Handheld for inspire- is it EVER going to be real?
1432 12 2015-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

So, I guess it's safe to say Dji screwed us by letting us think we could purchase the handbell option down the road as a way to get us to purchase the Inspire. Can anyone here or here from DJI comment on what the real deal is because Yuneec is starting to look quite interesting now that Iwe've waited like 10 months for this handheld to come out.
2015-9-23
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

Just my opinion but I think DJI realized that a handheld w/o the ability to capture sound is no good. So probably back to the drawing board.
2015-9-23
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

jones5r Posted at 2015-9-23 11:15
Just my opinion but I think DJI realized that a handheld w/o the ability to capture sound is no good ...

That is the first logical thing I've read on this subject. One idea would that since we have to use a iphone or something similar as our view finder that it wouldn't be all too hard to write some code to add the ability to record sound through the DJI Go software but of course make us purchase our own mic that would plug in to the headphone/mic jack like we do now for headphones. I'm not a programmer so maybe that's really hard or something. I would actually like the ability to use my own mic. They do have XLR to 1/8" adapters but then the next problem is the ability to mount the mic maybe. Who knows, but sound was not even a thought to me in regards to this. Good thought!
2015-9-23
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

I can tell you that DJI is still working on it. Please don't give up hope.
2015-9-23
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-23 14:35
I can tell you that DJI is still working on it. Please don't give up hope.

whats the holdup?  Its been almost a year, they shouldve been able to produce at least 5 or more prototype versions of it in that much time.   Is it plagued by the pesky horizon tilt issues that the inspires gimble has also?
2015-9-23
Use props
pauldean85
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I'd imagine that DJI would want to release a device that can also support the X5 and X5R, as well as the X3.
2015-9-23
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

It takes time doing research and testing. I have no doubt that DJI is working around the clock.
2015-9-23
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Had a great conversation with the guys at my LHS about the Inspire and how it's going in general.
They brought up the subject of the handheld mount - they're of the opinion that it won't be released, purely due to the cost factor.
The prototypes shown earlier this year were very early designs, each of which had an entire FC built into it along with the tablet interfacing from the RC, so basically the guts of the Inspire's electronics just to drive the camera and gimbal.

As initially designed, you would be talking thousands for such a thing, certainly not hundreds.

So DJI might:

A)  be re-engineering it around a cheaper design.  
B)  release it at a time when they believe that people would be ready to pay a premium
C)  forget about it and move on.  
My money would be on 'C', but you never know!

2015-9-23
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372287 ft
Greece

i believe that nothing has to do with the cost of production. . . . . . why?  ? ? here you are: http://yuneec.com/products/aerialuav/q500_4k/
price: https://vhdrones.com/home/213-yu ... kage-with-case.html
1300 usd and you have it all. . . . .

less here: http://www.amazon.com/Yuneec-Qua ... luded/dp/B00TO02H9E
2015-9-26
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

delas Posted at 2015-9-26 03:42
i believe that nothing has to do with the cost of production. . . . . . why?  ? ? here you are: http ...

agreed, they even have a better camera than DJI for cheaper!  I honestly dont see what so expensive about the inspire, it seems way overpriced for what it does compared to the competition.  electronics are cheap, and the outdated ones dji uses are even cheaper.  

More likely they have a bad design for their handheld and cant figure out a better one or something, still with their crap ass current camera i dont see much reason why anyone would want the handheld gimble anyway, there are tons of better quality options out there for getting footage on the ground, heck a gimble that would stabilize my samsung galaxy note 4 would get better quality stills and 4k than the inspire camera can anyway!

If they ever intend to release one id guess it would work with their new cameras they have coming out most likely.  It doesnt take a year to create a product like this so theres definitely some reason they havent done so yet.
2015-9-26
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-9-23 16:33
whats the holdup?  Its been almost a year, they shouldve been able to produce at least 5 or more p ...

The horizon tilt has been a persistent issue on all Zenmuse based gimbals for as long as I can remember (Z15, H3-3D, H4-3D, etc all do this as well).

As such, It probably won't be getting fixed any time soon. If DJI lets drift issue persist on the $3000 Z15 units they're not going to do anything to fix it in the $600 X3 unit. Solution is the same for all units (except the GoPro units): have your camera operator manually correct it.

Also, as far as handheld units go - try using a Ronin. Same issue. They run well on boot but you're racking them and re-powering them every 20-30 minutes of shooting to reset the horizon.
2015-9-27
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

jones5r Posted at 2015-9-23 18:15
Just my opinion but I think DJI realized that a handheld w/o the ability to capture sound is no good ...

Its not about the MIC. The prototype which was presented had a built-in mic.

My guess is: It has to do something with Ronin-M. X3 is a pretty great camera, and if they release a 300$ handheld gimbal + 600$ camera, it would still cost a lot less then Ronin+Any camera. It would cannibalize ronin sales. This might be the reason.. but there may be other issues with product development that we are not aware.

Personally I would really like to see it released, as I'm planning to buy an X5 or X5R(camera only) and I could use the gimbal for X3
2015-9-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

jones5r Posted at 2015-9-24 02:15

Definitely nothing to do with sound.  Would be dead easy to build a mic into the handle or even easier use the phone to record the sound and port it to the SD through the cable live.

No brainer so must be something else.
2015-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules