1034 7 2015-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ndamico1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 505889 ft
United States

Hey Everyone,

Just a little backstory: I've been flying an Inspire 1 for a little while now and have been doing a lot of work over water. Unfortunately, this past weekend I had a little run in with a body of water.

If you'd like to see it, this is a goofy little edit I did for instagram: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3krg595eopk252/DyersQuarryCrash.mp4?dl=0

So, basically I skimmed the water and the only parts that actually submerged were the camera and gimbal. I atleast pulled up in time to save the drone from a watery grave. I guess I got a little too cocky getting close to the water! Amazingly, after taking the necessary precautions to dry out the drone, the gimbal and camera are 100% working. My only issue is the battery. It didn't get submerged, but it obviously got splashed considering the circumstances. I just took it out for a quick low-altitude flight and there were no problems with the battery. Voltages were in the green and I noticed no problems. The only problem I'm seeing is the fact that I ran the battery down to 0% and for the last 20 minutes it's been sitting at 0% and STILL hasn't died. The DJI GO app is telling me theres 0mAh remaining. It also says I've charged the battery a total of 31 times. I think I've only charged it less than a dozen times. Should I consider it a goner before something catastrophic happens? Or once it fully cycles will it return to normal?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: As I wrote this, it finally died. Going to let it cool down and charge it back to 100%, unless I'm advised not to.
2015-9-22
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

Alright Maverick,  no more fly by's.
2015-9-22
Use props
ndamico1
lvl.1
United States

Hahah ...

Yeah, I'm not proud of that one. Atleast the camera stayed on to get the footage so other people can laugh at my stupidity.
2015-9-22
Use props
joeyjoe
lvl.2

United States

You're the luckiest Inspire 1 pilot I've seen yet and that is one cool video!
I would ditch the battery if I were you and be glad the whole episode only cost $200.
2015-9-22
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

If the battery just got splashed I'm not sure I would 86 it. Let it dry out for a couple days. You can always charge it put it back in and just hover a few feet from the ground and let the battery drain out and see how it goes. After all that's $200 but be safe and not fly far with it until you are certain.
2015-9-22
Use props
BoomStrike
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Well that's one way to cool off the "Hot" camera! Lol
2015-9-22
Use props
g_audio
lvl.1
United States

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to take my losses. The fact that the app is reporting that the battery has been charged 31 times concerns me. I should be able to return it, but it's quite the predicament. I originally ordered a TB47, but within the DJI battery box (which was labeled TB47) was a TB48. So, I feel like if I return it they're going to have a problem with the battery being different than the packaging. Karma for not reporting it, or returning it immediately, I guess.
2015-9-23
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

You should return the battery to DJI, maybe they will exchange it for a new one, its safer to lose USD200 than USD2,900 for the whole bird...
2015-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules