How Hot is Hot?
710 9 2015-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BoomStrike
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Been at this for a while and never seen any camera hold as much heat as the Inspire camera. Just sitting on the bench for 5 minutes the camera will get to a temperture to where its difficult to remove the card without almost burning your hand. I guarentee this will affect the longevity of the components of the camera. Would seem to me that DJI would have choosen to dispate more heat then they do in this application.

Am I the only one concerned over this?

Thanks

2015-9-22
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is the rear fan on the x3 running? They do run hot but hot enough to burn doesn't sound right.
2015-9-22
Use props
BoomStrike
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the reply - yes the fan is running and it appears to be taking air in the front and exhausting it to the rear - ambient temperatures are pretty moderate around 70-80 degrees.

I have a temp gun somewhere - has anyone shot the camera skin to see what temp seems normal?

Thanks
2015-9-22
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

My inspire1 got that hot during a firmware update then the aircraft failed.
I too wonder what the optimal temp should be
2015-9-22
Use props
BoomStrike
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

At that heat level - its easy for a component to thermal out and short - wonder if the camera might be responsible for a few of the failures we're seeing happen in the field.
2015-9-22
Use props
BoomStrike
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I fired up the machine (standby) and in 15 minutes it reached 122 degrees not near as hot during flights outside - the temp was 75 degrees so in 90 + degree heat this camera could reach some fairly high temperatures.
IMG_2247.JPG
2015-9-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Wow, sometimes my gimbal will feel warm but never hot like that!
2015-9-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

BoomStrike Posted at 2015-9-22 19:38
I fired up the machine (standby) and in 15 minutes it reached 122 degrees not near as hot during fli ...

mine gets hot and at this point I have never checked the temperature. One thing about my Inspire is I have never seen the cooling fan run on the camera. It gets super hot during firmware updates and I train a fan on the front during the updates.

Rich
2015-9-22
Use props
BoomStrike
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Rich even at 75 degrees room temp my fan kicks on as I power up - Keep your eye on it!
2015-9-22
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

BoomStrike Posted at 2015-9-22 22:38
I fired up the machine (standby) and in 15 minutes it reached 122 degrees not near as hot during fli ...

You should check that issue with DJI immediately, i am pretty sure some Inspire that had issues in mid-air it's beacause this situation, i live in Dominican Republic, where the temperature are minimum 85-90 degrees during the day, sometimes a 100, after seeing your post i will start to check mine on each flight.

Regards,

Leo
2015-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules