thin fishinf
2015-9-21
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

Drone banner wedding proposals.  You just wait, it will be the next best thing!
2015-9-22
Use props
griff.evans47
lvl.1

United States

I saw a TV show about reasure hunters. They got out of radio range, so the camera crew hung a full-sized storm warning flag to their Inspire !.
2015-9-23
Use props
agrewe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

So what's the plan if a sudden unexpected gust blows it up despite the small weight and it gets into the propellers?
2015-9-23
Use props
ronanphe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4161729 ft
Ireland

Get yourself a $20 collapsible/telescopic fishing rod (without a reel) and tie the banner to the thin end of the rod - separate the sections if necessary at your desired length & attach to the phantom.  it's very lightweight, can be laid flat until you take off (allow slack when attaching to the phantom, so it can move freely) and it's not possible to get it sucked up into the rotors. And it folds back into itself when you're done for transport.
2015-9-23
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

jaronpv@hotmail Posted at 2015-9-22 17:13
Drone banner wedding proposals.  You just wait, it will be the next best thing!

I am realling considering using my drone with a banner to propose to my girlfriend, take her to the beach, take off with the drone, go a little forward, and 180 degrees turn, so the banner shows the front, with the million dollar question, "will you marry me?", lol!
2015-9-23
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

I've seen these.....
Banner.jpg
2015-9-23
Use props
Joe D.
lvl.2
United States

Hey ebonovic, did you get it to work? I want to fly a small banner under my P3 Pro to say GO TIGERS (our high school football team). I had a feeling it was not gonna be as easy as I thought; I figured prop wash would really be interesting and I wasn't even sure if people could read the letters at 150' or so.

So...I had our local sign company make me a test strip of vinyl about 6" x 2' maybe. It had  a grommet on each corner. I zip tied the banner to the landing gear and zip tied 2 fishing sinkers to the bottom. Needless to say the drone went haywire. I had no idea it would be THAT affected by the banner underneath.

So now I am thinking about a 3 or 4' leader going out to the banner. Do you think that is enough to stay out of the prop wash?

Thanks
2016-8-21
Use props
fans065a44bf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 622572 ft
United States

I have flown myvPh as from 4 with a small banner "I Come In Peace" with no issues at all. The banner has cross members that keeps the banner rigid. The banner attaches to landing gear with 2 small Velcro straps. Check it out at NC Drones on FB.
2017-6-2
Use props
Bear5oh
lvl.2
United States

What about using something a bit more rigid for the hanging materials/hardware.  Perhaps picture hanging wire, or a thin 14guage cable, piano wire, etc.  LIght enough to not add too much weight but rigid enough to keep the banner or sign from tossing around too much in the prop wash.  Also, would prop guards help with the concern of the banner flying up under and hitting the props....

Just some thoughts.  I'm toying with the idea of flying a small banner of some type, several feet below my P4A.  Trying to think of the lightest but strongest/safest materials.
2018-9-12
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

"Bear5oh"

Do you note how old this thread is ??
2018-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now